• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I too would like to know why copper? I dont even know who does a finish like that, on the other hand I have used Robar in AZ before with good results. I know they dont do copper though so I guess that wont help alot

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    She just likes the look of copper over everything else, ( we ever get married I think I could get her a copper wedding ring).

I'm under the impression that copper is plated prior to nickel, as stated by ckcollins2003.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Your right with the copper. Im sure that anyone that does nickel can do copper. It should be able to be done. Just dont fihish the last step. The only problem I see is that copper is really soft and would wear really bad. Plus it will also oxidize quickly being that it will be handled. I would really recommend not doing a copper plate cause it will be green soon. Unless she likes the statue of liberty color.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Your right with the copper. Im sure that anyone that does nickel can do copper. It should be able to be done. Just dont fihish the last step. The only problem I see is that copper is really soft and would wear really bad. Plus it will also oxidize quickly being that it will be handled. I would really recommend not doing a copper plate cause it will be green soon. Unless she likes the statue of liberty color.

This is the biggest problem I foresee as well. It will turn green rather quickly, but if there's some sort of a "clear coat" that you can apply over the copper finish to help protect it from the climate and skin oils you might be alright. I'm not aware of any such thing but I'm sure if you talk around enough to people who do the actual copper plating they will have some suggestions and ideas to deter the oxidation.:)

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I am an electrician and I have to deal with the oxidation of copper a lot. I know for electrical parts they make stuff called nolox but as far as clear coat I am not sure. Just as a suggestion I would contact Duracoat and see if they dont have a copper form of paint. I know they carry thousands of different kinds of coatings. Just a thought and best of luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom