• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    This was probably the worst experience of my life. First off i want to say that it was not the show or the people who run it but the fact that I missed out on the deal of a lifetime or got screwed over by one of the dealers. Here is what happened........ I was going through the tables just like normal behind the same gentleman for about an hour. He had a backpack on and I noticed that he had pulled out a Colt box.... Hmmm is he looking to sell or trade. I asked him what he had and if he wanted to sell. He said that it was .22 semi automatic that his dad had given to him and he was looking to sell. I was very interested to say the least and when he opened the box and told me that he wanted to sell his 4" Colt Match Target for $500 I grabbed my wallet and said SOLD!!!!! (yeah i know he didn't know what he had) Here is where it turned bad. The guy who was running the table that we were standing by overheard me and politely informed us that in Ohio individuals can not buy or sell handguns to other individuals at gunshows and it is his obligation as a dealer to stop the transaction. I honestly don't know if this is the law in Ohio or not but i do know this is the case in Illinois. If this is the law fine.... but what really chapped my a$$ was the dealer went ahead bought the gun from this guy. Now I know I am just whining but wouldn't a reputable dealer at least offer to be the "middleman" and do a FFL transfer. I had a copy of my lgs FFL so I could have had it shipped to him. What do you think?

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    You can buy and sll in Ohio at a gun show, but you have to be an Ohio resident. Dealer was correct if he knew you lived in Indiana. You could have called me. I would have bought it and let you look at it.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    You can buy and sll in Ohio at a gun show, but you have to be an Ohio resident. Dealer was correct if he knew you lived in Indiana. You could have called me. I would have bought it and let you look at it.

So how did the dealer know you were from IN? Did he hear the need to send to FFL? Thinking the seller didn't want to bother with shipping. I'm assuming that the gun would have to been sent/transferred to IN. Would have C&R license helped here?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Dealer was correct about handgun sale to a non-resident/non-FFL holder.
    He's an FFL so he can purchase handguns from a non-resident.

If it had been a long gun, you'd have been in the clear since Ohio is a border state.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Long-gun sales between residents of differing states STILL need to go through an FFL...

But can go through an FFL in either the buyer or seller's state (provided states share a common border). I have also read reports of vacationers buying long guns from shops in other noncontiguous states - and walk out with them. I think this reflects those states' laws, however.

Top Bottom