• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Okay say for example i have a glock gun or any other polymer gun that has a metal strip in it for the serial number.

Is it inlawful to modify the "reciever/lower" by say milling a lower out of metal to thr exact specifications that glock had then remove the serial from the original lower put the serial on the new and improved lower (of course with out ruining the serial plate). Use all the other glock componets such as trigger etc pims springs what not in the new lower. And then demil the original poly part so it can not be used anymore?

Silly question. But wouldnt that be kinda like just trading out the barrel or grips?

One question i cant find the appropriate answer to and my google que is failing me at the moment. :(

I would think it would be unlawful due to some technicality.

But i know with planes for example if you fabercated every single part new. And some how had original serial plate from a totaled plan cira 1945. You would indeed have a legit 1945 plane even if every part of the plane was made in 2012 except that plate..

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Why not just mill your own receiver and not bother putting a serial on it? As long as you're building it for personal use, you are fine. See the 80% receiver AK builds for reference.

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    What nick89302 said. If it's for personal use, you can mill your own receiver, and there's no need to move the serial number. If you're creating something with the intent of selling, you'll need to proper licensing and to create your own serial numbers.

This is part of the appeal of the 80% AR and AK lowers. I can order one without needing an FFL to transfer it to me, and I can finish it myself.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you make your own, they recommend you put a serial number on it, but there is no actual requirement I'm aware of. I have some 80% lowers waiting for me to do some milling & drilling, and I think I'm going to put date codes on them in the form of a serial number, mostly so I can tell them apart. In your case, I'd say make the frame, with or without s/n, but keep the old one and put the parts back on the original frame if you have a need or desire to sell it. As stated above, you can make your own, but only if you're not selling them.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Okay i will not mess with the serial number on the "grip" of the poly gun.
    I will place my own serial number on my new reciever.
    I was aware of the 80% lowers for rifles.
    Never saw anything for hand guns though.

So if for personal use i could mill a lower upper and every part of a gun from steel or what ever and make my own gun as long as i dont sell it? As long as its not a machine gun i am golden?

Top Bottom