• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    So I got some nice Pelican cases from work and I want to make them into gun / ammo cases. The problem is that I need to replace the foam in them. I found the pick n pluck replacements but they are really expensive and I don't want to spend several hundred doing this. So I need suggestions on this. Most are about 18in x18in x 8in and I got 10 of them. I thought about expanding foam and trim it out but I want something I can change , reconfigure without a lot of work. So through out some thought. Thanks

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    You might get your local fabric store I made a pull out tray for the back of my SUV and got some nice foam for a good price

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I don't think I'll sell any. I wanted more but could not get them. There are just endless uses for a crush proof water tight box. I thinking about painting them OD green but I'm not sure how well it will stick or if it will scratch up easily and look like ****.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    A caution about the expanding stuff:

I'm in the freelance film industry and I know a few guys who made the inserts for their equipment cases out of expanding foam. Seemed to work fine for a while, but then we discovered that it was absorbing a lot of moisture from the air, to the point that it was fogging the lenses and other equipment in the cases. They got rid of the expanding stuff shortly thereafter and now use normal cut-to-fit foam for all their cases.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    A caution about the expanding stuff:

I'm in the freelance film industry and I know a few guys who made the inserts for their equipment cases out of expanding foam. Seemed to work fine for a while, but then we discovered that it was absorbing a lot of moisture from the air, to the point that it was fogging the lenses and other equipment in the cases. They got rid of the expanding stuff shortly thereafter and now use normal cut-to-fit foam for all their cases.

Thanks for the info. I guess the old standard holds true, go cheap now and you'll pay more latter.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just get a few old couch cushions. I used the foam from one to make an old Dewalt sawzaw case into a gun case for my 44. Worked great!

And usually it's free.

Top Bottom