• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just picked up a couple of guns this week that really are a lot of fun so far. First was a Tanfoglio T.Z 75.88 in 9mm, received in a trade with another INGO'er. It's a 9mm CZ 75B clone that is really a nice gun. I've had it to the range twice in the last week and have run around 250 rounds through it. The build quality is absolutely fantastic. It is also one of the more comfortable guns I've held and really seems like an improved Browning Hi Power.

The next one was a CZ 97B picked up from Bradis (thanks Shooter521). I absolutely love this gun. Even though it's not been perfect, or even close to perfect, when it does work, it works great. I hand loaded 100 rounds of 200g FMJ with 8.3g of AA5 to test it out. I also had my full size Springfield 1911 along to act as a reference. The 1911 fed and shot the hand loads without a problem. At first, the CZ had a FTF every other round, but by the end, would feed the hand loaded ammo just fine. I also had along some Gold Dots, JHP hand loads that were pretty stout and some Hornady TAP and a few Powerballs and it did not like any of them. It would get an FTF with each and every one of those. It would fail to go into battery by about an eighth of an inch and I could press it home with my thumb.

But, once past the first few failures on the hand loads, it was amazingly accurate. Now, I'm not the best shooter and offhand at 15 yards, I can do a 5 inch group with my 1911. This was letting me get down to about 2 inches at 15 and I was able to do a single hole group at 7. I can only imagine what a good shooter could do with this. The weight made it much easier to shoot this quickly than many of the other .45s I have.

Right now, I'm thinking it's under sprung. It has a 13# recoil spring and I run an 18# in my 1911. The fact that it seemed to like the light hand loads but really hated the higher power rounds makes me think it needs more recoil spring to function with the stronger rounds. So, before the next range trip, I'm planning on ordering a set of springs to see what works best. Once I get this running well and have a couple of hundred rounds cleanly down the pipe, it will be time to go holster shopping.

As for the T.Z.? It's ready to carry as soon as I can source a couple of additional mags for it. Next up, I need to find a CZ 75 Compact for daily carry.

BTW, I'll get photos posted shortly. Right now, dinner's ready.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Here are a couple of photos
    CZ 97B
    picture.php

TZ 75.88
    picture.php

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I just picked up a couple of guns this week that really are a lot of fun so far. First was a Tanfoglio T.Z 75.88 in 9mm, received in a trade with another INGO'er. It's a 9mm CZ 75B clone that is really a nice gun. I've had it to the range twice in the last week and have run around 250 rounds through it. The build quality is absolutely fantastic. It is also one of the more comfortable guns I've held and really seems like an improved Browning Hi Power.

The next one was a CZ 97B picked up from Bradis (thanks Shooter521). I absolutely love this gun. Even though it's not been perfect, or even close to perfect, when it does work, it works great. I hand loaded 100 rounds of 200g FMJ with 8.3g of AA5 to test it out. I also had my full size Springfield 1911 along to act as a reference. The 1911 fed and shot the hand loads without a problem. At first, the CZ had a FTF every other round, but by the end, would feed the hand loaded ammo just fine. I also had along some Gold Dots, JHP hand loads that were pretty stout and some Hornady TAP and a few Powerballs and it did not like any of them. It would get an FTF with each and every one of those. It would fail to go into battery by about an eighth of an inch and I could press it home with my thumb.

But, once past the first few failures on the hand loads, it was amazingly accurate. Now, I'm not the best shooter and offhand at 15 yards, I can do a 5 inch group with my 1911. This was letting me get down to about 2 inches at 15 and I was able to do a single hole group at 7. I can only imagine what a good shooter could do with this. The weight made it much easier to shoot this quickly than many of the other .45s I have.

Right now, I'm thinking it's under sprung. It has a 13# recoil spring and I run an 18# in my 1911. The fact that it seemed to like the light hand loads but really hated the higher power rounds makes me think it needs more recoil spring to function with the stronger rounds. So, before the next range trip, I'm planning on ordering a set of springs to see what works best. Once I get this running well and have a couple of hundred rounds cleanly down the pipe, it will be time to go holster shopping.

As for the T.Z.? It's ready to carry as soon as I can source a couple of additional mags for it. Next up, I need to find a CZ 75 Compact for daily carry.

BTW, I'll get photos posted shortly. Right now, dinner's ready.

I would send the CZ back to CZ USA, & tell them it has a feeding problem with hollow-points I'm sure they would fix it.:twocents:

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Congrats on the two great pistols. I don't have any experience with the 97 but have a lot of trigger time on 75 and clones. I'm always amazed at the accuracy I can get with them.

Sorry to hear the 97 isn't running properly. CZ customer service is pretty outstanding. I would go the route gunman41mag suggested if the spring doesn't fix the issue.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a chance to run about 110 rounds through the CZ 97 today after installing a factory rated spring and it was flawless. Perfect actually. The factory spring is rated at about 14lbs and the spring that was in there must have been closer to 8 to 10. It was either very tired or a reduced power spring. For the most part, I was shooting WWB but also ran some Speer Gold Dots and it did not hiccup in any way. Once I get a chance to run more SD ammo through it, I'll call it ready for carry and go holster shopping. That spring was the best 5 bucks I've spent in gun money in a long time.

Top Bottom