• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Has anything been done to address the problem that a small minority of us have in grasping the slide to rack the gun?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The P07,09,10's have full width slides that are easy to get a grip on. The phantom is a poly framed 75 that would give you the same fits. the 10 is striker fired so you don't have to break the trigger over making it even easier to rack.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Has anything been done to address the problem that a small minority of us have in grasping the slide to rack the gun?

I have one of these on my gen5 glock 19 and my g43. I dont have trouble running my slide under normal conditions but what if I have wet or bloody hands? It's an extra surface to get purchase on. Also what if I'm injured and need to rack my slide off my clothing or another surface even my pants? This grabs onto those better than my sights do. I like it, I think it's a genius tool
    eRvNPc9.jpg

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Although I'm not there yet with grip and dexterity, I know people who are, and was in that situation after a wrist injury, so I feel your pain.

If your goal is REALLY to have reliable self-protection, two suggestions... 1) revolver (it was all I could use for months following wrist surgery) or 2) Glock with a pull ring - harder to conceal, but it WORKS. If you're serious about self defense, lose the bigotry about polymer and certain brands - go with proven platforms that work.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Believe it or not, no. I have grown to be very comfortable carrying the PCR with the hammer decocked, and am actually used to that 1st DA pull. But I'd be lying if I claimed to not be enamored of the 1911.

But yeah, it's the design of the slide within the frame, not leaving a large enough (for me) area to grip.

If you have significant time on the DA/SA with a decocker, I'd not swap into a SAO with a thumb safety for EDC. You're going to have to unlearn what you've already done, then start over. I don't know if anyone makes grip tape pre-cut for the PCR slide, but they do for several other pistols.

5d9c59fe.jpg

Cheap way to improve the "gripability" of the slide and see if that fixes your issue. If it doesn't, you aren't out much.

The Sig P229 is roughly the same size as the PCR, has a larger slide and decent cocking serrations. Transitioning to Sig wouldn't be as big a change up as going to a 1911.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    If you have significant time on the DA/SA with a decocker, I'd not swap into a SAO with a thumb safety for EDC. You're going to have to unlearn what you've already done, then start over. I don't know if anyone makes grip tape pre-cut for the PCR slide, but they do for several other pistols.

5d9c59fe.jpg

Cheap way to improve the "gripability" of the slide and see if that fixes your issue. If it doesn't, you aren't out much.

The Sig P229 is roughly the same size as the PCR, has a larger slide and decent cocking serrations. Transitioning to Sig wouldn't be as big a change up as going to a 1911.
    Grip tape! Hadn't thought of that! Worth a try! And all of youse guys on this thread have helped me to decide on staying with the decocker configuration, if the tape doesn't work. TANKS!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Don't trade a CZ for a 1911. You're trading a gun that is reliable for a gun that is old, outdated, and unreliable.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Too bad u are not in indy. I'd let you shoot my kimber ultra carry II crimson. Now way id carry that over my PCR which is my EDC.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That P07 will when your heart, you'll be so blinded by the smooth silky operation that you'll even flaunt her around all your shiny gun friends. That deep almost purple blued metal slide sitting on top of that ergonomic and chunky in all the right places frame, just screams for you to grab on and work that double action just to feel that hammer break. You know she'll do things those skinny shiny pistols won't, she's not afraid to get dirty and doesn't need wiped off after a long sweaty session riding in your waistband....

It happens. I ditched a perfectly fine P320 compact (with a GGI flat trigger) to get my P-07. I LOVE THE P-07!!

After a few hundred rounds and probably a thousand dry fires the thing is SMOOTH and the DA has gotten both smoother and a little lighter (or, my hand is getting stronger).

The P-07 made me love TDA after being convinced I hated them.

The problem with the P-07 is that it makes you want a P-09 also.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If you could get past the plastic part the P07 has a larger, easier slide to grab and rack. It is a hell of a pistol too. Honestly every one of those kimbers that I've seen have been problematic, but that is only about 3 so non scientific but enough for me to stay away. I'm sure someone on here who has a p07 or p09 would let you check it out. It is one of the only pistols I truly regret letting go, that I haven't replaced. Another major advantage of a polymer frame pistol is the recoil absorbing properties as compared to their steel counterparts which will help you shoot longer as your arthritis worsens. With the 07, you get a nice compact doublestack, accurate, cajunizeable, and reliability that you just don't see in similarly priced 1911 style pistols, triple the cost and you get into good quality 1911 carry pistols. The P09 is still hammer fired with the ability to run safety or deckocker, lots of holster options... I could go on and on about them. It is my only suggestion when people ask about a hammer fired carry pistol. I would highly suggest giving one a try.

That P07 will win your heart, you'll be so blinded by the smooth silky operation that you'll even flaunt her around all your shiny gun friends. That deep almost purple blued metal slide sitting on top of that ergonomic and chunky in all the right places frame, just screams for you to grab on and work that double action just to feel that hammer break. You know she'll do things those skinny shiny pistols won't, she's not
    afraid to get dirty and doesn't need wiped off after a long sweaty session riding in your waistband....

The P07 makes the most sense to me. You are getting a very similar pistol and a name you personally can trust. I have a PCR and a 75 compact, and after reading Ggreen's post, I want a P07 to add to my collection. I also agree with trying the tape. I have never used it on a slide, but it made my tiny micro 9mm's a pleasure to shoot when I added it to the grips.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I agree the P-07/9 has enough real estate to get a decent grip (no need for skate tape) but it's still a bit of a stiff recoil spring. I would personally *strongly* recommend carrying hammer down on a hot chamber, and using decocker vice safety (omega trigger). This obviates the concern of slide racking under duress while being very safe to carry.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    I have one of these on my gen5 glock 19 and my g43. I dont have trouble running my slide under normal conditions but what if I have wet or bloody hands? It's an extra surface to get purchase on. Also what if I'm injured and need to rack my slide off my clothing or another surface even my pants? This grabs onto those better than my sights do. I like it, I think it's a genius tool
    eRvNPc9.jpg

She's the ugliest girl in school, let's make her wear a funny hat.

rarebear158

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I suggest contacting Cajun Gun Works and voicing your issues with them. I’m sure they could help you with the PCR. It’s a great gun and I would hate to see you get rid of it for something you’re not as comfortable shooting.

Top Bottom