• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Hey, I am just finishing my first knife project. It is a knife I watched a guy make while I was in Sweden a while back. It is coming along OK for my first effort especially considering that I have only files and sandpaper to shape the handle. Two important lessons I learned are files work fast...too fast in one case and vise jaws are alot more powerful than duct tape. I will post some pics after I get if off to Tyler for a sharpening/fixing my mangling of the blade. He worked magic on an old hatchet and my ESEE 5. Anyway I enjoyed making it and am looking to do another. The one I have now has a tang kind of like a file handle. I had to drill holes in blocks of wood epoxy them together and then peen over the tang of the knife to hold it all together. The next knife I make I would like to try one with scales like on my ESEE. Has anybody had good luck with damascus knife blanks? I just think they look cool. Are they as usable as a normal blank? I have heard bad things about damascus blanks from overseas. I found this company WORLD?S LEADER IN DAMASCUS KNIFE BLADES & BAR STOCK made in the USA. I have no experience with this type of blade so opinions and/or other options for blanks would be appreciated. I should also say that I am not a collector and plan on using the knife.

Thanks

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I think the blades all ready come etched or you soak them in vinegar something like that. They do look cool surprised nobody has commented on durability or usefulness yet. Maybe all the knife gurus are working on their chop in tools!

Top Bottom