Customs agents seized lawful gun owner’s truck over five bullets. Now he’s suing

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My wife was riding with a friend to Canada, and sitting in the back seat so she had room to rest. They didn't seem interested if she had guns or knives with her, but they freaked that she was in the back seat by herself. Questioned them for like 15 minutes. Afterward I though she should have said she was saving a place for Achmed, but I really like her and wanted to see her again, so I'm glad she didn't say that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I must be doing it wrong. I'd estimate I've crossed into Canada for vacation no less than a dozen times. Never more than the 5 questions followed by a "have a good day".

OK, the last trip back we got hassled by US customs for bringing BACK a partial bag of apples from a Toledo Meijer. No importing fruits donchaknow! uhh.... OK. whatevs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cross into mexico with even a round of ammo and expect to spend serious money or time in jail.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A friend had a back pack change last minute going to airport. Going through TSA they found his loaded gun. $3500 court costs, he was able to make his original flight. Whoops.

Lets just say that the one 15rd and two 22rd Glock .40 magazines loaded with Federal Tactical Bonded were not well received after telling them I had nothing of the sort in the truck.

We had a last minute change of plans and I went from leaving my truck in Illinois to driving it into Ontario. I didn't even think to look through the truck as I don't bring a pistol with me. When I saw the agent pull out the 15rd magazine I suddenly remembered the two 22rd mags and knew I was in hot water. 3 hours later and $500 lighter in the pocket I was released to continue my vacation in Ontario which surprised me. I thought for sure they'd send me back southbound if I was lucky enough to not be incarcerated.

100% my fault and can guarantee 100% that it'll never happen again.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I must be doing it wrong. I'd estimate I've crossed into Canada for vacation no less than a dozen times. Never more than the 5 questions followed by a "have a good day".

OK, the last trip back we got hassled by US customs for bringing BACK a partial bag of apples from a Toledo Meijer. No importing fruits donchaknow! uhh.... OK. whatevs.

I think it's a tactic they use to get someone flustered and then see how they act.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think it's a tactic they use to get someone flustered and then see how they act.

Meh.
    TSA: "are you bringing back any fruit or veggies?"
    Me: "just the half a bag we bought in Toledo"
    TSA: you cant bring back any food. Especially apples. They have a nasty worm up there they are fighting and we dont need those worms down here"
    Me: "No, these arent from canada, they are leftover american apples."
    TSA: "doesnt matter, we cant have those worms ruining our crops"
    Wife (out of earshot of the agent, thankfully Or we would have been strip searched, cavity searched, and had our car ripped apart out of spite) "thats stupid, how would the worms in their trees get into our apples in our bag inside our cottage?"

He just gave us the stink eye/reprimand and didnt make us produce the apples for destruction. Unlike the unlucky folks in line ahead of us who had their cooler on top and easily accessible by the inspectors. They had their produce removed by the officers and put into a cool heavy duty 5mil thick ziplock that looked like it would hold about 5 gallons.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....nothing like a little civil forfeiture

My brother got caught inner tubing down the river without a lifejacket by the DNR.....Since it was considered a "watercraft" and he didn't have a lifejacket, they confiscated his inner tube since they wouldn't let him float to the take out and abandoning it on the side of the river would be littering. He had to swim the rest of the river to the take out.

Thanks for making him safer DNR!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I'm fine with civil forfeiture if convicted of a charge that could go with it (drug dealing or street racing charges). No carves or convictions, then it shouldn't be allowed. Especially in the news article linked in first post.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lol.....nothing like a little civil forfeiture

My brother got caught inner tubing down the river without a lifejacket by the DNR.....Since it was considered a "watercraft" and he didn't have a lifejacket, they confiscated his inner tube since they wouldn't let him float to the take out and abandoning it on the side of the river would be littering. He had to swim the rest of the river to the take out.

Thanks for making him safer DNR!

Damn. Unless he was a couple hundred yards from the take out, the least the officer could have done was take him to the take out.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My brother is an *******. I'm sure he was not pleasant. There would have likely been no "yes sir, sorry sir, etc..." DNR probably laughed their asses off. Still unacceptable from a freedom and nanny state standpoint for the government to harass someone minding their own business, floating down a creek, and not harming anyone.

Damn. Unless he was a couple hundred yards from the take out, the least the officer could have done was take him to the take out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm fine with civil forfeiture if convicted of a charge that could go with it (drug dealing or street racing charges). No carves or convictions, then it shouldn't be allowed. Especially in the news article linked in first post.

I agree. Conviction is the key. Thats the way it started as I recall. Then they made it so they could keep it just by charging. Now, They dont even bother charging you. They just take your stuff and say "If you want it, sue us for it."

Somebody put up a proposal that would require charges to be filed within 90(?) days or the property would need to be returned. I could get behind that. They would then have had the chance to take your stuff, give it back if they still dont have enough to charge you, but could still charge you later if more info came to light of course. Sure, they'd lose your stuff, but your rights would be restored.

This BS of guilty until proven innocent has got to stop.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just saw this story highlighted on Fox News, Brett Bayer, talking about the excess of civil forfeitures and tied it back to the Declaration/Constitution and unreasonable search and seizure by the Brits.

Top Bottom