• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A hunter shooting at some low flying quail from the adjacent side of a field we were walking past hit my buddy and I with a shot. Heard the shot ripping through the tops of the corn as it was coming toward us, but could not move fast enough. The shot hit my buddy in the face, I remember hearing the "click" sounds of the shot hitting his glasses, good thing he had those on. The corn had slowed the shot enough to where it didn't break the skin, but sure left a few welts on his cheek.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Day one of a week long hike in the Great Smokie Mt Nat Park over Christmas break. Plan was to hike a LOT of miles first day, make it to the ridge line and stay in a cabin. Weather called for, and we were prepaired for snow. It hovered around freezing and rained the entire day (colder and snow would have been MUCH better.) The cold caused some to start falling off the back. We had to make camp at a makeshift spot since the ridge line had waist deep snow and would involve 2 miles more hike in it to get to the cabin.

Why does this story involve danger at the hands of other people you ask?

At night fall we find a spot, get hot water going to warm up our cores, 1/2 of our group is hovering dangerous hypothermia and one moron says "CRAP! I forgot the tent!"

Like Rino said. I learned at this point and others in life that I'm pretty good at remaining calm and thinking rationally when the likelihood of death is palpable.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I took a 12 year old kid and his dad out to let the little man kill his first rabbit. The dogs circled it around and I told him to get ready...he cocked his single shot 410 and prepared to shoot. The rabbit came by so quick that he didn't get a shot off...I was worried he would shoot my dogs so I said just wait and they will circle back around. I turned to take a step and heard a pow as shot and dirt hit my back. The kid had went to uncock his gun and his thumb slipped as it was aimed at me.....thank the Lord he had it towards the ground where it just got my boots. I about crapped my pants though. His dad went off on him and made him go to the truck. I felt terrible for the young man and told him to learn from it. I think his dad was embarrassed more than anything, but heck...stuff happens.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    We don't have woods in the bay area :cool:

We did visit Yosemite a few times though.
    When they say don't leave food/drinks out, they mean it :rolleyes:
    We experimented and stayed one night in one of those primitive stone rooms that are set up in a little "town". Usually we stayed in a tent. Well my brother and father decided to leave koolaid out in the room, and I was outside in the middle of the night sitting at the table by the fire. I went inside, and a few minutes later a bear shows up at the table I was just sitting at, and nearby residents saw it enter the area and chased it away.
    I am glad I had decided to go inside at that exact moment.

One dumb thing I did at Yosemite myself, was go over the barrier at glacier point :cool:. I thought I had it under control, but my dad apparently nearly pissed himself when he saw me do it. I guess parents don't like to see their kids 3,200 ft over a valley. It was an amazing view looking down though!

infinititech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    My dad working on out houses in atterbury and they were bombing the area filled their truck bed full of dirt it was that close

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Ive had a bird hunter shoot over my head from about 10 feet away. I was bow hunting in a brushline between two fields. When i yelled out he bout crapped himself. He said he didnt know anybody was out there. I thought it was kinda funny being that he parked his truck close enough to mine that i had to crawl in from the passengers side.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Ive got a Pennsylvania story too! Dad and I used to hunt a private farm in eastern PA when I was a kid.
    We were walking back to truck at the end of the day when we see headlights pull into the top field of the farm. (the farm is on a big hill) It sounded like a war zone up in that field, must have been 4 guys firing from the bed of a truck. My father and I made a B line to the farmers house and called the game warden. When the warden arrived the yahoo's in the truck were still field dressing deer in the upper field. After it was all over with the game warden came to the house and thanked us for the call. He mentioned that alcohol was involed, trespass, hunting from a vehicle, no hunter orange, and several other charges.

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I have two.

I'm from West Virginia and was attending college at WVU. My roommate took me and my buddy and another guy duck hunting on opening day. We were set up really nicely, and really early that the prime spot on the water hole. About 30 minutes before shooting light happens about 6 guys walk in, look at us, clearly see us and set up across the pond. Effectively dicking us. The birds could not leave where they were without flying over them to get to us. They proceeded to lob steel shot in our direction and at the birds for the remainder of the morning before we decided it wasn't worth one of them hitting us.

I also lease some land near Westport to hunt deer with 3 other guys that I know and have hunted with since moving out here. I trust them. I was heading the last week of bow season and had decided I was just going to pull my treestands down. The road leading into the property runs along a "finger" of trees that is posted with do not hunt signs facing our side. I roll in and notice that some jack wagon had set up a ground blind in the trees just off our property. However he was backed up against a tree and facing our front field. Now in the county we were in it was bow only at this point in the season. He is holding his in-line smoke pole right there. He stands up crosses the property line and throws some profanity my way for messing up his hunt. I politely ask him if he's hunting our land and he replies no. A blatant lie from how he is set up. He says he saw that no one was hunting today and decided to try his luck. I also remind him that was hunting with a gun out of season. He told me that across the creek in the next county over it wasn't and he saw this spot first. Right then two does popped out into the field and he swept me with his muzzle as he pulled his gun up on them (while they were still on our property) I stepped out of the vehicle and he noticed my pistol. I suggested he take his poaching ass on over across the river where he could legally hunt without trespassing and that we wouldn't have any problems. He hopped on his 4-wheeler and took off down the road.

