D2 Cap Maulers, B.O.C. Mod. II's and a storm!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Well the weekend is over and I think I managed to get a little bit of work done. The Harpoon G.P.K. got some scales, the run of Cap Maulers and Bottle Opening Contraption (B.O.C.) Mod. II's are coming along as well.

IMG_8458_large.jpg

Got the scales glued one, well epoxied as well. I am about out of this slab of G10. I think this is 3rd knife to use the Orange/Black layered G10.
    IMG_8461_large.jpg

I wish it popped a bit more, but I do like it.
    IMG_8466_large.jpg

Got the scales shaped and cleaned up. I am low on belts right now, so the sheath will have to wait till the UPS man shows up. I guess since I've been making more it's time to up the belt orders a bit to keep things moving along.
    IMG_8479_large.jpg

Spent most of Saturday heat treating the first run of D2. It has taken quite a few weeks to make this happen. I started working on heat treating D2 about month and a half back. It took a few weeks of looking at available combinations of temp/time/quench and temper to get it adapted to my setup with consistent results before I start making knives and openers. Although after some weeks making it fit, here we are with the first run of openers being run though the cycle.
    IMG_8483_large.jpg

A line of storms rolled through that produced a good lightening and thunder show. Not much in the way of rain, but the breeze made the shop a bit cooler considering the oven was running at 1800+ degrees for hours on end to get the run done.
    IMG_8489_large.jpg

While waiting between batches, I fired up the forge and hammered on a few more points working at the hammer control and swings. Not down to 25 strikes, but one heat is no problem now with 38 being my best out of 4 attempts.
    IMG_8490_large.jpg

Straight to the electric bill and No. 1 cause for increased water consumption for the weekend. Although plate quenching is much more tolerable than oil.
    IMG_8491_large.jpg

Boom, this run is ready for a good cleaning up.
    IMG_8495_large.jpg

QC testing of each one to ensure proper function is preformed.
    IMG_8497_large.jpg

The Bottle Opening Contraption (B.O.C.) Mod. II, Buy Here
    IMG_8499_large.jpg

The Cap Mauler, Buy Here
    IMG_8501_large.jpg

I am digging the acid etch on these. It leaves a slight grain, much like wood. I sanded these to 220 and think is turned out good. Simple with clean flowing lines.
    IMG_8502_large.jpg

The group shot with the QC testing beverage.
    2765_357143097736934_1814551499_n_large.jpg

A lot has been going on here and the next big thing is that I will be heading to Mississippi in August to spend the week with Blacksmith Lyle Wynn to take the "Tools to Make Tools" 5 day class. This is based off Brian Brazeal's curriculum. The forging process is what really drew me into this whole thing and I cannot wait. Your support had allowed me to continue to learn and buy better tools and materials. For this class I could really use some extra help and really pushed to get some knives and tools up and available. Your purchases will help me fund this class. I'll also be setting up a "donation" type item on the store for those who may want to support but sharp-stabby things are not their thing. Regardless if you help me fund this, you will receive something from me, be it a hand written thank you note, peach/pepper jam, patch or t-shirt, or something I forge...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if i could ask a favor please...stop posting! im tired of buying new keyboards, cause you know they dont work well with drool in them.

as always nice work!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So when you're developing your heat treatment regimen, how do you evaluate the results? Do you do hardness testing on various locations, or just rely on how it feels when you grind it and how it performs in the finish blade?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    So when you're developing your heat treatment regimen, how do you evaluate the results? Do you do hardness testing on various locations, or just rely on how it feels when you grind it and how it performs in the finish blade?

Excellent question....

So once the steel I want to use is selected in this case it was D2.... I started by getting a 3ft length and cutting various pieces, some get rough bevels much like the knives and the others get some holes drilled in them, a few are just squares.

I consult the internet compiling a bit of data based on; 1. The suppliers data sheet for Hardening/Tempering 2. Other Knifemakers published data 3. Old Curmudgeon fella's wisdom.

With that I head off into the shop and come up with a few formulas based on the information I've gathered and see what works best for my equipment. Taking the data from one source and calling it good works, but not always as everyone's set up is a bit different. My years reloading was an excellent primer for this (i.e. your load may work for you but it may not work 100% like it does for you for me kind of mentality).

That said, I take a few parts through the cycle and see what i get. I hit them hammers, try to drill, grind and sharpen. Once I settle on temps, soak, quench and temper cycle, I run 2-3 parts and sucker the fellas at a nearby machine shop with a knife or tools, sometimes beer to test the hardness and if the are all within a few points of the target I consider it a win and try to be as consistent as I can be.

Is this a perfect system like a atmosphere protected super computer controlled system, no. Am I saying I am heat treating at the level of some full time pro's, no. However for the budget and goals I've set I feel I am doing ok. I can say as time has passed I feel that my results have gotten more consistent and thus far no one has called or emailed because a blade failed.

Spending time with other knifemakers and bladesmiths have really given me some perspective as to how others do it as well. With some fearing it and never taking time to learn the process but farming it out to Peters, to others who have done it so much that if you move a fan in their shop they will move it back just how it was cause it blows just the right amount of air, and some who just get it hot enough and drowned it in oil.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That sounds like a good system to me. I am impressed not only by the results of your finished products, but also by the process that leads you to them.

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Top Bottom