• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ingenious idea, or useless hype? Discuss..

From Reign Tactical. The Indra's Reign is the first of our upcoming Cut-Away line of holsters. It features a cut-away down the slide for improved and safer indexing while drawing. $114.98

10413774_356259624574381_1776839367_n.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I see no purpose, I would rather have all of my gun covered but that's just me. It's obviously all for show. It's OWB so people will see it obviously, otherwise what's the point. I carry IWB so no one would see it anyhow yet making it less attractive to me...

To best respond to your question... It will be an "ingenious idea" if they guy selling them makes a ton of money from the "hype" of it.

I do however want the VP9!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, if it is IWB then the benefit is gone. OWB, ??? :dunno: It would be interesting to feel it in action. Hard to say by looking. Esthetics are nice but a little flashy for my taste. Looks too much like someone wanted a Batman style throwing star as a backup on their holster.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Ehhh it's all cosmetic. Lots of Kydex makers offer different types of
    cuts. The added labor equates to that big o'l price tag. I don't see the appeal, gear needs to function, not be pretty.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Point taken. I can see what they are going for though. The Cut Away would properly index your finger, however.. so will proper training and a holster half the cost.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    More opportunity for debris to get in there. Aesthetically, greater chance of scratched and dings.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    More opportunity for debris to get in there. Aesthetically, greater chance of scratched and dings.

That's kind of what I was thinking... The only reason I could see someone wanting this is if they had a really pretty gun they wanted to show off a little more... Like when you hear people talking about their "bbq" guns and what not. Still not for me though I don't think.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I like the look of it. Actually provides an aid to some scumbag trying to grab the gun from the good guy, but I guess 'security' and 'holster' are (apparently) mutually exclusive, LOL.

Wouldn't BUY one, 'cause it's about as functional as boobs on a flatcar, but it definitely looks cool!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As far as function it's pointless over a regular holster. It's reenforced so it will be heavier. This would be a 'for looks' purchase. In my opinion. And I CC so it would be pointless for me

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    Cutout holsters like the one the OP posted a picture of serve no purpose but to show the craftsmanship of the holster maker. It is suppose to be selling point/advertisement to what they can do. The makers don't intend to sell a lot of these style holsters, but they will get people talking and maybe some more traffic to their web pages.

Another good example of this is a bender, Tydex Holsters, who makes some crazy awesome looking holsters.

11083879_938098236208403_3199889617173488206_n.jpg

I also remember when PHLster made a holster that was blocked out to look like the Han Solo Blaster. Now he is one of the major innovators in small shop kydex bending.

So, I would say that this kind of stuff works to get their name out there in a competitive and growing industry.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

That's kind of what I was thinking... The only reason I could see someone wanting this is if they had a really pretty gun they wanted to show off a little more... Like when you hear people talking about their "bbq" guns and what not. Still not for me though I don't think.

All this ^^
    That'd be an easy place for a shirt to get hung up on reholstering

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

Cutout holsters like the one the OP posted a picture of serve no purpose but to show the craftsmanship of the holster maker. It is suppose to be selling point/advertisement to what they can do. The makers don't intend to sell a lot of these style holsters, but they will get people talking and maybe some more traffic to their web pages.

Another good example of this is a bender, Tydex Holsters, who makes some crazy awesome looking holsters.

11083879_938098236208403_3199889617173488206_n.jpg

I also remember when PHLster made a holster that was blocked out to look like the Han Solo Blaster. Now he is one of the major innovators in small shop kydex bending.

So, I would say that this kind of stuff works to get their name out there in a competitive and growing industry.

LOL! That Han Solo one is awesome!
    That just made my day

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Off topic, but I hate the term "bender" or "bending" in reference to Kydex work. It's molding/forming. "Bending" just seems like a forced term to make the relatively old concept of forming thermoplastics seem somehow "hip".

aang-avatar-last-airbender.jpg

bender.jpg

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm not a fan of that particular Reign Tactical model but I recently received one of their Slim Reign models for my Beretta Nano and I am very impressed. The finish and build quality look to be first-rate. I opted for a relatively subdued color scheme but they have some crazy stuff for those who want to stand out. This is an OWB paddle holster but I consider it to be a CC model as it hugs in close.

I've only carried it a few times since I just got it from Reign but so far I've really pleased.

reign_slim_nano.jpg

Top Bottom