• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Well, have finally decided to start looking at "modern" pistols for carry, instead of the 1911.
    Don't want a plastic fantastic, so the CZ75 has caught my attention.
    There are so many to choose from though.
    The local shop has a 75B Omega that seems pretty nice, and can be converted to SAO, which is a big plus.
    The tactical would be nice for my suppressor at the range, but the high sights would interfere with draw when CCd.

Who packs a CZ and what are your impressions on the other models for carry?

Johnny C

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    For carry (of mainly for carry), I agree that the P-01 and the PCR are the best for carry, followed closely by the P-07 (hammer fired, polymer lower).

If carry is not the main objective - then any of the CZ75 family would do. My favorite would be a standard 75, 75 SP-01 shadow, 75 Shadow (no rail), 75 SP-01 Phantom, etc... all awesome. The biggest question to start eliminating some of the options would be if you want a rail or not, and if it needs to be steel or alloy or polymer

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have always thought the PCR was the best carry gun.

x2, I'm a long-time fan of the PCR. It's my favorite of the entire CZ pistol lineup regardless of intent to carry or not, with the P-01 as a close second.
    x3, the PCR is my carry gun and is ideally suited for the role IMHO.
    For non-carry, I prefer the CZ75BD and the SP01 Tactical. I like the decocker CZ's as the PCR is also a decocker.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    follow-up:
    I currently have a 75 Shadow (not the SP-01, but the steel framed "Shadow lite" with no rail, no firing pin block [thus the "shadow" designation]), and I love it! These aren't nearly as common from the CZ custom shop in AZ.
    Every now and then I wish I had a rail, but I have other options for home defense and carry.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well, have finally decided to start looking at "modern" pistols for carry, instead of the 1911.
    The local shop has a 75B Omega that seems pretty nice, and can be converted to SAO, which is a big plus.
    The tactical would be nice for my suppressor at the range, but the high sights would interfere with draw when CCd.

Johnny C
    So, I assume coming from a 1911 that you will want to carry cocked and locked.

Do you want fullsize, compact or subcompact? Rail or no rail?

Fullsize no rail: 75B, 75B Omega, 75 SAO
    Fullsize with rail: 75 SP-01

Compact no rail: 75B compact, PCR
    Compact rail: P-01

Subcompact: Rami

*There are some special runs/versions out there on the compact guns that can be an alloy or steel frame, with and without manual thumb safety. I don't know all of them, but someone else might come along and elaborate on that more.
    **Some of those models above come as decocker only, so be aware of that.

If I were going fullsize, I'd pick the 75B Omega Convertible. For compact, I'd go P-01 or PCR.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Huge fan of the compact series of pistols that CZ offers. I currently own 2) P-01's, a surplus CZ 75 BD (steel frame), and a P07 in 40S&W. All are great weapons.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I love my P07, but still waiting on my holster to come in. I just got the striker fired P10s and that is a great little gun to carry. If you are wanting 45 acp then you'll need to go with the 97b or 97bd. CZ doesn't make a bad gun that I'm aware of currently.

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The SP-01 is definitely NOT the lightest or most easily concealed... but in a good leather holster, it rides comfortably on my hip all day long. And all that weight seems to disappear when it soaks recoil like a sponge. It certainly has improved my accuracy compared to anything else I've carried. For what it's worth, I'm a bigger guy, so can actually "conceal" with a long shirt tail. Most folks just either don't or don't want to notice unless the shirt rides up to expose the holster.
    Plus, put a light on the rail and you've got an instant nightstand friend for home defense.

But to be honest, anything mentioned up-thread is going to be a joy to own and shoot. Doesn't much matter, because your first CZ almost certainly won't be your last. Just sayin.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve had a few CZs over the years and the steel framed compact is still among my favorites for carry if you rule out the polymer guns. IMHO, the P07 platform is probably the best general use carry gun CZ makes right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Johnny C

Well......I have a nice collection of some pretty stellar CZ's. All are top shelf.

And guess what I EDC.........:):

Top Bottom