• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I'm just curious how long the inflated prices will last. I wonder if things will ever return to normal even after the gun control measures die?

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Its all going down, just taking time. Right now the ammo is high but the guns are going down. Walked into a shop today with a 1300 DPMS and a 1600$ RRA still sittin on the wall last I went in there 2 weeks ago. It will all be down again soon enough, just have to wait a little longer..

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yes gun prices are falling. Ammo is still expensive because guys buy it all up and then turn around and resell it. When people stop paying they will stop buying up all the ammo.
    I was in greencastle today and Walmart has 100rnd federal 9mm value packs for $22. There were three left. I bought two and let a guy who showed up once they were all on the counter buy the third one. I just saw some clown on Hoosier topics in Brazil has federal 100 round value packs for $50. Now if someone is foolish enough to buy from he just made $28 a box. Once he has to hold onto the ammo he will stop buying it up for resale.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I think the "panic buying" is just about over on firearms. Think you will see November 2012 prices in a month or two.

However ammo may be another matter. A lot of regular shooters have depleted their supply and will be OK with paying a 20-30% premium to build their stock back up.

Along with the "regulars" are a Whole bunch of new gun owners that probably are willing to pay 30% 40% premium to get ammo for their "new" firearms. Add to that the current shortage on store shelves I would say it will be 4 to 6 months before ammo is back to normal.

One mitigating factor may be that speculators (unknown how many /much ammo is in their hoards) will soon start to unload their supply when the market starts to fall. In my opinion many will be selling for less than they paid if they don't do that in the next month. In view of these facts ammo may settle down in the next 3 to 4 months to a "reasonable" price somewhere between 20 to 30% above November sales prices.

I think primers and components will start dropping in price in about 3 ~4 months, and supplies will be back on the shelf. Six months from now I think you will see primers / components back to near Nov. prices.

One thing I am really hoping for is that the people that have been complaining about those of us that keep a large stock of ammo all the time will realize that this can and will happen again! And that they become one of US before the next occurrence. Ammo doesn't eat anything, increases in value, doesn't take up a lot of storage room and can be stored for many (I'm shooting 50+ year old ammo with no issues) years.

When the prices normalize (may be a little higher than before but not a lot) buy some every month - at least 2X what you use. When its on a good sale buy in bulk, if you are a shooter it will never go to waste! That way no one will be whining and complaining the rest of us are "Hoarding" - cause I will keep buying and storing, or as some call it hording!

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think the "panic buying" is just about over on firearms. Think you will see November 2012 prices in a month or two.

However ammo may be another matter. A lot of regular shooters have depleted their supply and will be OK with paying a 20-30% premium to build their stock back up.

Along with the "regulars" are a Whole bunch of new gun owners that probably are willing to pay 30% 40% premium to get ammo for their "new" firearms. Add to that the current shortage on store shelves I would say it will be 4 to 6 months before ammo is back to normal.

One mitigating factor may be that speculators (unknown how many /much ammo is in their hoards) will soon start to unload their supply when the market starts to fall. In my opinion many will be selling for less than they paid if they don't do that in the next month. In view of these facts ammo may settle down in the next 3 to 4 months to a "reasonable" price somewhere between 20 to 30% above November sales prices.

I think primers and components will start dropping in price in about 3 ~4 months, and supplies will be back on the shelf. Six months from now I think you will see primers / components back to near Nov. prices.

If you are correct and accurate, it looks like my guns will be in the safe this year. It is a stretch for me to financially afford to shoot different events(IDPA, Steel Challenge, etc.) at pre panic prices. If ammo stays that high, I may as well train to run a marathon and try shooting again next year.:(

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    Don't get me wrong. I love the shooting sports but I refuse to over pay for my toys. I'm also a career LEO I won't over pay for my tools either. I will just wait for things to calm down.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As others have noted, prices are getting back to normal. SAR-1s are back to about $600 on gunbroker, anything higher than that has no bids, and that's maybe a 10-15% premium over pre-panic prices. ARs are creeping back down, as well.

I think once the tax refund checks are spent, that'll be the last hurrah, barring something unforeseen.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I think once the tax refund checks are spent, that'll be the last hurrah, barring something unforeseen.

I think that is what partially drove the panic buying, people spent their tax checks on this stuff, even before they had their tax checks. I'd say by May, we'll start seeing normal prices in most gun stores, by years end, I'd venture to guess prices will be pre-Nov 2012 prices. Though I have heard from many manufactures saying that it will take 8-12 months to complete all the orders on their books, after that, stuff will come down drastically. Barring any other shooting event(which could easily happen).

Top Bottom