• Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    A thing of beauty. I found this on Rimfirecentral:

"The straight griped Mountie was introduced in 1953 with a 24” barrel in 54 it went to 20 inch barrel. The “Golden 39A-Mountie” roll mark on the barrel was added in 57. The designation was changed to 39M in 72 and the barrels were marked 39M. It was replaced with the 39 TDS in 88. There are several other 20” barreled models both straight and pistol grip. They include the 39 Carbine, 39D, Century Limited, and Article II. The 1897’s made in the late 1990’s were the Texan and Anne Oakley"

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    As my dad told it, he used my grandpa's rifle to kill coyotes, which at the time 56-57, had a bounty. He killed enough to get the money to buy the 39A from the local hardware store... I once saw him hold the gun upside down, and split a bullet on a knife blade...he could do it right side up too....no s^*t story....

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Sadly, it just sits out in his garage in a soft case… I would have it oiled, lubed, and shot every so often…but it is his
    That calls for protective custody! You should see if he'll trade you for a new Henry .22s so you can give that Marlin a good home. Those Henry's are good shooters but they're nothing special and I'd much rather see one of them rust away in a garage than a Mountie!

I've been trying to find an affordable 39M or TDS for years, and so far haven't had any luck. I did score an abused 39A at the LGS a few years back for $400, and I rehabbed it and it is now one of my favorite rifles. I still want a Mountie, though, for the straight stock and the shorter barrel.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sadly my brother is not a "gun guy" as much as I am....My wife says I'm obsessed, I think I'm just a gun guy, who loves the history, and stories of guns......Guess I'm obsessed.....

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    Sadly, it just sits out in his garage in a soft case… I would have it oiled, lubed, and shot every so often…but it is his
    You should offer to clean it and buy a new case for it to keep it in better condition. Also could offer to buy it off of him. I did this for a friend's grandfather who didn't store his firearms very well. Was pretty cool going through his old firearms. I ended up with a nice Winchester 1400.

Top Bottom