• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    The wait finally paid off. I was scoping this gun out on Buds and the price fluctuation was driving me nuts. It was in the high $500’s for a while, then jumped up to over $600 and I thought man don’t tell me the price is there to stay. Some time later, I saw it for $530… I was stoked. Got the blessing from my significant other and was going to order it when I got home the same day. Low and behold when I got home the price changed again……….to $511… and that’s all she wrote. A week later and I was a happy owner of a new CZ P01 9mm pistol. Oh and a BIG +1 to Jim Spence from J&S Guns for the transfer and making it a nice and easy transaction.

When I took it home, I have never seen so much grease in a gun. It was beyond bad, it looked like someone just dumped the pistol in a bucket of grease and put it in the case (OK maybe not that bad but you get the point). I wiped off that I could with a rag (no cleaner at this time, couldn’t wait to get a feel for the trigger :D) and went at it dry firing with snap caps. About 10 pulls later, this little blob of grease just plops down on my finger from above the trigger. Needless to say, I took out my Hoppes #9 , field stripped the gun, and thoroughly cleaned and lubed it.

The outside fit and finish on the gun is superb. I would say it’s comparable to a friend’s H&K USP. On the inside though there is some evidence of machine marks; but as long as the gun is reliable, I could care less.

I really like the curved trigger, I think it looks good and I find it very comfortable. The SA pull was nice and light, no creep whatsoever and a clean break. The DA pull was a different beast; it was really heavy and gritty. I hear it’s a hit or miss with CZ’s but I was determined to smooth it out. After I dry fired the snot out of it for a few hours, it started to smooth out enough for me to notice a difference. Being on a budget, I went with the poor man’s trigger job and got 1000 rounds of ammo. That should get ‘er done… or get really close :). I have already fired 400 rounds of Geco and 100 rounds of WWB through it with no FTE/FTF whatsoever and the DA pull just keeps getting better.

The slide on this gun has a low profile because it rides inside the frame to supposedly improve accuracy :dunno:. It took some getting used to and I found that racking it overhand is the easiest. It helps to have dry hands as the serrations are small and if sweating it’s easy to slip up on the grip. But, like anything else, it just takes getting used to the gun to be comfortable with it. Because of the slide, I think this may actually NOT be the go to gun for shooters with weaker hands. Granted I’m only judging by my wife, but no matter how much she has practiced racking (50+ times) she still has trouble. She can do it… but it takes a lot of effort (even with the hammer back in SA)

Not to pull a hickock45 on you guys and compare this to a Glock, but I kind of have to, because the G19 was the most accurate compact pistol that I’ve fired. The first time out with this CZ, I put tighter groups at 10 yards than I ever did with my G19. So for me, the P01 is definitely more accurate.

On the first mag I ran through this baby the slide failed to lock back… Well I thought it was a fluke and the gun was just breaking in. The next two were good. Then on the fourth mag it happened again and my heart just sank. The feeling of being let down by CZ overwhelmed me. I took it slow, watching for any user errors and only loading two rounds into the mag before firing them off. Then I saw it!!! I was riding the slide release. Very lightly, but it was enough to cause the slide to spring forward after the last round. I use the thumbs forward grip and this was a big surprise as it never happened on any other guns I’ve fired. No big deal, I improvised by resting my strong hand thumb slightly further back on the decocker and the “problem” went away.

What I like:
    - 3 dot sights (I prefer this to the standard Glock sights)
    - Curved trigger
    - Smooth SA pull & hammer break
    - Decocker (I’m not a fan of a manual safety on anything except a true 1911)

What I don’t like:
    - DA pull is a little gritty (although it has smoothed out noticeably)
    - Plastic Guide Rod :rolleyes:!?? (I’m sure the engineers at CZ had a good reason behind that, so I won’t argue)

Overall, I would rate this gun 8/10, with it slowly creeping to 9/10 the more I shoot it.

CZP01.jpg

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    You got yourself a great gun but do your self a big favor and send your P-01 to Angus and Rob at czcustom.com and have them install a competition hammer and lighter mainspring. It makes the trigger pull smooth as silk and it eliminates any hammer camming in SA. I wouldn't trade my P-01 for any other gun. Ever.

