• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Got a Ruger 10-22 with a Tac-Sol tensioned barrel and have a Power Custom Titanium Sharp Claw Extractor but stil having extraction problems. Shooting Aguila super extra 40 gr sub sonic and every few rounds the extractor rides over the case rim and leaves the case in the chamber. This happens both with fired shells as well as unfired. Scratchin my head here for a solution. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
    Dwight

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Got a Ruger 10-22 with a Tac-Sol tensioned barrel and have a Power Custom Titanium Sharp Claw Extractor but stil having extraction problems. Shooting Aguila super extra 40 gr sub sonic and every few rounds the extractor rides over the case rim and leaves the case in the chamber. This happens both with fired shells as well as unfired. Scratchin my head here for a solution. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
    Dwight

Clean your chamber or change ammo. The ammo is sticking.

Extractors don't have to extract the cartridge upon firing since the ammo blowing back out of the barrel (upon firing) is what actually moves the bolt. The extractor does nothing if the bolt doesn't move and that sounds like what is happening during the firing process.

For non-fired ammo, the extractor is failing to pull the sticking ammo out of the end of the barrel when you cycle the bolt. Still same solution.

Remove barrel - chuck a bronze bore brush into a drill, use some bore solvent, and make sure it doesn't go deeper than the case of a 22Lr cartridge.

Good luck!

Les

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I did change the spring as well IG77. Les I was thinkin along those lines, I will give the chamber some attention like you said and hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for the tip.
    D

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I did change the spring as well IG77. Les I was thinkin along those lines, I will give the chamber some attention like you said and hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for the tip.
    D

You're welcome! Been there myself several times. The custom barrels usually have tighter chambers and 10/22s are very dirty in that area (because of blowback design) and notoriously difficult to clean. I drilled my receiver in the rear so I can do this type of cleaning if necessary, without removing the barrel (after removing the bolt).

Les

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Dwight

Sounds to me like the sub sonic ammo is not hot enough to cycle the bolt far enough for the case to clear the chamber and strike the ejector. Since the case is still in the chamber, are you sure the bolt actually cycling? Think about it, if the bolt moves back 3/4 of an inch, far enough for the case to clear the chamber, but not far enough for it to be kicked out by the ejector, the case would end up being wedged up against the top of the reciever by the next round trying to chamber.

10ring1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Could be a number of things, tight chamber, dirty chamber, subs not strong enough, ammo? Any updates?

10ring1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    PS Could also be the barrel. Last thing once you have ruled out all others, I would question the barrel itself.

Top Bottom