• ...and so much more!
  • ifmurphy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Hi all,

I have seen a bunch of CZ 75s about this forum, so I would assume that people seem to enjoy them. This is a full frame 9mm yes? what are you thoughts/experiences/positives/negatives about this arm.

I have also been looking into Tangfolio witness pistols. I enjoy the way the look. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Regarding the CZ75s, I have a bunch of them, full size, compact in various configurations. Upside = reasonably priced, extraordinarily reliable, excellent accuracy, great ergonomics. Negatives = none. These are awesome guns and that is really what needs to be said about them. They are the logical evolutionary progression from a 1911 to a Browning HP to the CZ 75 in that all 3 have the same general ergonomics, the same general controls and functions, but the CZ offers DA/SA mode in addition to cocked and locked mode.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Regarding the CZ75s, I have a bunch of them, full size, compact in various configurations. Upside = reasonably priced, extraordinarily reliable, excellent accuracy, great ergonomics. Negatives = none. These are awesome guns and that is really what needs to be said about them. They are the logical evolutionary progression from a 1911 to a Browning HP to the CZ 75 in that all 3 have the same general ergonomics, the same general controls and functions, but the CZ offers DA/SA mode in addition to cocked and locked mode.

QFT.

Yes indeed, CZ makes some fine guns. And on a side note, the Czech Republic is happily embracing MORE capitalism and freedom, at the same time we are retreating from it. Warms the heart, just as holding a CZ in your hand.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just bought a CZ 75B in the satin finish and it is a beautiful gun. I've only fired 150 rounds so far, but not a single malfunction, and acurracy was good (I'm getting used to the trigger as I'm used to a 2 stage on my Taurus carry gun, so my first time I was pulling high and left) . I always wanted a Beretta 92 for a full size pistol, but after holding and shooting both I went with the CZ ( and thats saying a lot becuase the 92 is a great gun).

If your ever in Indy and want to try it let me know.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Hi all,

I have seen a bunch of CZ 75s about this forum, so I would assume that people seem to enjoy them. This is a full frame 9mm yes? what are you thoughts/experiences/positives/negatives about this arm.

I have also been looking into Tangfolio witness pistols. I enjoy the way the look. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

I was going to buy a Tangfolio a while ago but, it wasn't a big name and I didn't trust it. Then I started thinking about replacement parts and the like for it. Go with what has a good name. There are a lot better pistols out there then a Tangfolio. Like a CZ.:twocents:

ifmurphy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Thanks for you opinions gents.

and x2 thanks for the offer. I'm not sure that I'm in the market at this time, but after I get my 1911 I will certainly be in the market for a 9 and I'll have to take you up on that.

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I held a Witness in 38 super at the 1500 and it was a very nice pistol and felt well made. When I'm ready for a hi cap 9 I'll probably be looking at getting one. Most of the reviews I read about them are good and they come in a bunch of calibers.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    The Tanfoglio Company was founded in the 1940s just after World War II. They make some pretty good weapons. I have a Witness in 9mm, and it functions flawlessly. But it is heavy (to me). They make a lot of guns for IPSC, and are a certified subcontractor for Israel Military Industries (IMI). Here's mine:

DSC01742.jpg

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    There are a lot better pistols out there then a Tangfolio. Like a CZ.:twocents:

Gee, a quote like that could upset some people. :rolleyes:

I have held and shot CZ, Tangfolio, Witness, Armscor, and Armalite.
    They are all good guns. I currently have a Rock Island (made by Armscor). It is an excellent gun. Haven't had a problem with it yet. This is just a Springfield/Kimber debate. If you go on the CZ forums you will find out that the "other" maker are just as good as CZ.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A guy I work with bought a Tangfolio .22 revolver, kinda old west looking, dont know the model number. He wound up getting his money back for it because the cylinder didn't properly line up with the barrel, and left big chunks of led in the barrel and all over the face of the cylinder when he fired the first round through it. He was not at all amused by it.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Gee, a quote like that could upset some people. :rolleyes:

I have held and shot CZ, Tangfolio, Witness, Armscor, and Armalite.
    They are all good guns. I currently have a Rock Island (made by Armscor). It is an excellent gun. Haven't had a problem with it yet. This is just a Springfield/Kimber debate. If you go on the CZ forums you will find out that the "other" maker are just as good as CZ.

He asked for thoughts so I gave him my thoughts.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a CZ75B and a Witness Steel. Both 9mm.

I'm no seasoned expert by far, but they both fit almost the same, point the same and are about the same heft. CZ was the originator and I doubt I'd ever let it go. But the Witness has proven to be a reliable, and accurate weapon, too. About $100 cheaper than the CZ75 so you're not saving all that much for a pistol you'll probably keep forever.

