• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    By that logic we should still be blaming Jimmy Carter for being the driving force in opening the door for a hostile regime in Iran which has been a perennial problem ever since and also for negotiating a deal which put us on the hook for the money to Israel that so many people incessantly b**ch about.

I still blame that damned John Adams. It's all been downhill since.

Seriously, it's a shame our prez didn't have a pair when he ran for office, if the problem was too large, he should have acknowledged he wasn't man enough to handle it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I think that when we look at our nations dilemma's they fall mostly into two (2) separate groups.

Group #1 is the generic background noise of history. It impacts us as does all history before us but our daily lives and/or our government are not forced to deal with the continuing collateral damage. Example: The influenza pandemic of 1917 started in the United States. President Wilson was advised to NOT send troops to Europe until we had it contain, but he felt pressure from our allies and sent them anyway. Troops in trenches under horrific conditions spread the disease quickly into a worldwide pandemic. This is not to say it wouldn't have happened anyway but the timing sucked. As we may suffer from this horror in minor ways it is pretty well "just history" and President Wilson isn't blamed for any problems stemming from this decision today.

Group #2 is when our daily lives and / or our government are being compelled to deal with decisions made in the past. Example: President Dwight D. Eisenhower under the advice of the Dulles brothers allows Kermit Roosevelt to overthrow the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh. This action, while temporarily granting the US influence from 1953 - 1979, has caused us significant blowback for the last 30 years.

There are many more decisions made in Group #1 over Group #2. However, the Group #2 decisions have proven of greater significance simply due to the fact that we are still dealing with their repercussions.

One of the greatest single impacts on our modern economy was instigated by President Richard Milhous Nixon. I would humbly submit that opening trade with China is impacting us today as much as any other event. This decision cannot be pigeonholed into "good" or "bad." It simply is.

As we are still feeling effects of decisions made by President George W Bush it is fair to signify him as the "cause" of those decisions directly impacting us. Example: The Pres Bush tax cuts of 2001 & 2003 that were set to expire in December of 2010 were extended. As we will be arguing over them at least through the middle of next month it is fair to say that by the nature of their design we can signify Pres Bush with this dilemma. However, as Pres Obama did not veto the vote to extend these cuts he also can be signified as a cause of these arguments we are going to have.

I personally blame Pres Johnson for some of the issues with Medicare and Medicaid as these programs are sapping a significant amount of the Federal budget. I blame Pres George W Bush for the hundred of billions of dollars added to the Federal budget through the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003.

I blame President Obama for issues too numerous to mention.

But there IS a positive upside! As we live in a republic I know I shall never run out of names to blame as we shall cycle through them from now until my demise. It gives me great comfort to know that I will be allowed to expand the number of names on a list of decision makers of despicable choices.

Regards,

Doug

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I think we, as a society, focus too much on the President and not enough on Congress' role in the mess we are in. That doesn't mean that some/most/all of our recent Presidents haven't been the equivalent of rotting burlap sacks of crap in a hail storm, but they are only a fraction of the equation.

Granted, the President sets the tone and gets the spotlight 24/7, but if Congress says, "We aren't going to have TSA/Homeland Security/entitlements/whatever", then we won't have it. When they haven't the stones to say "no" or "yes" as needed, we get a millstone around our neck.

The President doesn't have magic powers to make things better/worse. He has to act within a framework that has some checks and balances against how much he can **** it up. By not checking and/or balancing, Congress is just as complicit, arguably more so, as the Chief Executive.

Since they, via the Senate, also confirm/deny Supreme Court Justices, if you don't like anyone sitting on that bench, ask not what your President did to nominate them, but what Congress did to not confirm them.

p.s. I don't think the Seventeenth Amendment did much good RE: keeping the Executive branch in check, either. That screwed the States and Congress, IMHO.

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I blame GW for the sketchy way he bought and then sold the Texas Rangers. Lining a lot of pockets which in turn allowed them to sign Alex Rodriguez to that ridiculous contract, and subsequently causing all of baseball to fall into the steroid era......

.....yeah. I blame him for THAT.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    You know, I hear people state that Obama blames everything on Bush more frequently than I actually hear Obama blame things on Bush.....

Maybe I watch too much Fox, though....

If I repub wins, INGOers won't be allowed to blame a single thing on Obama after January 2017.

:D :): :laugh:

BAHAHAH

Whew...

That is plausible....

Honest answer though.... Republicans will continue to blame Democrats, and Democrats will continue to blame Republicans. Welcome to politics in America.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OK -
    I blame that B****, Eve. It's all her fault.
    If it wasn't for her, I'd be naked right now! :xmad:

Well- OK, If it wasn't for her, I'd be naked later! :xmad:

Crap- OK, If it wasn't for her, I'd be naked all the time! :xmad:

Top Bottom