• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    So what are the maindifferences between an Olympic Arms/DPMS/Bushmaster and Noveske/BCM/Daniel Defense? (Not including "options" like chrome lined barrel and such which is for added durability) I know a big factor in some of the higher priced offerings is a weight advantage, but what else is there? Tighter tolerances? It seems as though tighter tolerances may make a rifle more accurate but less reliable (I work with a guy that just bought a $3000 1911 and had many malfunctions in his first range trip). Also, isn't the sloppier tolerances what makes the AK47 generally more "reliable" in extreme conditions (mud, water, sand, etc)?

The tolerances are the same for all AR 15 rifles. There is not a way to make one with tighter tolerances. Or even looser tolerances. There are just a few venders that make all the parts, that everybody uses, to mil-spec. All bets are off with the fancy coatings though. Maybe even headspace. Check out Krieger's announcement to no longer provide standard bolts with their chambered barrels for AR's. If you are using a chromed bolt, they want you to send it to them for chambering your new barrel.

BTW, I don't believe that Colt is the major supplier to the US Military. I think FN is.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just shows the difference in quality between manufactures. You know the topic of this discussion.

Might want to lay off the drinks.

It isn't showing the difference in build quality. It's showing what happens when you get your AR15's gas tube partially filled with water.

This would be the same case for a bargain bin piston driven gun VS a top shelf DI gun in that comparison.

H&K doesn't even bother to chrome line their civilian MR556, they put the screws to their customers when it comes to their long arms. The MR556 wouldn't even pass the lowly milspec test.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    Having been into ARs for years and building many of my own, I lean towards the camp that says they are all pretty much the same. Aside from the BCG, barrel and lower parts kit, any mil-spec decent quality AR will be just as good as the next one. Upper and lower receivers are simply blocks of aluminum, they don't do anything and I've never ever seen one fail or wear out.

There may be differences in complete ARs from different makers that have to do with assembly but the componets will be equivalent. A Lower from Rock River, Spikes, DD, Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS and a hundred others are all the same for the most part. Some will be better finished but they are all made in the same couple of factories out of the same material. A Colt is no different than a Spikes besides the name and price.

I just bought a new Spikes stripper lower. It is nicest and best made of any lower I have owned. The funny thing is, the difference between the nicest lower I have ever seen and the worst one was very very minor. I'm speaking about apples to apples components. Forged machined lower compared to other forged machined lowers. No cast or plastic or billet.

Point is, anyone who knows ARs knows a guy in his workshop or garage can build an AR out of parts ordered online that will be just as good in every way as the Colts or whatever name you choose. I've built a bunch and the guy who taught me was a Marine armorer. The other guy I learned from is an FFL dealer who specializes in ARs and compeats in AR matches and is a gunsmith of high order. They all have their favs but they also admit the parts are pretty much all the same.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd buy a BCM for your budget, just as good as DD and a little cheaper.:twocents: You want your key components to be top quality, ie BCG, barrel, LPK

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I'm new to the forum, but I'll chime in on this.

I'm going to break this down into parts.

First, Lower receiver. Generally all the same. Only major difference between manufacturers is trigger group, material, and maybe some fringe extras. Most are 7075 billet or forged aluminum and mil spec. Find one with a roll mark/logo you like ;)

Uppers are where the money comes into play. Barrels, hand guards, bolt carrier groups's, back up sights, etc.., most of which comes down to preference. Don't let others tell you what YOU like, figure it out for yourself.

The bonus to the AR platform is that they're like Jeeps. It's pretty much a lego gun. Most parts fit, and they aren't terribly hard to replace.

If you're new to the AR platform. Pick up a plinker, and see what you like and don't like. Then go from there. Best advice you'll get.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you are going to order the parts and put it together yourself PSA has the best prices and a lot of people has had good results with quality, I order a complete rifle and got a great deal on it and has been great for for me, I contemplate getting a Colt but after holding a few and doing research I did not due the limited options and very high price tag for what I wanted. I order a BCM mid and got a great price on it not to mention great fit and finish and has been a great rifle so far, I also pick up a S&W VTAC II and turn out a great rifle also as well as great value since it came fitted with top quality add ons from factory (stock, trigger, handguard, muzzle device, sling, etc) and also been great. I understand that a lot of people like a certain name and if that works for them that is great but I suggest to look past the name and look at other options.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just shows the difference in quality between manufactures. You know the topic of this discussion.

Nothing to do with quality. The HK416 has special design modifications to make it "Over-the-Beach" capable. Among others there are extra drain holes in the buffer tube, an extractor support lug in the barrel extension and a minimal chamber face chamfer to aid in cartridge case support. OTB capable 416's are restricted to certain cartridges that work with the modified chamber.

SO.... not a quality issue.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I own one Bushmaster and a few Colts. All are excellent shooters. My pride and joy is my Knight's Armament SR-25 in 7.62 X 51 NATO that Eugene Stoner actually held in his genius hands . While my Target Rifle is the SR, any of my AR Rifles will be my go-to Self Defense Rifle. None of my AR Rifles are considered "upper tier" or "lower tier"; they're just off the shelf rifles. Can I fine tune them, send them to a Gun Smith to have all the parts polished and hand fitted to bring them to a true "upper tier" class of firearm? Sure, however there is a Point of Diminishing Returns where the dollars spent will not buy a mechanical improvements, but only cosmetics improvements and bragging rights. Each of us will need to determine that point for ourselves.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    For reliability, it is very hard to beat a Palmetto AR. Their prices are incredible. They aren't an moa accurate rifle but they'll run like a champ.

Currently all of my lowers have Palmetto LPKs. I also have 3 of their uppers. 2 moa is the best I've seen out of them.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    The people who think a Noveske, Knight, DD, etc. etc. are comparable to DPMS, RRA, PSA are the people who don't own the previously mentioned. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the latter, but to say they are the same is short-sighted.

To put the triggers that come in DPMS, RRA, PSA stock guns in the same class as KAC's standard two-stage trigger is heretical.

Same goes for comparing Noveske barrels to run of the mill 'mil-spec' barrels.

There ARE differences and sometimes you DO get what you pay for. The next time my rifle comes out of my trunk my life may depend on it. Piece of mind of a quality rifle is worth the cost and more.

To say there is 'no difference' in AR's and their respective build quality is short-sighted.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Some people just love McDonalds and wont understand why you would pay more then $1 for a burger.

Top Bottom