• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Our washing machine started leaking a week or so ago. So I just went and bought a new front loader at Lowes. Got son in law to help set it up and we got it all leveled and such. Next day the wife put a load in and it was so loud and "walked" 3 feet out into the hallway we just shut it off. I was hurting from surgery so I told her we would check the level again. Son in law came back and we re-leveled it. Well next day it did same thing. So I told her yesterday I would just level it myself......did it and we tried the unit and it did the same thing. SO I finally broke down and read directions........very first line in big bold letters said to make sure all shipping bolts were removed :ugh:. Man.....I use to read directions religiously and now I know why. The bolts with the bright yellow tags had to be removed, lol. Needless to say, this thing runs so quiet I cannot even hear it spinning now.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Been there done that, and actually the shipping retainer thing was the source of one of the biggest arguments me and my wife have ever had.

I was aware of the retainers being present from previous experiences, and we had bought a new washer. I got it in the house and told her to not attempt to run it, I’d hook it up the next day after I got home from work. Well, you know how that goes, my plan just wasn’t good enough for her so one of my sons happened to stop by and she got him to hook up the water lines and she started a load of laundry.

The thing shook so violently that it broke a water line, flooding the utility room! She almost had it cleaned up when I got home, but I had had a long, bad day at work, and it was on!

A couple of the kids happened to be here when I got home, and one of my sons had brought his new girlfriend over to meet us, sadly, it wasn’t a good time for guests in the house, because she was treated to a 15 minute tirade of unhinged profanity.

I did eventually apologize to my wife, and she apologized for not listening to my warning. And my sons girlfriend is now his wife, so I guess that first meeting wasn’t all that traumatic.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As we sysadmins in the UNIX world say RTFM; Read The Fine Manual (in friendly terms referencing the manpages).
    There's another unix/Linux admin in these parts?! Rad.

Your shop looking for a senior admin? I recently got laid off.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, I was laid off at the beginning of 21.

I haven’t been working or looking for work since then, but if the right position came up, I might go back to work.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I did that exact thing setting up my new front-load washer.
    The shipping bolts actually broke. So what did I do at that point?
    I went and bought some new bolts to replace them.
    After that a couple of those bolts broke. I dug in my heals and bought a length of all-thread rod.
    I was determined that washer WAS going to submit and wash my clothes.
    After snapping a couple of the all-thread bolts, I capitulated and called an appliance repair shop.
    The repairman arrived, listened to my tale, then asked me for the manual.
    I thought the guy should already know what to do, but fetched him the manual anyway.
    He circled the paragraph explaining to remove the shipping bolts prior to using the washer.
    We talked about my "setup". He told me IF Lowes had set this up I could get reimbursed from them.
    But since I had set it up, he'd have to charge me the $65 service call.

I thanked him for his time and paid him. I told him I'd consider the $65 and educational expense.
    doh.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Our washing machine started leaking a week or so ago. So I just went and bought a new front loader at Lowes. Got son in law to help set it up and we got it all leveled and such. Next day the wife put a load in and it was so loud and "walked" 3 feet out into the hallway we just shut it off. I was hurting from surgery so I told her we would check the level again. Son in law came back and we re-leveled it. Well next day it did same thing. So I told her yesterday I would just level it myself......did it and we tried the unit and it did the same thing. SO I finally broke down and read directions........very first line in big bold letters said to make sure all shipping bolts were removed :ugh:. Man.....I use to read directions religiously and now I know why. The bolts with the bright yellow tags had to be removed, lol. Needless to say, this thing runs so quiet I cannot even hear it spinning now.
    I hope when your other one started leaking....you checked the filter to make sure it was not clogged?:runaway: Because I know mine has to be cleaned on occasion or it will leak because of a clogged filter(LG front loader). Yea, I did not know it had a filter that was cleanable until I was looking up possible causes of the leak. :whistle:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I forgot to take them out once.
    Thankfully the other delivery crew knew what was wrong when they went out to replace it.

Once out of a couple hundred I delivered wasn't a horrrrrible record.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    In one of my jobs last year, we were hired as a subcontractor to install the interior doors for two identical new buildings. When I got on the job, the doors were already installed, but the door closers needed to be hooked up. It was me, the foreman, and two other guys. The foreman showed us how to install one, and had me do one building and the other two guys do the other building while he installed toilet partitions.

The first one I did, I hit a snag and referred to the directions and asked for advice the foreman on what I did wrong. I installed it correctly, except I didn't tighten a screw properly. Armed with that knowledge, I finished my building with every closer performing perfectly. The other two guys were done somewhat sooner than me (as expected), however the GC comes in complaining that the doors in their building were slamming shut with enough force to crack a skull.

We inspected each door, and they put the closers and arms two inches in the wrong direction. The directions gave the dimensions explicitly. These closers had valves to adjust the close speed, and it said not to turn the valve too far, or the hydraulic fluid within will leak out. Well, they broke a few by backing that valve out too far and releasing the black fluid all over a primed and painted HM door. Every steel door and frame now had giant screw holes where everyone could see, so they had to fill them with Bond-O and sand them down while I re-installed the closers.

When I asked them if they read the directions, they simply said: "No, Dan (our foreman) showed us how to do it." I was at the same demonstration, and forgot the dimensions as well, but knew the directions gave the dimensions. I explained this, but they insisted Dan showed them wrong. Then how did I install all of mine correctly? One of them got fired after that. Some people.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    See? You didn’t need no stinking directions, you figured it out! You of course have to leave out the part where you read the directions, I recommend you edit your post to leave that out!

Top Bottom