• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Just curious if anyone likes CVA more than TC?

I have a TC Omega Z5 now that shoots great. I am intrigued by the CVA Optima with the fluted barrel and the breech you can remove without a tool.

I stayed away from CVA when i bought a new TC based on web posts on CVA quality control and barrel explosions. Anyone else ever read about that?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Just curious if anyone likes CVA more than TC?

I have a TC Omega Z5 now that shoots great. I am intrigued by the CVA Optima with the fluted barrel and the breech you can remove without a tool.

I stayed away from CVA when i bought a new TC based on web posts on CVA quality control and barrel explosions. Anyone else ever read about that?
    I accidentally double loaded the powder in my CVA one time. It didn't hurt the rifle a bit but it hit me in the face so hard I thought I had been kicked by a mule...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have never owned or shot a T/C, but do own a CVA Wolf. I bought it on sale thinking it would do decently enough to get me through muzzleloader season. Man was I wrong! That dude is one of the most accurate firearms I know. I put a Bushnell Banner on it and have rocked it ever since. Sighted it in today for Saturday- one shot dead center, I'm ready to go!

I guess I should add that my Wolf came with fiber optic sights- which are OK. Problem was that the front sight optic rod came out and after several trips on a 4 wheeler the entire front sight fell off. Since I scoped it, I haven't bothered, but those parts were a bit cheap.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not have those models but I have a CVA Hawken style rifle and hade a TC Hawkin style rifle both in 50 caliber. The TC rifle was far nicer built, had a far nicer stock, better finish, even where the nipple mounted was a nicer fitment. Taking both to the range the CVA outshot the TC. I couldn't believe it the Cheaper CVA was very accurate and 3 shot groups were under 1/2 the size of the TC model. I tried both round ball and Sabot, light powder charges and heavy. Pellets and regular pyrodex.
    I couldn't believe it and hated to give up the TC I was proud to own, but the CVA was the one I kept.

I am not the only one who had similar experiences, CVA just plain knows how to make a good shooting muzzle loader barrel.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I've got a CVA Wolf that I bought on sale as a package deal, gun, scope, case, etc.
    It is accurate enough for me, and I shoot three pellet magnum loads. Have had no problems with it at all. My son has a CVA Kodiak and shoots magnum loads in his as well, and have had no problems.

Yes, I have read the post on the barrel problems that were on the early rifles, but I do not believe that is a problem on newer production guns. All that being said, I also just bought a Savage ML-II that I can load
    with smokeless powder and work up some pretty good loads, but probably not going
    to happen for this season. I can't wait to get that one up and running. Plan on making
    that a 200 yard gun with some worked up loads and testing....

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My cousins all shoot Encore's and Pro Hunters, I killed my first Whitetail with an Omega, ended up selling it to fund something else. I was all about them, more fanboi of the Bone Collector stuff, but the price of them just kicked my ass.

After the season, I bought a CVA Accura and was AMAZED! I made every shot they made with their big money ML's and the trigger and Bergara barrel are a lot better.

I actually know a lot of guys with Encores that get Bergara barrels as replacements.

I dunno, I think the TC's are over-rated and over-priced and under featured. I actually think the new updated Wolf had better features the $300 Omega.

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    CVA Optima here. I have not shot many differnt ones, but I can tell you mine has treated me very well. I did notice the front fiber sight trying to slide out on me the last time I cleaned it. I just put a drop of super glue on it and it has not moved. Another thing worth mentioning is it is super light. It weighs about half as much as my buddies ML. I am very happy with it.

-Gary

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My cousins all shoot Encore's and Pro Hunters, I killed my first Whitetail with an Omega, ended up selling it to fund something else. I was all about them, more fanboi of the Bone Collector stuff, but the price of them just kicked my ass.

After the season, I bought a CVA Accura and was AMAZED! I made every shot they made with their big money ML's and the trigger and Bergara barrel are a lot better.

I actually know a lot of guys with Encores that get Bergara barrels as replacements.

I dunno, I think the TC's are over-rated and over-priced and under featured. I actually think the new updated Wolf had better features the $300 Omega.

Yeah I saw you post on your new gun...that quick breech is exactly what I am interested in. Does the wolf have the bergara barrel as well?

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    MotoGPEli138-1.jpg

Love it. Killed every dear I ever shot at. Wish I were rich and could afford something with a stainless barrel. Only thing I can say about CVA is I had to take a torch to a friend of mines to get the breach out and that has nothing to do with the gun. You should always grease them.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I believe the Savage model 10ml is the best muzzleloader. I will shoot any type of powder. Even shotgun, rifle and pistol powders. So cleaning is not the big issue.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yeah I saw you post on your new gun...that quick breech is exactly what I am interested in. Does the wolf have the bergara barrel as well?

I don't believe so, I think the Accura is the lowest model that uses the Bergara.

This new Wolf might end up under the tree for my youngest, if I find a good deal on Accura during the close out sales :D

I will post up a review as soon as I can get to the range to test it out.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I've owned both in sidelocks, and both were good shooters. The fit and finish of the TCs was far greater than the CVAs. As far as inlines, I've also heard that the CVAs were good shooters, but after research, I ended up with an Encore about 8-9 years ago and have never regretted or second-guessed my purchase. Taking a little time to actually work up a load for your muzzleloader, regardless of the brand, is what is REQUIRED for great accuracy. The load I had worked up for my Encore would blast 1" groups all day long at 200 yards. Since then, I've gone with a little cheaper load for deer hunting simply because I do not require that type of accuracy to bring down a deer and my wallet needed a little relief.

One thing you should factor into your purchase, other than the initial price, is customer service and warranty. TC has an outstanding LIFETIME warranty, and in the few cases that you might actually need it, they are there for you. They've even replaced barrels that would not hold accuracy, but I've never had that problem from my TCs.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Regardless, muzzleloading hunting is a very rewarding hobby, just don't expect to get much out of it if you don't plan to put much into it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    CVA also has a lifetime warranty.

Good to know about TC's, as a co-working was complaining about barrel rust on his Encore yesterday.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I believe the Savage model 10ml is the best muzzleloader. I will shoot any type of powder. Even shotgun, rifle and pistol powders. So cleaning is not the big issue.

The part that states it will shoot any type of powder is not entirely correct. There are only 3 modern smokeless powders recommended for it to shoot.

I have the Savage10ML and believe it is the best muzzleloader out there. No more smokescreen and no fouled barrels

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I've got a cva optima elite with a flutter bergarra barrel. Amazing shooter. If I remember correctly with the bergerra barrels they will send you a new barrel if it won't shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. I think I paid around $450 new for it and it also included a 223 barrel.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have 2 T/C's. 50 cal. encore and my daughter has a 45 cal. omega
    the 50 cal. has nice knock down power but doesnt leave much of a blood trail.
    the 45 cal. has no knock down power but leaves a great blood trail every time.
    i love them both and wont take any amount of money for them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got a cva optima elite with a flutter bergarra barrel. Amazing shooter. If I remember correctly with the bergerra barrels they will send you a new barrel if it won't shoot 1" groups at 100 yards. I think I paid around $450 new for it and it also included a 223 barrel.

How interesting? I just purchashed a CVA "Electra" which has a Bergarra barrel:D

Can't wait to get it out in the field next week now

Top Bottom