Neither were the scariest stories, but being alone in the woods in the middle of nowhere made me nervous. I didn't know this guy from Adam and hunters can be a crazy bunch. Luckily he decided to head off and we haven't seen him since.

DGansert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    A buddy and I were checking out an accident that happend around the corner from my house, two bow hunters walked up on us and drew down told us to get the f out of the area. It was 1968 the car was down in a pretty deep ditch, it took the tow company about a week to get it out. Scared the crap out of us, we were 11 or 12 at the time.

rv7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    I was canoeing, suddenly some 22 bullets were buzzing over our heads. My buddy ducked and yelled incoming. I pulled a 38 and emptied in their direction. Things got pretty quiet. After we loaded up we drove in their direction. They were still way back in the field. They were not friendly because they would not come up and talk to us!

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I was canoeing, suddenly some 22 bullets were buzzing over our heads. My buddy ducked and yelled incoming. I pulled a 38 and emptied in their direction. Things got pretty quiet. After we loaded up we drove in their direction. They were still way back in the field. They were not friendly because they would not come up and talk to us!

I assume you are just making stuff up, but if you are actually admiting to this felony, I hope the statute of limitations hasn't run out and you are arrested and prosecuted for this.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    While I was a ranger at Alaska I was in a close encounter with a Brown bear. It was looking at me like I'd be its next meal. And I only had a 9mm pistol with me. THen my partner saw the bear too. He got into his loud truck and started driving toward the bear. When his old truck backfired, it scared the bear and it left. The bear was like 30 yards from me. I knew how fast they could run.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    One for me:

I was 13 or 14 and I was about 4'9" climbing into my 6'4" dads treestand, he was hanging around until I got into the stand, I got stuck at one point and didnt know how to get any higher, I was about 20ft up, I looked at him and mouthed "what do I do?"

"Jump"

So i jumped to the next branch and pulled myself up.

Situation 2 happened to my dad. This is a couple years prior to the first story. He was sitting in his treestand bowhunting and a black bear walked up his path. Walked right up to the tree looked at him and started climbing. He was about 25ft up, and stood up to jump with the bear right below him pawing at the stand. His knife caught the stand, so he drew it an threw it at the bear cutting its nose. It jumped down and was circling the tree, as dusk came closer he decided to shoot it, he did it ran about 20yds and died. Called the CO and they took it away, it was an old sow that followed the scent of blood on his boots from the deer the night before. I dont remember the weight, but it was nearly a record for the area and took 5 guys to get it into the back of the truck (field dressed), and filled the entire bed. I was lucky cause at the time our stands were right next to each other (I was 12) and I had homework.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Yea, me too... The only story I have isnt even that dangerous. I was maybe 10, climbing an old pine tree. About 15ft up, the branch my hand was on broke, and I fell, parallel with the tree, trying to grab a hold the whole way down. About halfway down I was suddenly stopped by a branch, when it tucked into the skin on the left side of my stomach and snagged my rib cage. I cleaned it up, never told my parents, and I still have the scar.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    while bow hunting in owen putnam had a squirrel hunter shooting buck shot at a squirrel and the shot was raining down on me. i yelled and the guy kept shooting like 4 more rounds.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Not sure how dangerous this is, but it's funny none the less..

Buddy of mine decided to go mudding one day right after school. I didn't have anything in my truck except a bottle of water and us. No clothes, blankets, food, nothing.

We get over to a pretty good spot on another friends land (friend A) and are having a ball. It's about 3:30 He says hey, let's head down there. Pointing down a small hill into some woods. So we do, and we find mud hole glory. It was a blast. Until I got stuck. Drop it into 4, nothing. We are frozen.

Get outta the truck, no way of us pushing it out. He decides to call one of our friends (friend B), no cell phone service.. Awesome. So we start walking, we thought we weren't that deep into the woods. That is, until we couldn't find our way out. We were completely ass backwards, and had no idea where we were. Finally we hit a dirt road, and just followed it. At that point I just wanted to get somewhere warm (This was mid april about 40*).

As we're walking the friend we tried to call (friend B) pulled up on a four wheeler, apparently we had run up into his land as we were exploring through the trees. So he rode back to his barn, and brought out his truck (f150) and tried to pull us up. Nothing. Can't even budge us. He called his Uncle, who brought out his lifted Dodge 4500. That truck didn't even break a sweat pulling my little F150 outta there.

It was scary that we got stuck and were alone. It was scarier we had no cell phone service. Even scarier was the fact we rode up into someone else land, and didn't know it (thank God it was a friends land).

Learned a few lessons that day,

1) Dont mud alone.
    2) Dont listen to Nick when he says, "Hey, let's go down there."

Top Bottom