Cutting down a rifle barrel (Mosin content)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So here lately, I have an over abundance of MN 91/30s, and I have picked the best candidate for sporterizing. I want to put a synthetic stock, turned down bolt, scope mounts, scope, and bi-pod on. I'm thinking I would probably want to cut a few inches off the barrel, possibly just behind the front sight. Before I look at videos on you tube, I'm sure someone here has done this, and thought I could get some good tips. My concern is mainly with the best method of cutting, (hack saw, band saw, whiz wheel) and how will this affect the rifling at the muzzle. Also, counter boring comes to mind. Should I have it done by a pro, or is it something I could do reasonably simple? I work in a fabrication shop, so I am familiar with metal work, and have access to the proper tools.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have cut Mosin barrels to, 16 1/2".. 17 1/2"..18"..and 20"..You can use a hacksaw, I have a metal cutting band saw. I usually face them square at work and give them a 11 degree crown. But I have done a couple at home, filed them square and used a piece of scotch brite pad on the end of a phillips screwdriver in my hand drill. It is important not to leave any burrs on the inside of the rifling.

picture.php

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have cut Mosin barrels to, 16 1/2".. 17 1/2"..18"..and 20"..You can use a hacksaw, I have a metal cutting band saw. I usually face them square at work and give them a 11 degree crown. But I have done a couple at home, filed them square and used a piece of scotch brite pad on the end of a phillips screwdriver in my hand drill. It is important not to leave any burrs on the inside of the rifling.

How are you "bending" your bolts?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    How are you "bending" your bolts?

I machine a new bolt handle. It starts out as a piece of 1" round stock. I turn the body,leaving the head, and thread the end 3/8-16.
    Then I mill the head and drill and countersink for 8-32 cap heads.
    The old bolt handle is sawed off and a .060 slot is cut in the bolt body and then it is drilled and tapped for the 8-32. Then I bend the handle. The ball on the end is purchased from McMaster-Carr it is already polished and drilled and tapped.

picture.php

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    As I suspected... above my skill set. :(

I was hoping for something like "I made a jig that the bolt clamps in and then I run over it with a truck." I could do that.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    As I suspected... above my skill set. :(

I was hoping for something like "I made a jig that the bolt clamps in and then I run over it with a truck." I could do that.

Yeah, I usually go into work an hour early to do my thing.
    I did make a fixture for drilling and tapping a receiver for an ATI scope mount. I haven't done a rifle with it yet. I also made one for drilling and tapping the end of a cut down barrel for a new sight. I started working on a new idea.

picture.php

Top Bottom