• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    IN
    So, since Indiana will likely not be passing the HPR proposal (www.in.gov/nrc/2354.htm) I am interested in getting a muzzleloader (sold my .44 mag a little too hastily). I've never owned or shot one and have been doing a little research. I've heard nothing but great reviews on the CVA muzzleloaders and anyone who owns a Thompson Center will swear by them. I'm liking the more affordable price tag of the CVA but don't want to sacrifice quality for a cheaper price. Both guns have all the comparable bells and whistles that I can tell. I've read the Bergara barrels on the CVA's are supposed to be awesome.

What is your preference?

Also, is there another make or model I should be considering?

I plan on mounting a Nikon Inline XR scope on whatever I decide to purchase.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a Traditons' M/L, at 50 yards with Power Belt Bullets all my shots are touching each other. Check out the local big box stores sometime they have M/L on clearance. I also have a CVA Bobcat and shot that for over 10 years without any issues, but this one is a sidelock roundball shooter. T/C Hawkins .50 cal, my go to gun, hunting, target shooting, and plinking, never an issue, had this one for 10 years now. CVA/Traditions/T/C all GTO for deer hunting.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have a CVA Optima Pro, I don't think they make the pro version with the 29" barrel anymore. It has been a great gun and is very accurate.

JonN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    IN
    Thanks for the input so far. I've found a CVA Accura V2 with a Konus (?) scope, thumbhole stock and all the other items to go along with it for $550...only problem is I don't know anything about Konus scopes. My gut is telling me to go with the Nikon though.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I have had my accura for about 7 yrs with the bergara barrel and accuracy has been great and haven't any trouble whatsoever out of it.

I think I got mine on sale for 399 from cabelas with an optic(don't remember the brand)

Last edited:

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I bought an Accura on clearance when the V2 came out. I absolutely love mine. The main upgrades were the breech without a tool, like the T/C, and the palm saver ramrod. I shoot White Hots with PowerBelt HP. Deadly combination. This shoots just as good as my Knight Original Disc Rifle. I only use the Knight now as an extra gun as the Accura is so much easier to clean. If I buy another ML, it will be a CVA.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've got a CVA Wolf that shoots sabots with just as much accuracy at 100 yards as my .44 rifle can accomplish. For whatever reason, it didn't seem to like powerbelts consistently. With sabots on the other hand I can leave touching holes at 50 yards and groups as tight as I have patience for at 100. Ended up taking the scope off of mine as the fiber optic sights are plenty accurate.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I have a CVA Accura with the bergera barrel. It is very accurate. I use 100 gr pyrodex pellets and Hornady sst sabots.
    I have a target hanging in my house that has a seven shot group with all holes touching. It was at 100 yards at Crosley
    range. My son in law has the thompson, but he was very impressed with Accura. Mine is the older model without the
    fast remove breach plug. It has a hundred dollar Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope on it. Great gun.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I plan on buying a CVA Wolf this summer. My choice is based on:
    1. My friend has one and swears by it (he owns 4 muzzleloaders)
    2. The reviews on the CVA Wolf are extremely positive.
    3. Price is really affordable (Buds Guns has the iron sight version priced at $165).
    4. The research I did online on other models just didn't justify the extra cash for them.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The last couple seasons I have been using a TC impact with vortex diamondback scope. Grand total was under 500$. I've been very happy with it!

Top Bottom