CZ75B or 357...Which is the safe home gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    Just wondering what you all thought about comparing the two as a ready to go 'protect your castle' type gun. I think you can't go wrong with the 357...but maybe you all have a different opinion? I'm open to thoughts, not looking to argue. I promise I won't check your phone records. :ingo:

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    @Bigtanker:I was thinking the same thing, but does it do damage to the pistol to leave it C&L for days and days? Maybe leave it with the hammer forward, but I don't want to leave the firing spring sitting back for a long time. I wonder if that is damaging to the pistol?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I agree with Bigtanker CZ75B on sheer capacity.

Also I have had a .357 set off right next to my left ear while I was not wearing ear protection. My brother when we were kids was not paying as close attention as he should have been at the range also my fault for taking off my ears at the firing line. I have partial hearing lose in that ear as a result. I would hate to set off a .357 inside with no ear protection.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    @Bigtanker:I was thinking the same thing, but does it do damage to the pistol to leave it C&L for days and days? Maybe leave it with the hammer forward, but I don't want to leave the firing spring sitting back for a long time. I wonder if that is damaging to the pistol?

Its not. Springs wear out from being flexed, not from sitting static.

The simple answer to your original question is, which do you shoot better in the conditions you'd likely encounter in a home defense situation (lighting, distance, etc.)? That's your answer.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

The gun was designed to be carried cocked and locked or hammer down DA/SA.

As has been discussed on here many times before in regards to mag springs in a loaded mag normally it is not constant compression or extension individually of a spring that causes wear but the constant expansion and compression simultaneously of a spring that wears it out. So in theory shooting the gun does more damage to the springs than leaving it cocked and locked.

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    Good advice kawtech87, I haven't thought about it that way. I would hope that we will never have to use anything to protect our home, but if we had to, I would sure as hell want to make sure we don't cancel our hearing when it happens. Thanks for the advice!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    CZ75B with some +p loads. For me that covers enough of the ballistic difference and then gives the advantage to the capacity of the CZ.
    Of course, with JHP loads to minimize over-penetration.

Or, why not one of each. :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Good advice kawtech87, I haven't thought about it that way. I would hope that we will never have to use anything to protect our home, but if we had to, I would sure as hell want to make sure we don't cancel our hearing when it happens. Thanks for the advice!

No problem. My pain is your gain in this regard. No reason to damage your hearing needlessly.

Not that a 9mm set off inside will not be very loud, but I doubt it would cause permanent hearing damage.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Friend as assorted semi and full auto guns, his only wheel gun is a K frame S&W in the night stand ... simple controls that anyone can run more or less ... even his wife ;-).

Now that is not to way there is nothing else around ;-)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

Just get one that is DA/SA and leave the hammer down :dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I agree with Bigtanker CZ75B on sheer capacity.

Also I have had a .357 set off right next to my left ear while I was not wearing ear protection. My brother when we were kids was not paying as close attention as he should have been at the range also my fault for taking off my ears at the firing line. I have partial hearing lose in that ear as a result. I would hate to set off a .357 inside with no ear protection.

That's a pretty good point that does not get discussed much. In a home defense situation, going with too powerful a gun could cause needless hearing loss when compared to something that is adequate, but not as powerful. The goal of home defense is to come out of that situation completely intact, not partially deaf.

That also makes a great case for buying a gun that can be suppressed for home defense.

Top Bottom