• ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I haven’t shot a pistol with rds but I don’t think I would want co witness

I shot my buddies Glock 45 with Holosun 507c and suppressor height sights on multiple range sessions. I didn't like the co-witness setup at all. I had Allen Moore mill my glock 17 and removed the rear dovetail. I removed the front sight myself. This setup works great for me. To each his /her own.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I shot my buddies Glock 45 with Holosun 507c and suppressor height sights on multiple range sessions. I didn't like the co-witness setup at all. I had Allen Moore mill my glock 17 and removed the rear dovetail. I removed the front sight myself. This setup works great for me. To each his /her own.
    Who is Allen Moore? Does he have a company name?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not the best idea to co-witness the RDS sight to the iron sights on a pistol.

Here's an extremely informative video explaining why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpkb0Lyr9RM

If you don't know, Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics is at the top of his game when it comes to information about pistol-mounted RDS systems. Pay attention to him, it's worth it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Co-witness is overrated.

I think an RDS without it is faster because you don't have half the FOV blocked. THere's a reason lots of guys in AR world are using lower 1/3 CW instead of full.

And if you use an appropriate RDS and install and maintain it, the odds of it "going down" are very, very slim.

It looks hideous, but that new "mailbox" aimpoint would IMO be gtg with no irons at all.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Again, not looking to co-witness. Just want to be able to use iron sights through the red dot. That is not an option with this pistol. No such sights are made, as far as I can tell.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Co-witness is overrated.

I think an RDS without it is faster because you don't have half the FOV blocked. THere's a reason lots of guys in AR world are using lower 1/3 CW instead of full.

And if you use an appropriate RDS and install and maintain it, the odds of it "going down" are very, very slim.

It looks hideous, but that new "mailbox" aimpoint would IMO be gtg with no irons at all.

That ACRO seems pretty cool, I agree. Again to reference Sage Dynamics, Aaron has a good YouTube video on it. Aside from it's 3-4 week battery life, that is. BUT, he leaves his on 100% of the time during his T&E. If you only have it on when it's in your holster and ready to rock, you'll see much longer battery life.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Co-witness is overrated.

As much as I like RDS on pistol I am going to have to disagree with this. You see a lot of them go down at matches. Every brand. Yes I have an RMR on a G19 that has around 80,000 ronds through it, but it appears I have been pretty lucky in that regard. These sights are still not quite where they need to be.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    As much as I like RDS on pistol I am going to have to disagree with this. You see a lot of them go down at matches. Every brand. Yes I have an RMR on a G19 that has around 80,000 ronds through it, but it appears I have been pretty lucky in that regard. These sights are still not quite where they need to be.

i will also point out that, if you remove iron sights entirely, you may develop a training scar, in that the gun is not going to come up to your eye level naturally aligned with the iron sights, if you are ever in need of using a gun with iron sights. The red dot does not demand this alignment.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Again, not looking to co-witness. Just want to be able to use iron sights through the red dot. That is not an option with this pistol. No such sights are made, as far as I can tell.

The dilemma is the same with the Sig P320 XCompact which I want but once you take the plate off there is no rear sight option.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The dilemma is the same with the Sig P320 XCompact which I want but once you take the plate off there is no rear sight option.

Yep, I'm interested in that gun as well. Not immediately interested in adding an optic, but may one day and it seems a little crazy to me to lose the rear iron sight if I do that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    i will also point out that, if you remove iron sights entirely, you may develop a training scar, in that the gun is not going to come up to your eye level naturally aligned with the iron sights, if you are ever in need of using a gun with iron sights. The red dot does not demand this alignment.

I am going to have to disagree with that as well. If you want to he fast with a red dot you have to have a consistent draw. Especially one handed. The red dot gun is actually much less forgiving of an improper index. You can tell the people who are new to it because they spend a lot of time fishing for the dot after a draw or reload. Again, especially one handed.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Less forgiving, yes, but aligned to the iron sights, no. This reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how these work.

I am going to have to disagree with that as well. If you want to he fast with a red dot you have to have a consistent draw. Especially one handed. The red dot gun is actually much less forgiving of an improper index. You can tell the people who are new to it because they spend a lot of time fishing for the dot after a draw or reload. Again, especially one handed.

Top Bottom