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have yet to shoot a P-O1, but I have two PreB's that I inherited, and a 75B in 9mm, and am currently working on selling the 75B .40. I feel like they have a good solid feel to them.. The DA gritty will go away with time and ammo.

The slide on this gun has a low profile because it rides inside the frame to supposedly improve accuracy :dunno:. It took some getting used to and I found that racking it overhand is the easiest. It helps to have dry hands as the serrations are small and if sweating it’s easy to slip up on the grip. But, like anything else, it just takes getting used to the gun to be comfortable with it. Because of the slide, I think this may actually NOT be the go to gun for shooters with weaker hands. Granted I’m only judging by my wife, but no matter how much she has practiced racking (50+ times) she still has trouble. She can do it… but it takes a lot of effort (even with the hammer back in SA)

Its supposed to be more accurate because it pushes the recoil more into your hand than over it. I find that to be true as compared to other Hi-Power clones where the slide rides over, for me personally anyhow. The sweaty hand slide slide is common. I used to have that issue occasionally too. If you or her, are having problems racking due to weight, and/or want to improve the speed of follow up drills, I have found a slightly lighter recoil spring can make the world of difference, even with sweaty hands. As for the mainspring and trigger, mine 75B (the only one I dare alter) has the originals and the recoil spring was a effective enough swap to me. Glad you like it! I have a huge love for CZs, and have been looking into P-O1... Might be my next one, but I was heading more towards a 9mm 1911... Definitely tempting. Thanks for the review!

PS. My 9mmB was a chunk of grease too! When I opened it.. I was actually impressed by the amount of grease they actually managed to fit in there...

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I started out a Glock guy. I shot a CZ 75B at another Ingo member's house and it was love. I have a couple 7B's and the SP-01. I can't tell you how bad I want a P-01. I'm not going to lie to you, I am so full of envy it isn't even funny. Congrats on picking up my dream pistol. I'll look at Bud's when I get home from work today. $511 is a great price

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Good choice on the P-01.. I had one for awhile and it was a good reliable accurate pistol that should hold up well. Had to sell it to fund another project but I would have no problem with getting another one.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    B-rich, great coverage of the gun! I saw one in my local shop the other day, but was told that magazines are difficult to find. Has this been your experience?

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    I have had a P07 since the first of March this year. Best quality (mechanical) and accuracy I have ever experienced in a smaller handgun. I don't know about the trigger issue. I seldom shoot DA and my SA trigger breaks at less than 4 lbs. I put the Tru Glo fiber optics sights on mine mostly because I'll never see 70 again. Old Eyes

I visited my local gun shop yesterday looking to buy a 75B. There aren't too many in captivity and his supplier is totally out

Yes they do use a lot of Grease.

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    B-rich, great coverage of the gun! I saw one in my local shop the other day, but was told that magazines are difficult to find. Has this been your experience?

Not at all, I actually picked up a couple Mec-Gar magazines from Big Supply for around $16 a piece. That's the cheapest I've found anywhere, and they look identical to the mags that came with the gun minus the base plate.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    p1010114h.jpg

Love mine totally reliable and the rubber grip panels feel like they where custom made for your hand.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Congrats on the P-01 purchase

Yep, It is my EDC. And they are as good and solid as everybody says.

here is mine. I have never seen a bad review on this CZ.

picture.php

I have had mine over a year now and the stock trigger has smoothed out very nice.
    Here is my target practice at 40 feet.

picture.php

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Can we please close this thread? Bradis has one with my prints all over it, but I must resist! :koolaid:

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I. LOVE. MY. P01. (Ok, technically mine is a 75D Compact)

I also have an XDM, but the handful of times I've gone to FNS I can't resist the opportunity to use the P01. Besides, it is my EDC.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Can we please close this thread? Bradis has one with my prints all over it, but I must resist! :koolaid:

There's one at Bradi's?!?!?!?! I might have to stop there tomorrow.

Just kidding, my hands are too big to grip a compact comfortably. I tried a P-07 and could handle it, but then I tried a Phantom and fell in love.

Top Bottom