• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Just thinking about getting one of these. I see PSA has them 30% off and I have been wanting a 1911. Not much more for this than a Ruger 1911......can I get rid of the crimson grips and put regular grips?

What say you guys and gals? This is my first 1911 style gun.....any advice.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Yes 1911 for the most part will work with any 1911 grips. Is the cost good enough to buy them with the CT grips? What does the 1911 cost w/o them? You can always try to sell the CT grips after you buy it, maybe $150+ Good luck

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Im looking at getting a set of grips for my 1911 I have on order and those bad boys are $399?? They really only offer 2 choices for bobtail cut frames. Guy at work has a Kimber with them and swears by them.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yes 1911 for the most part will work with any 1911 grips. Is the cost good enough to buy them with the CT grips? What does the 1911 cost w/o them? You can always try to sell the CT grips after you buy it, maybe $150+ Good luck

I am not sure this gun comes without them. PSA had it for $1200 and then 30% off....around $840. They are now sold out. I am brand new to 1911's and Kimber.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    The Crimson Carry does not come without the CT grips, that is where they get the name for that model.
    That being said, the Crimson Carry other than the Alloy frame, two-tone finish and CT grips is nothing special........ no night sights, checkered front strap or mag well.

At the sale price it would have made a nice full size carry 1911 because of the lighter weight of the alloy frame. For me it would be less than an ideal strictly range gun because of the alloy frame.

A steel frame's weight helps tame recoil a bit and makes for a more enjoyable range gun especially if you like to put a lot of rounds through it in a single session..... but that is just my opinion.

So it just depends on your intended use of the 1911, that is what will tell you which models you need to be looking at ;)

I am a Kimber fan myself , have a few 5" ones already and have a new one for carry on order (a Tactical Custom). So there are other models I would be looking at before the Crimson Carry again just my opinion :)

Good luck on your shopping....... the shopping is almost as much fun as the shooting almost:cool:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The Crimson Carry does not come without the CT grips, that is where they get the name for that model.
    That being said, the Crimson Carry other than the Alloy frame, two-tone finish and CT grips is nothing special........ no night sights, checkered front strap or mag well.

At the sale price it would have made a nice full size carry 1911 because of the lighter weight of the alloy frame. For me it would be less than an ideal strictly range gun because of the alloy frame.

A steel frame's weight helps tame recoil a bit and makes for a more enjoyable range gun especially if you like to put a lot of rounds through it in a single session..... but that is just my opinion.

So it just depends on your intended use of the 1911, that is what will tell you which models you need to be looking at ;)

I am a Kimber fan myself , have a few 5" ones already and have a new one for carry on order (a Tactical Custom). So there are other models I would be looking at before the Crimson Carry again just my opinion :)

Good luck on your shopping....... the shopping is almost as much fun as the shooting almost:cool:

Thanks for information. Can you tell me which Kimber has a steel frame that is comparable to the Crimson Carry in 5". I don't plan on carrying this gun....just looking for occasional range gun.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    The basic Custom would be close but it only comes in all black or all stainless. Either on of those would make a good range gun and are priced in the $770-870 range depending on which one you like.
    If you still want a two tone you will have to step way up in price to find a steel framed two tone Kimber....other than the Eclipse which is a different style of two tone the only other one I can think of is the Super Match but it has adjustable sights and you really don't want to now the price on one of them ;)

My suggestion if you don't mind spending a little extra would be the TLE in either black or stainless, you get a steel framed 5" with a checkered front strap and night sights in case you would ever want to use it for HD or low light shooting.

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    The Custom Crimson Carry II was the first 1911 I bought and I still have it. I started out using it as a range gun, but like BH said, the alloy frame is less than ideal for that and you'll notice the wear pretty quickly. Great carry gun, though.

Top Bottom