• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Like virtually everyone, my schedule was loosely based around my employer's business hours, my wife's employer business hours, my doctor's business hours, activities we wanted to participate in, etc.

Changing all those collective schedules would be an unneeded nightmare.

Far easier to get a group of politicians to order clocks to be changed twice a year.
    I agree except for the clock flipping. Any politician who supports that should be recalled and jailed. When I'm grand poohbah of the world, I will so decree that. Also, I will decree that no consideration of bicycles shall be made for public roads intended for primarily motor vehicles. Oh. A couple more. No pineapple on pizza, and I will ban sizeflation. A gallon of ice cream should be a gallon, regardless of the price.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am responding within the specific context of someone claiming that lack of DST in summer would adversely impact a lawn-mowing side hustle.
    Okay. But it obviously does. No matter how you say it, more hours of daylight after work to spend on the side hustle translates to more lawns that can be mowed per day, and thus more money. Even if you say well you can still mow at dusk, DST has a dusk too! It's till an extra hour of mowing. That fact should not be controversial.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How many of you up there in Canadahstan have started mowing yet? I think my first mow was a couple weeks ago. I've mowed twice more since.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How many of you up there in Canadahstan have started mowing yet? I think my first mow was a couple weeks ago. I've mowed twice more since.
    Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office (GIF Image)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Idunno. We get dew points in the mid 70's regularly during the dog days. Temps often dip down into that range after sunset. Maybe it's not dew. But, after the sun sets, the grass starts getting more moist. If I remember, I'll rub my hands over the grass on such an evening, and photograph my wet hands, with a timestamp, and post it here.
    And what is the hourly air temperature on those days? In those dog days, I'm guessing daytime high temperatures (around 3:30 - 4:00?) are in the mid-80s or even mid-90s. At what time does the temperature drop even into the 70s?

(I based my numbers on Indianapolis; things could be different farther south.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It needs no analysis he has an extra hour of light to do his work than he did a month ago.

Was just noting at dinner with friends that a month ago sunset was about 5:30 pm, now it is after 8 pm. We love it!
    There must be a lot of lawn-mowing happening in March... :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. Okay. Maintaining the tractor is a chore. I'll have to wrestle the mower deck off and sharpen the blades. I forgot to do that before I put the deck on. And I think the hydraulic fluid is due to be changed in a few hours of use. That **** is expensive. But the mowing itself is not a chore.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Okay. But it obviously does. No matter how you say it, more hours of daylight after work to spend on the side hustle translates to more lawns that can be mowed per day, and thus more money. Even if you say well you can still mow at dusk, DST has a dusk too! It's till an extra hour of mowing. That fact should not be controversial.
    That also depends on municipality. Many have noise restrictions that start at 10:00PM (some start at 11:00PM). So, even where there might be sufficient light, lawn mowing would be prohibited.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No lawn-mowing needed yet here in Hendricks County. We woke up to frost this morning.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And what is the hourly air temperature on those days? In those dog days, I'm guessing daytime high temperatures (around 3:30 - 4:00?) are in the mid-80s or even mid-90s. At what time does the temperature drop even into the 70s?

(I based my numbers on Indianapolis; things could be different farther south.)
    The hottest part of the day here is usually between 5-6PM. It happens often enough. And it may not be dew. But it is moisture that seems to form on the grass that was not there when the sun was up. Sometimes, when I walk through the grass in the late evening, my shoes get damp. Doesn't happen during the day unless it's overcast and the temps are near the dew point.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That also depends on municipality. Many have noise restrictions that start at 10:00PM (some start at 11:00PM). So, even where there might be sufficient light, lawn mowing would be prohibited.
    I don't think anyone will want their lawn mowed after 10PM anyway. If we were on standard time, it's pretty damn dark at 10PM anyway.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Come mow mine then. I can let you enjoy the outdoors for a while
    I don't want to have to drag my tractor around. But. If you want to pay for gas, wear and tear on the truck and trailer to get it to wherever you live, and diesel for the tractor, fine. But you better have a big enough lawn to get through an hour or so podcast to make it worthwhile.

Top Bottom