• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I prefer to buy used, in fact I only have one new gun in my collection. The one new one was a gift from my wife for an anniversary.
    Price isn't the only reason I buy used. I prefer that the government not know exactly what I have. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm actually an elected official. I just like to control the info on me that is out there.

I'm curious if others feel the same way?

TO
    Only TEN posts.. and an elected official? I am an elected official too.. back when i was just a sperm my parents officially elected to have me. :) My name is John Doe just for the record I will make it easier so you don't have to do any searches, I am not a conspiracy theorist either. :)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Wait a minute... This now means i love my family.. I had no idea.. I just liked the gun. ironically i think that one was 600.. and it was a fair deal :)

Same here i had a used one that i paid $385 for then i decided that i like a different one better. Instead of getting it used i said hey i will get it new that way i know what has been done and how it has been handled so i will pay $602 new. It is a CZ and worth it just like the Sig i got my gf also $600 and way worth hearing her say she loves it and carries it every day. If i had paid $600 for a hipoint well there would be your problem.

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    Going back to a previous comment about The Blue Book and similar price guides, how accurate are they?

It sounds like the way to start selling a gun is to assess the quality using your best judgment and list in the higher end of the posted range. If it doesn't sell within a week or so, reduce to the middle of the range, and so on. Is this a reasonable approach or does this lead to overly aggressive initial prices?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    The problem with Blue Book and other printed guides is that they can't keep up with fluctuations in popularity or price. The best place to get real time pricing is on gunbroker.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There is an element of economics involved here. When the government devalues the currency by printing a trillion more reserve notes, prices must go up. Perhaps some economic and math master can do the math for us and compare current prices with prices in 2008 and adult for inflation. It may be that some of the cause of the high prices is the devaluation of the dollar.

Last edited:

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Best thing about using GunBroker as your price source you tend to get a real time feel for what people are WILLING to pay for the guns. The night before gun shows I tend to spend time on there looking at the guns I'm interested in and then go from there.
    Sometimes I'll look them up further to find a balance between the new numbers.

Setting at the last gun show it became apparent to me that the average joe really wants the nice new black guns...polymer guns seem to sell..LOL

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I keep hearing that sales of new firearms keep climbing and climbing. Also, it seems that many of the threads on INGO focus on relatively new firearms.

How much demand is there these days for used pistols from the 1970s-1980s?
    Being as though prices on firearms seems to climb as fast as the demand seems to be climbing, I would imagine that used guns are selling just as fast as new ones are. JMHO.:dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Those that use the crystal ball sometimes eat glass.:D

Man, I was waaaay off in 2008 at the start of this recession/economic slowdown. I was poised for dropping prices across the board, man, did I miss this one.

While I have scored more than several deals I have not had the kills I thought I would. Market is red hot.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Those that use the crystal ball sometimes eat glass.:D

Man, I was waaaay off in 2008 at the start of this recession/economic slowdown. I was poised for dropping prices across the board, man, did I miss this one.

While I have scored more than several deals I have not had the kills I thought I would. Market is red hot.

Yes - I've been baffled by so many unknowns in this 'hobby' of ours.

Too many variables and surprises for me to imagine. I'm thinking there will be a drop, but I sure as heck am not going to expect it. So I hem and haw like my old grandmothra choosing fabric for her next project.

Just go about buying like anything else, that is: with a cautious suspicion.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    No, when a new Glock or XD is $500 and people post WTS ads for $600-$700 for a used Glock or XD, that IS high :noway:

Sorry but Glocks are a dime a dozen and people that think they can get their full retail+ $100/$200 for a couple extra mags for a used Glock is smoking some funny. :n00b::n00b:

Especially for people that can get new Glock with LE Pricing for $400.

So you've been shopping in the INGO classified section too?

I am amazed at some of the prices people are asking for used guns. I realize you need to leave yourself some barganing room, but come on, be realistic.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I have decided not to sell my guns anymore, I guess if I want something, I'll just have to pay the prevailing price. I wish I had never sold my S&W 586! I would just like to see a selection to choose from instead of having to "settle" for something that is not my first choice. But second or third choice will be okay. I tend to start at the low end and dream myself to the top end when really a mid tier product will be fine.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Too many variables and surprises for me to imagine. I'm thinking there will be a drop, but I sure as heck am not going to expect it.

One of my favorite sayings in the gun collecting business, er, I mean I don't collect, I invest . . . yes, that's it I invest in guns, is "YOU DON'T PAY TOO MUCH, YOU ONLY BUY TOO SOON".:D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So you've been shopping in the INGO classified section too?

I am amazed at some of the prices people are asking for used guns. I realize you need to leave yourself some barganing room, but come on, be realistic.

That's funny because it's true. In regards to new guns, have you ever thought how much a Mosin would be if it were newly manufactured and made in the US? I bet they would be over $400 easy.

Last edited:

itsgreg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hudson
    I prefer to buy used, in fact I only have one new gun in my collection. The one new one was a gift from my wife for an anniversary.
    Price isn't the only reason I buy used. I prefer that the government not know exactly what I have. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm actually an elected official. I just like to control the info on me that is out there.

I'm curious if others feel the same way?

TO

you know that the government doesn't know what you have when you buy a new gun? when you fill out a nix check to buy a gun the only info thats sent to the government, is that you tried to buy either a long gun or a hand gun. the paper work you filled out doesnt get sent on to the government the gun shop keeps that info.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    you know that the government doesn't know what you have when you buy a new gun? when you fill out a nix check to buy a gun the only info thats sent to the government, is that you tried to buy either a long gun or a hand gun. the paper work you filled out doesnt get sent on to the government the gun shop keeps that info.

I think you forgot the purple? ATF has been known to violate the law by keeping the background check data indefinitely which is a no-no and also going into gun shops and photocopying all of the 4473s (also illegal). Those also get sent to ATF if a shop closes. They are only supposed to be able to pull a 4473 during an active investigation where they trace the gun to the shop it was sold from. During the Beltway sniper case they went door to door using every 4473 they could get their hands on. That is also illegal and it did not help break the case.

Top Bottom