• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wandering the internet I sometimes stumble over interesting stuff and follow it. The picture is of William S. Hart, silent movie star from the 1916 movie Hell's Hinges. He is pointing two of the Philipine versions of the Colt 1878. These guns were sold to the Army and used to equip the Philippine constabulary which an interesting story in itself. Later some of these revolvers were picked up by Bannerman and resold to Western Costume Company, seen in movies like the Hound of the Baskervilles with Basil Rathbone. I was surprised to find that a number of more modern DA revolvers were used by prop departments in old westerns, no less than Tom Mix used modern Colt DA 38 specials.

The 1878 is an easier substitution as the front end is the same as the Colt SAA, but the trigger and guard size give it away easily. Mr. Hart does do it some justice in the photo by holding it with his thumbs on the hammer as he would have to if it was a real SA revolver. wshart.jpg wshcolt.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's interesting LE. I've never been good at identifying firearms in movies. Sure, I could see that Tom Hanks was shooting a 1911 at the end of Saving Private Ryan but that's about as good as I get with id'ing guns in movies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’ve seen some older prop guns that were swing out cylinder Colts and Smiths that have had fake ejector rod housings added to them. The DA was simpler for poorly trained actors and actresses to get off faster shots than a single action and the fake ERH made them look slightly more SAA-ish!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's interesting LE. I've never been good at identifying firearms in movies. Sure, I could see that Tom Hanks was shooting a 1911 at the end of Saving Private Ryan but that's about as good as I get with id'ing guns in movies.

There's a scene in Deadwood where Wild Bill and Bullock confront Ned Mason on a horse, gunfight begins with Ned drawing a Remington 1858, period correct for the time. He is killed and falls off his horse, but when he is lying on the ground he is holding a Colt 1860 conversion, also period correct, but clearly not what he started with.

I assumed there was a break in filming there somewhere.;)

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I don’t know my revolvers and gun history well enough to pick up on those things. The things I notice are like the last Hawkeye episode. The bad guy assembles a “sniper rifle”, bolt action, wood stock, no external mag, and then fires off like 10 rounds in a row like it’s a semi auto!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t know my revolvers and gun history well enough to pick up on those things. The things I notice are like the last Hawkeye episode. The bad guy assembles a “sniper rifle”, bolt action, wood stock, no external mag, and then fires off like 10 rounds in a row like it’s a semi auto!
    I love to round count. I seems in movies and tv most guns can double their listed capacities. LOL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I love to round count. I seems in movies and tv most guns can double their listed capacities. LOL
    Or the constant click-click, shuck-chuck, click-shuck sounds every time they show the gun holder. Click-click, camera looks away, camera looks back, click-click. I'm too novice for actually identifying guns by shape, but round counting is probably a good habit.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Or the constant click-click, shuck-chuck, click-shuck sounds every time they show the gun holder. Click-click, camera looks away, camera looks back, click-click. I'm too novice for actually identifying guns by shape, but round counting is probably a good habit.
    The best is when they chamber a round by pulling back on the slide of a revolver…

But who can forget when they rack a pump shotgun so many times it would be unloaded if they actually had rounds in it…

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    What about rubber or styrofoam guns that got too much camera. Saw it on Big Valley, the Virginian and others. Or how about the small child or woman that hand the rifle to dad by grasping the muzzle end with just one hand? Try that one a few times.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This is a pet peeve of mine and I have a number of contributions in the "Goofs" sections of the Internet Movie Database concerning it.

A couple of examples are "Hombre," where Paul Newman's character is armed with a long-barreled SAA until the final scene where he's shooting it out with the Mexican and he's suddenly armed with a large frame double action, or "White Buffalo," (a truly lousy movie that I've come to regard as a comedy) where Charles Bronson switches back and forth between a pair of SAA's and double actions through the whole movie.

Top Bottom