I've not had to use EAA customer service, but if you read up on them you'll find more poor CS than positive. They only import and service the Tanfoglio.
    Look at the caliber conversions you can get for the Witness, too.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've never shot a Tangfolio, or any other clone. From what I can tell, though, the design is so damned good that all the clones are pretty awesome, too.

I say buy the real deal.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had a 75 that I regret selling. It honestly is the most accurate steel gun I have ever shot. I traded it because of the manual safety only. I can not find one bad thing to say about them. They are in my eyes top of the line pistols.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    CZ: one of my favorite manufacturers. You always seem to get a gun that is a couple hundred bucks better than what you paid for it. Their rifles are wonderful and if they had a left handed .30-06 bolt gun with a full stock, I would have bought it by now. My brother has one of their lower-priced .22 offerings, and it's a sweet shooter.

I am a big fan of the 75b and I agree with most of the positive comments here but if you held one to my head and made me come up with a negative, I'd say the triggers are just "pretty good" in an otherwise excellent gun. The DA pull is rather long and may be a problem for people with short fingers. The DA is also a bit heavy. Mind you, I am nitpicking here - it isn't a bad trigger, it just isn't as superlative as the rest of the gun.

Tanfoligo: My father in law had one of these. I found it to be a pretty decent CZ clone (remember I am saying this as a CZ fan). Some of the fit/finish/polish wasn't quite as well done as the CZs I have seen, but certainly not bad. The US importer is fairly notorious for bad customer service, but I don't have any personal experience to say whether that reputation is well deserved or not. They do offer a quite a variety of models; I have to give them credit for all their options and finishes and calibers (including 10mm).

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I have handled and shot both a real CZ75 and a Tanfoglio (or however you spell it) and have to say the CZ is the better made of the two. The clone handled and shot just fine, but the fit and finish were not quite up snuff with the CZ. Now I have not got to play with any of the Witness Elites, so they may be a different story.

One thing the Witness did do that the CZ didn't is the safety would engage with the hammer down on the Witness. While on the CZ it would not. Of course. there is probably no benifit to being able to do this, but it was a difference.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    CZ: one of my favorite manufacturers. You always seem to get a gun that is a couple hundred bucks better than what you paid for it. Their rifles are wonderful and if they had a left handed .30-06 bolt gun with a full stock, I would have bought it by now. My brother has one of their lower-priced .22 offerings, and it's a sweet shooter.

I am a big fan of the 75b and I agree with most of the positive comments here but if you held one to my head and made me come up with a negative, I'd say the triggers are just "pretty good" in an otherwise excellent gun. The DA pull is rather long and may be a problem for people with short fingers. The DA is also a bit heavy. Mind you, I am nitpicking here - it isn't a bad trigger, it just isn't as superlative as the rest of the gun.

Tanfoligo: My father in law had one of these. I found it to be a pretty decent CZ clone (remember I am saying this as a CZ fan). Some of the fit/finish/polish wasn't quite as well done as the CZs I have seen, but certainly not bad. The US importer is fairly notorious for bad customer service, but I don't have any personal experience to say whether that reputation is well deserved or not. They do offer a quite a variety of models; I have to give them credit for all their options and finishes and calibers (including 10mm).

I'd say the same thing about the double action first pull of the trigger (BTW, I have the P01) but damned if I'm not as accurate with that first shot as I am with the followup single action shots.

I'll leave it up to ya'll to guess whether that means I'm accurate with the first, or inaccurate with them all.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have had a couple of CZ's (SP-01, 75B SS) and the one I like the most is the SP-01, but there is a couple of things that I did not like. the first is the finish, it would chip or wear out very easy. and triggers are not very good out of the box, but don't take me wrong it felt great in my hand and the weight made them a pleasure to shoot (both 9mm).

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've owned a .45 and a 9mm Witness; both full size and both steel frames. I like the way the beavertail frame fits my hand better than the standard CZ. I know the CZ's are good guns, but I just like the Witness better! Both of mine were very accurate and extremely reliable. They feel just about as good as a Hi-Power to me. Kind of like I made a grip with my hand and someone poured a gun into it! If you can, try both of them in your hand. They are both basically the same, but it's kind of like a bone stock 1911 and a Kimber.

Doug K

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've got both and I love them. I have a Witness Limited in .40 and a CZ 75 ST IPSC. They both are lazer accurate. BUT, I'll take the witness any day over the CZ. The CZ has a better trigger but the witness has better ergos.

DSC_0001eaa.jpg

Top Bottom