• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have a bench-top root-cause and solution - see most recent post for details

Well - my first range trip (quick and dirty) with my CX4 Storm resulted in my magazines (new, Beretta OEM) falling out after 1 or 2 rounds. If I put my weak-hand thumb under the 10-rounders it's much better but that's not a long-term solution.

I've found a bunch of forum posts about the problem but haven't found one with a solution.

Any hints would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There used to be an article on the Beretta web detailing how to fix the problem you are having. It entails rebending the spring that puts tension on the mag release. For some reason I cannot find that thread!!! Thought they had it as a sticky at one time, but not there now.

I will repost if I find it.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    There used to be an article on the Beretta web detailing how to fix the problem you are having. It entails rebending the spring that puts tension on the mag release. For some reason I cannot find that thread!!! Thought they had it as a sticky at one time, but not there now.

I will repost if I find it.

I've found links to a berettaforum.com post - the links don't work and I can't find it using their search engine.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just noticed you posted while I too was searching. You might give Beretta a call and don't be shocked if you are on hold for half a lifetime. Their customer service is nowhere near as good as their firearms.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I got a chance to tear the gun apart further than I had before. I pulled the magazine catch spring out and removed the mag-catch. The mag-catch has four slots - two on each end. If you're setting it up right-handed you use one end, left-handed the other. I think the two slots on each end are for different series magazines.

The slots on the right-handed end of the catch were broken - the divider between them was busted and crooked. I'm betting someone shoved the wrong magazine in there (or the right magazine backward) and busted it.

Since I planned to shift the gun to lefty I put it back together using the undamaged left-handed end of the catch. After getting it back together I put a loaded magazine into the lower (with the upper off) and it clicks in (it didn't click before) and I couldn't shove it down and out with both thumbs.

I'm betting this problem is solved. I'm going to order a replacement catch and "plate" - the plate is the tiny metal bit that rides in the slots and provides the metal-to-metal lockup with the magazine.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad you found the problem. I have had mine apart at one time and could not believe how cheap those mag locking tabs were.

Another gotcha is the recoil rod is plastic as well as the bumper and is easily broken if you are not careful. I have read about more than a couple of people breaking the rod by trying to force it into position.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    Glad you found the problem. I have had mine apart at one time and could not believe how cheap those mag locking tabs were.

Another gotcha is the recoil rod is plastic as well as the bumper and is easily broken if you are not careful. I have read about more than a couple of people breaking the rod by trying to force it into position.

I plan on putting together a spare parts order - I try to keep around the things I'm most likely to screw with and need to replace.

I'll get it back out to a range and shake it down again.

I really like the gun, I have a Holosite for it - not sure if I'll need to add a riser or not.

Top Bottom