• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would also humbly suggest not only building 1911's, but also providing preventative maintenance/inspections at reasonable cost. I have a pet 1911 (in fact two of them) that have not been fully disassembled for years. Sure, I can take the slide apart, but I've had no experience whatsoever disassembling the lower frame. It may be simple and straightforward, but so is building a house when you know how to do it.

I take care of them, however, once in a while a knowledgeable 1911 gunsmith should detail them and inspect parts, replace springs, etc. that I'm not comfortable doing without potentially ruining something.

Also, refininshing services whether they be bluing, hardchroming, Cerakote, etc. should also be offered with a reasonable turnaround time.

Food for thought.

averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Fellows,

Thanks for all of your comments. Tentative launch date is January 2014. We're attending Brownell's Gunsmith Fair in Des Moines this week to do some networking and meet up with old friends. I have lots of work to do before I'm up and running but I think we will be able to offer outstanding service and products at a fair price. Stay tuned.

Best Regards,

Mark

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm doing some market research prior to opening a custom 1911 shop in north central Indiana. I will be performing the usual modifications as well as offering complete pistols to my own specifications. I'm trying to estimate local i.e statewide interest in such an operation for business planning purposes. Any input much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark
    What makes you especially and specifically qualified to work on 1911 pistols?

Why would I choose you over Clark, or Cylinder & Slide, or Volkmann, or Cabot, or Vickers, or Tussy or any of the already established 1911 shops?

My view of 1911s is that they are a real beast to make right and some shops do it and some shops don't have what it takes. Are you a USPSA competitor with lots of experience in shooting custom guns and modifying your own? Are you a machinist who's turned gunsmith and IDPA shooter? Have you designed any parts for 1911s on your own that are especially useful? The thing with the 1911 is that its not like an AR15 where you can assemble it from parts and it works, these guns need to be fitted and honed to make them work. What are your thoughts on the work of Swenson, or Woodcock, or Belhert with their custom guns and can you begin to match the innovations that they have given the world?

I am all in favor of another gunsmith building special 1911s but I think anyone who ventures into the field better have some crazy mad skills and lots of very specific knowledge, backed up by real experience.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    In general I think 1911 work is too expensive. By the time you take a basic 1911 and mod it with the popular mods you might as well go to the LGS and spend a couple hundred bucks extra and end up with a whole new pistol and not have to wait a year for it and wonder if it will meet your expectations.

If you can find a way to perform quality work at a fair price and not have someones gun tied up for months on end you'll do just fine.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Melensdad,

You mention what I think are outside shops.
    What about Indiana 1911 guys like Saltzman, Trester or Keller?
    Heck there may be a bunch more established shops, or guys coming up with solid reps..........would the market support another start up?

(dunno, am just asking)

Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I'm doing some market research prior to opening a custom 1911 shop in north central Indiana. I will be performing the usual modifications as well as offering complete pistols to my own specifications. I'm trying to estimate local i.e statewide interest in such an operation for business planning purposes. Any input much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Mark, I went down this same road a few months back and the best response I received was in the form of a humorous anecdote.

What do gunsmiths and a large dominoes pizza have in common...... Neither can feed a family of four.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I was waiting for someone to mention Neil Keller. I'll reiterate what I said early in the thread. A competent 1911 smith will get work, but there are world class 'smiths established here and around here, so a new full on custom house is going to have to convince me to spend my dollars there through some kind of differentiation.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Where does the line start?! From what I've been told just today I'll be waiting months just to get my ramp/throat polished! Sign me up

averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Good afternoon,

Over the last few weeks I've received PM's through this forum inquiring about my upcoming 1911 Custom Shop. Since my post count here is apparently too low to respond to PM's, kindly contact me at averycustompistols@yahoo.com with any questions. I promise to respond to all interested promptly.

Cordially,

Mark Avery

Top Bottom