• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am coming into the market for a new 9mm, and have narrowed it down to either a Beretta 92FS or CZ 85B/85 Combat. I know they're both good pistols and either will serve me well.

I have a couple of questions though. #1) for those of you who have used both, which do you prefer and why? #2) do any Indy area dealers have a good selection of CZ pistols I can check out in person? Berettas are fairly common, but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of CZs out there in the stores.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    THE stocking CZ dealer in Indy is KS&E off Pendleton Pike. That said, do a search for past threads on them, so you can be prepared for their... "eccentricities". :rolleyes:

I do not own either pistol in question, but have handled and shot both fairly extensively. Both have their pluses and minuses, depending on your desired feature set and application.

The Beretta has the wider variety/availability of factory and aftermarket parts, grips, mags, holsters, etc., but is wider through the grip and slide than the CZ and has an integral front sight, which limits sight options. Decocker safety.

The CZ is slimmer and feels better in the hand (to me), but I am not able to manipulate the slide as well (shallower due to internal rails). Manual safety lacks decock function but allows for cocked-and-locked carry.

Weight, capacity, trigger pull, overall quality and price are pretty much a wash, IMO.

HTH!

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Beretta.

Parts are fairly easy to come by, they take down very simply, usually more accurate than the person holding them, and a few zillion in military and uniformed civilian service world wide says something about the 92 Series.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ;) yeah. KS&E is priced fair and the big guy is good to deal with.
    Not such a huge selection of CZ but a handful.

I remember that Bass Pro Shop way up in NW indiana had a 85b if you ever get up that far for anything. I can't remember the price tag, but it wasn't shocking.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a 92FS, and at one time owned a CZ 75. I would go with the CZ. It's slimmer for one. The grip is much more comfortable. Also in my opinion it's the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired. That's just my opinion though. The Beretta is a great gun in its own right. If you go that rout. I recommend you get some hogue grips for it. To me the factory grips are horrible.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    From a gun handling standpoint it boils down to the SAFETY lever when deciding between these two guns.

The 92 flips up and away.
    The CZ snaps down.

Which can you manipulate with 1 hand? Which is more natural as a motion when you draw the gun? (the safety should be off by the time your gun's sights are on target)

The reality is both are considered to be reliable, both are high capacity, both have plenty of military/police advocates, both have withstood real life wars. So let it boil down to the safety as that is the real functional difference when its in your hand.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    i have ownde and shot both. I personnally like the 92fs more because I could shoot it better and had alot of experience working on them when I was in the army. The CZ is a good and durable gun and carries better than the 92. You really cant go wrong with either. buy whichever fits your hand the best.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I prefer the Beretta

1) I have a lot of experience with the guns. I know they will work, I know they are accurate.

2) The trigger reach on the CZ is too long for me.

3) I don't like the small slide area you have available to grab onto with the CZ due to the slide riding inside the frame. If you are in a hurry and trying to clear a malfunction, it's easier to get hold of the Beretta slide.

4) I wouldn't feel poorly armed with either by any stretch of the imagination.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    From a gun handling standpoint it boils down to the SAFETY lever when deciding between these two guns.

The 92 flips up and away.
    The CZ snaps down.

Which can you manipulate with 1 hand? Which is more natural as a motion when you draw the gun? (the safety should be off by the time your gun's sights are on target)
    snip.

Actually, if you are carrying them DA, the safety should be off before you holster. That's how I was trained to carry DA revolvers and semi-autos, and it's how I still do. I see no reason to have the safety on with a DA trigger pull.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What DA revolvers did you train with that had a safety? :dunno:

Darn it, I know what I meant!! I meant DA revolvers are carried without a safety, and there is no need to carry DA autos safety on.

But there are DA revolvers out there with safeties, so neener neener.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually, if you are carrying them DA, the safety should be off before you holster. That's how I was trained to carry DA revolvers and semi-autos, and it's how I still do. I see no reason to have the safety on with a DA trigger pull.

I agree with that completely. I see no reason to ever have the safety on with a DA pistol, which is part of the reason I want one.

I know the Beretta is a good pistol, but I'm strongly leaning toward the CZ because The CZ 85B and 85 Combat both have ambidextrous safeties AND slide releases. Since I'm a lefty, that would be SWEET. But I don't think it comes with a decocker, whereas the 75B does, but it's not ambidextrous. Then again, the 92FS I believe has a reversible magazine release, but only a righty slide release (I think).

I wonder if either of them will eject brass into my face...

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Totally agree with you on that note. That's the one nice thing about the Beretta. If you chamber a round with the safety on, the trigger will stay forward. Then flip the safety off, and you are ready to rock. I do have more experience with the 92, because we carried them in the Coast Guard. My only hatred is the size of the grip. The Houge grips made a huge difference for me. The CZ has a slimmer profile. Which made the grip more comfortable, and it was more comfortable to carry. I regret getting rid of my 75B. My Dad bought it for me while I was in the service. I got rid of it because I hate a manual safety on a pistol. To me it's a unneeded step. I want to draw ready to fight. Not worry about a safety, I may have forgotten to disengage.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    CZ's also come with a decocker with no safety if that is a hang-up for you. I have shot both extensively. With that being said, the CZ is the only of the two left in the stable if that answers the question. I will probably pick up a Beretta again just because I collect guns. The Beretta also has an exposed barrel which I don't like. Magazine capacity is very similar. Beretta-18 while CZ-17. In the end it is just a matter of preference. You won't know what you like though until you shoot both side by side. Good luck in your choice.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Totally agree with you on that note. That's the one nice thing about the Beretta. If you chamber a round with the safety on, the trigger will stay forward. Then flip the safety off, and you are ready to rock. I do have more experience with the 92, because we carried them in the Coast Guard. My only hatred is the size of the grip. The Houge grips made a huge difference for me. The CZ has a slimmer profile. Which made the grip more comfortable, and it was more comfortable to carry. I regret getting rid of my 75B. My Dad bought it for me while I was in the service. I got rid of it because I hate a manual safety on a pistol. To me it's a unneeded step. I want to draw ready to fight. Not worry about a safety, I may have forgotten to disengage.

Simple Fix Dont put it on safety.......

I prefer the Beretta

1) I have a lot of experience with the guns. I know they will work, I know they are accurate.
    They are very accurate
    2) The trigger reach on the CZ is too long for me.

3) I don't like the small slide area you have available to grab onto with the CZ due to the slide riding inside the frame. If you are in a hurry and trying to clear a malfunction, it's easier to get hold of the Beretta slide.
    CZs Malfunction?????
    4) I wouldn't feel poorly armed with either by any stretch of the imagination.

Top Bottom