• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Didn't work out last weekend, so when my eldest girl (12) said, "Daddy, I'm bored" early this afternoon, I arranged for her brothers to visit Grandma while we headed to the range.

This was her first time shooting a real rifle. Her previous marks(wo)manship training having been done in the basement with an airsoft AK. Her favorite shot is the headshot on the thug target I pin up on a giant cardboard box.

After giving her the standard, "this is a real gun, don't aim it anywhere but downrange, don't put your finger on the trigger until ready to fire, etc." spiel, I had her watch me load and clear two shots on our Crickett 22LR, then explain everything to me like I had never shot before. Then it was her turn. She kept all her shots on the paper and her seventh was a dead center in the "v" on an AQT. :D

After another paper target, I laid out some small juice bottles and empty ammo boxes so we could just have some good old fashioned fun. Spent the next 90 minutes or so blasting away at them. Easily went through 200 rounds between her and me with my 597 and Savage Mk2.

As we were winding down, I challenged her. I put a small 50rd box (empty) of Agulia SuperExtra (yellow box) on a stick halfway up the berm and said, "You have five shots, but a bullet hole in it and you get $5." Well, first shot the thing flew two feet into the air! Turns out she hit the stick it was mounted on, however. She ripped off a couple more but couldn't quite make contact. Her last shot grazed the top of the box, leaving a mark, so she did get the fiver. She is Daddy's little girl, after all. ;)

Happily, she said it was great fun and she is looking forward to her next trip.

A couple of shots of her included below. Though it doesn't appear, she is wearing a "Hello Kitty" shirt, which I thought was funny as heck. Some of the old timers were looking at her like, "What the...???" when we got out of the car. :laugh:

picture.php

picture.php

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Well Done!!!!

Thanks! She made some progress during the day, for sure. Got her to put both elbows on the table to steady herself and also worked on her cheek weld. A little bit at a time and we'll turn her into Annie Oakley. :D

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    12 is old enough

At age 12 kids can also take the IN Hunter Safety course online. Here's my 12 yr old grand daughter shooting South Dakota prairie dogs last month.
    standard.jpg

That's a Savage LRPV .223 she's shooting. She started out with grandpa's .22s then moved right on up to centerfires. Of course not all youngsters want to kill critters. This one can't wait to go back, partly because the lodge operators have a 12 yr old daughter. They now text each other regularly. Kids! Shooting with them is great.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Great job Dad! :) And Great job Daughter!! :rockwoot:

Enjoy and do while you can my friend. I miss my,"Chief Mechanic," she is 33 now with two little ones of her own and living in Milwaukee. I hardly ever get to see her anymore. :(
    Racing075.jpg
    Racing074.jpg
    Racing052.jpg

dew409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Northeast, Dekalb Co.
    Good going guys. Keep the lessons short and interesting. Any reactive targets (can or bottle full of water, crackers, cookies clay pigeons placed on the berm, keep things more fun than shooting paper for a youngster. I have made some spinner targets for just this purpose. Keep the sport alive!

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Great times. My 7 year old girl is getting a pink Cricket for Christmas this year. I will keep the reactive target idea in mind. She enjoys trips to the range and fusses at me if she finds out that I went without her. A fullsize .22 is too big for her, so the cricket is on order.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Great job Migeul! Makes for quite a day dosen't it!

Vince49, I will all to soon feel your pain I fear! College bound in two years and life bound shortly after! Still got a few years with the youngest but they are flying by! I know most parents can't wait till their kids are grown and out of the house. I will be lost and bored!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I love seeing threads like this! hey I just had a thought ... what about some of us INGOers getting together & doing a father/daughter day at the range?

Top Bottom