• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a Rami P (polymer frame) with a safety.

I like it a lot. But I prefer a decocker in most SA/DA applications.

Finding a suitable holster will be a bigger problem than decocker v safety IMHO.

If you wind up with one you don't like... short order to get a "correction" via trade or sale on INGO.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Finger placed horizontally, I fail to see how anything can go wrong? Beats grabbing the hammer and lowering it that way...

Murphy's law doesn't rely on you seeing the possible error ;-).

Decocker beats any form of dropping a hammer on a safety gun. Unless you're going to carry it cocked and locked, i'd run decocker.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Finger placed horizontally, I fail to see how anything can go wrong? Beats grabbing the hammer and lowering it that way...

Murphy's law doesn't rely on you seeing the possible error ;-).

Decocker beats any form of dropping a hammer on a safety gun. Unless you're going to carry it cocked and locked, i'd run decocker.

Anybody have definite knowledge of a person letting a round off while manually lowering a hammer ? For production class (USPSA, Steels) and SSP class (Idpa) that is the way we do it, so it gets done thousands of times every weekend and many more times in between.

Anything can happen, but if you exercise reasonable care I think the data says that there are a lot of better things to worry about.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Anybody have definite knowledge of a person letting a round off while manually lowering a hammer ? For production class (USPSA, Steels) and SSP class (Idpa) that is the way we do it, so it gets done thousands of times every weekend and many more times in between.

Anything can happen, but if you exercise reasonable care I think the data says that there are a lot of better things to worry about.

Years ago I had a Bersa Thunder. Tried to decock with thumb on hammer and it went off. The hammer just pulled away from my thumb. The gun was fairly new, maybe 150 rounds.

The manual on my SIG P238 specifically says the gun can fire if you do this. Thus you can see my interest in a decocker.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

At this point, pull the trigger and let the hammer fall on your finger. Let off tigger real quick and pull finger out slowly. Hammer automatically falls to half cock because your finger is already off the trigger... Practice a couple times and it's no big deal, unless I lose a finger, no problem here.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Years ago I had a Bersa Thunder. Tried to decock with thumb on hammer and it went off. The hammer just pulled away from my thumb. The gun was fairly new, maybe 150 rounds.

The manual on my SIG P238 specifically says the gun can fire if you do this. Thus you can see my interest in a decocker.

Reminds me, I should not have sold my Bersa, good for the money.

I understand your caution then, and it is good to have options.

Top Bottom