• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My niece joined the U.S.Army and went into Bio/Nuclear/Chemical field.
    She makes rank fast, gets great sums of bucks for reinlistments, and nobody jacks with her.
    She's usually on one of the Asian DMZs for long stretches at a time. No need I think to say where.
    She's living the good military life in her field.
    OH, edit in here...
    She got her HS diploma as a requirement and now has a college degree as well. All paid with our tax dollars.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's the last place I'd send my daughter if she was interested in military service.
    yep because I wouldnt want my daughter getting banged more than an old wood screendoor on a country store.
    Theres a reason one of the first things I learned in the military was to stay away from any females other than ones in the Air Force.

Of coarse there are always exceptions for everything, but when other retired branch guys are telling you AIR FORCE theres a lot of good reasons for it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    yep because I wouldnt want my daughter getting banged more than an old wood screendoor on a country store.
    Theres a reason one of the first things I learned in the military was to stay away from any females other than ones in the Air Force.

Of coarse there are always exceptions for everything, but when other retired branch guys are telling you AIR FORCE theres a lot of good reasons for it.

Actually it was the other branches women getting passed around the barracks. Sure Marine women did their banging too but they were tough and did the same work. Also compared to the Army as a corporal or E4 I was running 7-12 vehicle convoys with up to 25 people who looked to me if crap hit the fan. If you want to really become a leader early in life join the Corps.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Do you hear that? It sounds like a metallic clicking. It's getting louder. OH MY GOD IT'S A JDAM!!! I like JDAMs, they give us bang for the buck. That and air conditioning. I retrained in 1999 to be a Manpower and Organization Analyst because of air conditioning. I've been on open fork-lifts in the rain, loaded trucks in snowstorms and wore chemical defense gear in the south Georgia summertime all as a Blue Suiter. Air Conditioning and Excel is better.

You haven't lived until you've spent an hour in MOPP 4 in Georgia in July. Fun times.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think that about sums it up! :):

Heck yes. I spent most of my deployed time on an air conditioned ConEx box office on the flight line. It's 117 F in the shade out there, who hangs out in that?

Air conditioning a tent is like sponging up the ocean, only not quite as fruitless. It takes the edge off during the day, and freezes you out at night. And it's crazy loud if you're stuck on the end near the outside unit (as I always seemed to be).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you want to really become a leader early in life join the Corps.

Agree with this entirely. In the Air Force, you aren't really leading anything much at all until you are a TSgt. As an officer, you can be a Captain and still not doing a whole lot of actual leading (it's more management). If you are a pilot, you won't be a leader until you are a Major and get the aircraft commander cert. The USAF coddles its young and stunts their growth because it is so risk averse.

USMC and to some degree the Army have a small unit mentality that develops leaders much younger-- as a Cpl or so you better know wth you are doing. The USAF is a big unit mentality, a the basic unit is a whole flying squadron, not a rifle company. There'a ton of micro-management baked into the pie.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Agree with this entirely. In the Air Force, you aren't really leading anything much at all until you are a TSgt. As an officer, you can be a Captain and still not doing a whole lot of actual leading (it's more management). If you are a pilot, you won't be a leader until you are a Major and get the aircraft commander cert. The USAF coddles its young and stunts their growth because it is so risk averse.

USMC and to some degree the Army have a small unit mentality that develops leaders much younger-- as a Cpl or so you better know wth you are doing. The USAF is a big unit mentality, a the basic unit is a whole flying squadron, not a rifle company. There'a ton of micro-management baked into the pie.

Our Sncos and officers had complete faith and confidence us nco's could run things and bring our guys back safe every night. Our Captain went with us on 6 convoys before he and our Gunny let us take over.

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    After you leave the service, are you able to sit for board exams as a nurse or PA?

Should have mentioned that I was on active duty from 1968 - 1972 and 1975 - 1977 with active reserve after that. Don't know how it is now, I'm sure Corpsmen and Nurses have more technical training than I did back then. The Navy was pushing people through Hospital Corps School as fast as possible without sacrificing any training. Could have probably taken PA exams, but nurses needed what I call an, "I'm smart paper", i.e. college degree. :) Back then though, you could actually get good jobs in related fields. I worked for Curtis Candy, (Standard Brands, Inc), and Alberto Culver in their QC Chemistry Labs for a while testing raw materials, (Fun but kind of smelly at times). ;) Was also able to do phlebotomy, (Drawing blood), and lab work in two hospitals, and an ER Tech at George Washington University Hospital in D.C. Places back then actually took military experience into consideration for job placement. Now, places want, "I'm Smart", papers to go along with the experience. Nothing at all wrong with a college degree, but I've always thought OJT was essential also. I know I'm not much help in this post, but nostalgia can be a good comparison sometimes. :patriot:

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think in most states, corpsman must get some additional schooling before testing.

TV show NCIS even had an episode about a corpsman.

LARRY1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I am ex NAVY I would look at going to a VA hospital or veteran organization their are women veterans would love to help!

Top Bottom