• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • powerhouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is my dilemma. I have a very clean CZ-52 that is chambered for a 7.62x45 round. I do have some of this ammo but choose not to fire it because of its scarcity. I really don't enjoy having a firearm around that I don't use. I have heard about having a smith mill 6mm off of the barrel so that it can fire the more popular 7.62x39 round. Does anyone know if this is true? I hate to tamper with a piece of history especially one in this good of condition, so should I send it to the smith or trade it off for something i'll use a little more?

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    ok....as a rule of thumb for me...dont midify it. youll lose out pretty darn quick if it goes bad. Leave it as is..there are some C&R junkies hiding near you who would take that little odd ball of your hands if it were priced fair. Take that money and go buy your self a nice vz2008 from century. But please dont bugger up a perfectly good rifle to "change" the chamer to accept the different round. youll need bolt work, new barrel (should the chamber mod fail), and magazines will not feed correctly. I have seen some of the modded to to take x39 ammo and they were....less than 100% good to go..about 75%. Save your cash, your time, and a nice piece of history...trade it or price it nice and move it along to a fellow C&R junky. We lurk everywhere....

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    ok....as a rule of thumb for me...dont midify it. youll lose out pretty darn quick if it goes bad. Leave it as is..there are some C&R junkies hiding near you who would take that little odd ball of your hands if it were priced fair. Take that money and go buy your self a nice vz2008 from century. But please dont bugger up a perfectly good rifle to "change" the chamer to accept the different round. youll need bolt work, new barrel (should the chamber mod fail), and magazines will not feed correctly. I have seen some of the modded to to take x39 ammo and they were....less than 100% good to go..about 75%. Save your cash, your time, and a nice piece of history...trade it or price it nice and move it along to a fellow C&R junky. We lurk everywhere....

This sounds like good advice to me...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Am I missing something here? The only CZ 52 I am familiar with is a pistol chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev. Is there also a rifle designated as a CZ 52?

This is the CZ 52 I'm familiar with...

cz-52%20l.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Did the OP mean CZ 527?

I do see an M52 or VZ-52...

634014341994382715vch2h0aw.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doggy....he meant a VZ 52. They share the same year of introduction...i.e. 52. The rifle is more commonly referred to as the VZ 52.
    Okay, gotcha. Looks like a pretty cool rifle (I'm one of those C&R junkies too), but I don't know about that caliber as far as finding ammo goes... :dunno:

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    That's an interesting thought though. I wonder how the pressures compare? The 7.62x25 is a fairly high pressure round.
    Heh..that would be a nice carry piece...good christ...7.62x39 hand gun....even a single shot would do the trick..no one would want to come near you anyways after you fired....but any way.
    @doggy...ammo is there my friend....its there..you just gotta look harder to get it. its not like your gonna find a 1000 rounds for 100 bucks but its there. i have found (quick google search) about 3 sites who have ammo for about 35-50 cents a round (depending on type/amount bought). Plus if you reload...your golden. it takes the same bullet diameter..roughly...of the 7.62x39. and we all know where to look for reloading supplies for that cartridge...you buy brass ammo and then reload till the brass is bad...buy more loaded brass..start over.
    And its odd im such a C&R junky...im too young...i grew up with modern style weapons and yet i search the dark corners of gun shows and gun stores for those little forgotten "old" pieces of junk.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Heh..that would be a nice carry piece...good christ...7.62x39 hand gun....even a single shot would do the trick..no one would want to come near you anyways after you fired....but any way.
    @doggy...ammo is there my friend....its there..you just gotta look harder to get it. its not like your gonna find a 1000 rounds for 100 bucks but its there. i have found (quick google search) about 3 sites who have ammo for about 35-50 cents a round (depending on type/amount bought). Plus if you reload...your golden. it takes the same bullet diameter..roughly...of the 7.62x39. and we all know where to look for reloading supplies for that cartridge...you buy brass ammo and then reload till the brass is bad...buy more loaded brass..start over.
    And its odd im such a C&R junky...im too young...i grew up with modern style weapons and yet i search the dark corners of gun shows and gun stores for those little forgotten "old" pieces of junk.
    It's good that you're starting young! Wish I would have... back when everything was cheap! :): I just think there's something about old wood and steel. I like my poly guns (all 4 of them), but I would have a hard time being sentimental about them. Not so with the old ones. (for me)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom