• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    My SBR was built by taking a 16" barrel down to a 10" barrel, but I didn't have it done and don't know if there was any extra work done (like change in the gas port).

I have a Daniel Defense complete rifle I'm looking to take down to a 10.5" SBR once the paperwork gets back and I'm wondering if there's anything else to do besides have my gunsmith cut, crown, and thread it.

Thanks

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My SBR was built by taking a 16" barrel down to a 10" barrel, but I didn't have it done and don't know if there was any extra work done (like change in the gas port).

I have a Daniel Defense complete rifle I'm looking to take down to a 10.5" SBR once the paperwork gets back and I'm wondering if there's anything else to do besides have my gunsmith cut, crown, and thread it.

Thanks

I would buy a barrel in the length you want and then if need be sell the 16" barrel.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I'm waiting on paper work to do the same, I plan to have mine cut down by a gunsmith or machinist.

Your gas port :dunno: might be something to try before you change it, that's what I plan to do.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I would buy a barrel in the length you want and then if need be sell the 16" barrel.

Best advice.

Buy a barrel that is purpose built for that application.

I have seen barrels cut down for SBR work that required gas port tinkering to run right.

Buy a 10.5 barrel from someone like Rainer Arms. My SBR's have their barrels in them and I have had no issues.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    If you are set on cutting a barrel, get the work done by ADCO in OH. They WILL do it right, and you will be 100% happy with the work.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I don't know a lot about Short Barrell anything, but my question is this : if you have a 10", why do you want, or need a 10.5" ?????

This isn't about the discussion of NEEDS! :D

No such thing as to many SBRs :ar15:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    If you are set on cutting a barrel, get the work done by ADCO in OH. They WILL do it right, and you will be 100% happy with the work.

I'll keep that in mind, but that's not my question. I have a gunsmith who's cut barrels for me before and did a fantastic job.

This isn't about the discussion of NEEDS! :D

No such thing as to many SBRs :ar15:

Right. Who is this guy....? :n00b:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'll keep that in mind, but that's not my question. I have a gunsmith who's cut barrels for me before and did a fantastic job.

Right. Who is this guy....? :n00b:

You will most likely need the gas port to be opened for the rifle to function properly. Because you're dropping from 9" in front of the gas port (gas port to muzzle) to 3" in front of the gas port, you will lose pressure and dwell time. You need a way to get more gas to the BCG, hence the larger gas port.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Thanks

My suggestion is to buy the short barrel and keep the long one.

Sometimes you might want that extra length.

PM me and we can get together so you can shoot the 10.5" set-up that I have on my SBR.

sparks408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I feel the same way I'd buy a barrel. if u buy a 10.5" and put it on ur rifle and sell the 16" pretty much got next to nothing in the conversion

Top Bottom