Cz 452 - need a scope (any opinions are welcome)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR is one of my favorite's. Being able to dial in the parallax is a big plus especially when critter hunting. The glass is very clear and will give you excellent light transmission. I have 2 on 22LR's with zero complaints. If possible I would suggest looking down the tubes of some of the scopes suggested so that you can pick the one that looks the best to you. Absolutely check out this site's Sponsor's to see if they can help you with the purchasing process. Gotta love Nikon's No Fault Warranty too.

efr10221.jpg

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I've got a Crossfire II 4-12x40AO on my 452 Varmint. I absolutely love it, and can't say enough good things about it (especially for the money). It tracking is true, repeatable, and doesn't take any shots to "settle in" like my Burris FFII.

I shoot mine to 200 yards quite often. From a 50 yard zero, it's 28 MOA to get to 200 yards (almost 2 full turns @ 15 MOA/revolution). I can go from 50 to 200, and when I check it again at 50, it's spot on, first shot. Not close, not after a couple shots....spot on, first shot. It's very clear (problem spotting .22 holes at 100 yards on paper, can spot small .22 splatter on freshly painted steel at 200 easily as well). I've got a CFII on a .308 that holds up, and I think Alan ran one on a .338 for 100 rounds or so with no issue as well.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    I found a nikon buckmasters 3-9 x 40 at my local walmart for 128.00 on clearance. Last one they have, should I pick it up or hold off for something better?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you want to look at Vortex in person Academy in Owensboro may have some, the one in Evansville I know does. Probably be cheaper to order it but at least you can look at some and see if you like the brand.

Also that Nikon you looked at Walmart has 100 yd parallax setting. Unless you do a lot of long range (for a rimfire) shooting, that may cause you some issues.

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    ItS for squirrel hunting, so would a scope with the 100 yard parallax setting be a bad idea? I don't really get what the parallax setting means

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    What is the parallax setting on the vortex crossfire 2 3-9x 40 scope? Would it be okay for squirrel hunting under 50 0r 40 yards?

100yds on the 3-9x. IIRC, the 2-7x Rimfire is 50yds. Here is a decent explanation on parallax: Parallax in Rifle Scopes

If most of your shooting will be inside of 75yds, I would suggest getting a rimfire/shotgun scope or something with AO/SF.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    $171 for the Diamondback HP 2-8 with the v-plex reticle on Opticsplanet if you can find a 10% off coupon (they normally have one).

It's a sturdier version of the crossfire that Alan recommended and adds better glass and SF to adjust parallax (personally, I never put a scope on a rimfire that doesn't have SF or AO). IMHO, it's well worth the extra $40.

Buy one and call it a day. It's all the scope you'll ever need on a squirrel gun and the best you'll find under $200.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I will personally never deal with optics planet. If you have not called A and A optics yet, give it a try, even if you don't buy from him it will be worth the phone call.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That's a premium rifle, so why not invest just a bit more and get the Leupold VX-II EFR scope?
    A beautiful rifle like that deserves a true premium scope.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Since my latest scope purchase this is going to be my process for scope buying.

1. Call Alan at AA optics
    2. Tell Alan purpose and budget
    3. Buy what Alan suggested.

When I bought from him we talked about several options and I ended buying based off his advise. I could not be happier and the one I bought was the least expensive of the options we discussed. He didn't push spending the most money. He wants happen return customers who will tell everyone to go to him. You can't go wrong with Alan or anything vortex.

Great rifle purchase big the way, I love the 452's and have a few myself.

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    Well the verdict is that I went and b picked up the gun from whitakers. I looked at tons of scopes and walked out with a leupold vx1 for 159.99

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well the verdict is that I went and b picked up the gun from whitakers. I looked at tons of scopes and walked out with a leupold vx1 for 159.99

Well played, sir.
    That was an excellent deal.
    Assuming it was the 2-7x28mm Rimfire here? - Graf & Sons - LEUPOLD 2-7x28mm VX-I RIMFIRE GLOSS FINE DUPLEX
    I paid $180 for mine about three years ago, and that was on sale, so you really did well on the price for an excellent American made scope.
    That's what I have mounted on my 39A below:
    Marlin_39A.jpg

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    It's actually the 3-9 x40 vx 1, normally 199.99 so I didn't to bad on it. I have never owned a leupold but the warranty is awesome that it included. It's a very well trusted brand and gave the rifle that classic distinct look I love and appreciate.

That 39A looks great, sharp gun brother.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's actually the 3-9 x40 vx 1, normally 199.99 so I didn't to bad on it. I have never owned a leupold but the warranty is awesome that it included. It's a very well trusted brand and gave the rifle that classic distinct look I love and appreciate.

That 39A looks great, sharp gun brother.

Thanks right back, bro.
    If you can, please post photos once you get your new scope mounted.
    The 452 is one of the handsomest rifles out there.
    Too bad CZ no longer makes them.

Last edited:

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    20150913_100409.jpg
    Here she is. See they aren't mass produced anymore but the guy at Whitakers told me they contacted cz and had them specially produce them a few of the right handed models. So I got lucky enough to snatch one up.

Top Bottom