• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I recently purchased a DW Bruin in 10mm. 200 rds fired so far following the break in procedure using the lube they supplied with the gun. All smiles and nary a hitch. I'm a completely satisfied owner.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have been having the same debate with myself between a Kimber Eclipse/Colt Delta Elite and a Dan Wesson Valor/Bruin.

After wandering through numerous gun stores, the fit and finish of the Colts seem to be really inconsistent and I've cut it from the list.

I have been gun store fondling several Kimbers Eclipse's and they all seem nicely fit with good triggers. If it didn't say Kimber on the side, I would have already bought one (my only personal experience with Kimber was not positive). Looking around at the reviews and the various forums; recent commentaries with the Kimber's (especially the 10mm's) is generally positive with no more problem than DW or any other manufactures. Kimber mags seem to often be the culprit. One of my LGS has an NIB Eclipse that is darn near half the price of the Bruin.

On the other hand Dan Wesson seems to be a really good run of quality right now...

Tough choice. I'd say if the money doesn't matter, skip the Kimber and just buy the Dan Wesson. If the money does matter, take a shot at the Kimber...:popcorn:

Last edited:

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I have has great luck with Kimbers. I now own 5 because of that, one of every size. Their customer service is excellent too.

Jim5528

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have the Kimber –stainless-target –ls 10mm and have put about 200 rounds thought it and have had no issues with it, in my opinion it is a great gun for the money. I also have a Dan Wesson Silverback and a Pointman. The Kimber is no Dan Wesson but neither is the cost. I shoot at Point Blank in Carmel if you want to shoot the kimber.
    Kimber-LS 10mm.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I had the chance recently to handle several DWs, and I think that's where my personal 1911 search would start and end. NOt the cheapest, but probably the best VALUE in a 1911, as you'd have to spend a LOT more to get a tiny bit better, maybe. Especially when comparing something like a Valor with no MIM, all hand fit, etc. Almost all DW parts are now made in house by CZ (except perhaps mainspring hsg and a couple others).

I will say that I won't consider a DW with an aluminum frame. Not that AL is a bad choice, I just think all 1911s should be stainless frame/slide. If I wanted to save weight, I wouldn't be buying a 1911.

I'm not sure that all DWs are up the the standard of a Valor, but to me, I'd either buy a Valor-grade or better DW 1911 or I'm not buying a 1911 or a DW. I can't afford the extra grand to step up to a Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown, etc etc. And I'm not going to buy a notably inferior 1911 to save a few hundred bucks.

The DWs I've encountered have all been within the last 10 years, and every single one has absolutely excellent fit with stunningly great triggers (even within the 1911 universe).

Point Blank in Greenwood has a Valor in 9mm that almost went home with me. It was just amazing. But alas, it's Point Blank, so a deal isn't likely. Think I'll keeping shopping the deal even if I'm not shopping the gun.

Oh, and a Bruin is pretty much my dream 1911. I'd treasure that for life.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    Just for future searches, I did end up getting the Dan Wesson Razorback. My experience with this gun is that it is an extremely tight fitted gun, and the manufacturer leaves final lapping up to the buyer.

I had major cycling issues at first. The manual doesn't really specifically state how to break it in. Some initial web searches said to run it wet, so I oiled it heavy before shooting but got stovepipe and feeding failures. Then the slide locked up completely at about halfway. I had to hit the back of the slide with pine to get it in the right position to disassemble.

I ended up briefly using a dremel with a cloth wheel and some Mothers mag polish on the frame and rails. Then I cleaned and lubed it with FP-10 and hand-cycled it maybe a hundred times. Clean, lube, cycle. Did 3 or 4 rounds of that. Now it locks up tight like a bank vault and is dead reliable.

This was frustrating due to the surprise of having to do this process without being told to do it or how to do it. If DW put this process in their manual and acknowledged that this was part of the break-in and was part of the reason that their prices were so much lower than the 1st tier guns like Wilson, Ed Brown, etc., then this would have been a lot more positive experience from my perspective.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Well congratulations on the DW. I have been looking at them they really look and feel like top tier pistols. Let us know more after you but some more round down range.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Glad you got it running reliably and hopefully you will have many years of great times with the DW.

FWIW, I have a DW Diamondback that is probably getting close to 2 years old, and I never have had one single issue. None. Tight as a drum, but no personal lapping required.

Top Bottom