• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I'm doing some market research prior to opening a custom 1911 shop in north central Indiana. I will be performing the usual modifications as well as offering complete pistols to my own specifications. I'm trying to estimate local i.e statewide interest in such an operation for business planning purposes. Any input much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've ponied up for custom work on 1911s, and I'd be interested in what you could offer in both services and full custom builds. If I had any useful advice I think it would be to caution you that, like breweries, there will always be room for another excellent 1911 pistol smith, but with all the talent available both locally and nationwide, you're going to have to differentiate yourself somehow.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Personally I would love to have a great 1911 smith in IN. I would much rather take my guns to you than send them out of state somewhere. Providing of course, prices and services are in line with what I would want done to the gun.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Do yourself a big favor and do a complete business plan. Formats are available all over the net and usually are included with a business 101 textbook. So many businesses start and fail because they could not foresee all of the expenses and risks associated with a new start-up. It's not as easy as it looks sometimes.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I'd love to have a talented 1911 builder in Indiana, however, be real and honest with yourself about what you intend to achieve. If your plan is to get independently wealthy building exciting and exotic guns for customers with deep pockets, think again. If your plan is to do something you enjoy and maybe turn a buck, go for it.

In this day and age there are more and more very talented builders and fewer and fewer customers willing to pay for a well built "custom" 1911. To be competitive you will have to turn out a shockingly great product with extraordinary customer service for a price far less than the real value of your time and efforts.

Best of Luck, as I have several 1911 projects I'd like to have finished!

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'd love to have the opportunity to buy a Indiana made quality 1911. Especially a GI model. Add to that a custom parts 'menu' and I think you have a good chance at financial independence.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Welcome, and good luck! In NWI, there is Gutridge and his 1911 work is phenominal. His dad, Jack was a world-renown gunsmith and his 1911 custom work was as famous. I've handled and shot some of the 1911s that he's done little and large mods on...awesome.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there are enough custom 1911 folks in your neck of the woods that would justify you renting/buying your own shop. If you are working out of the house, then claim it and write it off. If your work is known and you become one of the go to 1911 smiths, then I can see you opening a shop. You may need to build a few and send one off to some reviewers...

Again, I wish you the best! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

EDIT: I would say to all those telling you to do it, to submit their orders with their comments.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As many have said...luck to you.
    Not sure how many big time custom 1911 people are around your area. I have found competent smiths locally that fill all of our needs.
    Show us some of your work. Being a 1911 addict who knows, impulse is a major factor when you already own so many.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    You need a local 1911-loving competition shooter to promote your product. I just happen to know a guy..... :D

Top Bottom