• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Long you tube but worth the watch....Guess some knew who he was for a long time. Now his kids have come forward to tell all. Never knew much of this....same old FBI though, nothing has changed there. 30 books made, 30 suspects named.....to me, its all to obvious that it really is Richard Floyd McCoy. Never once have I ever heard of the 2nd high jacking in April 1972.

Last edited by a moderator:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    No time to watch something over two hours but unless they explain how the money was laundered without any of the serial numbers being found except for the 5k found by a kid out in the wilderness I will continue to believe what is left of him is somewhere out near where the money was found.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    No time to watch something over two hours but unless they explain how the money was laundered without any of the serial numbers being found except for the 5k found by a kid out in the wilderness I will continue to believe what is left of him is somewhere out near where the money was found.
    He couldn’t hang to the $$ and dropped it during free fall. He did it better 5 months later the 2nd time and saved all that $500,000.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Short version in wiki article on McCoy

More about McCoy:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

I'd say what was left of him got recycled as bear crap.

I have a crap ton of parachute jumps, and under no circumstances (other than the plane falling uncontrolled out of the sky) would I attempt a jump like that, even when I was all muscle...

And where he jumped, there are a million other ways to die...
    I've been in the area, and it's as rough surviving as it gets, and I had two mountain survival courses, no way I'd try it without the proper gear.

The serial numbers of the money are still flagged, not one bill has turned up at the US Treasury in all this time.
    I read somewhere that all US Currency gets recycled through the Treasury every 2-5 years no matter where it's spent in the world,... where is the cash?

*IF* he beat all the odds and survived, he was just plain lucky since not even special forces would have jumped into that area blind.

I know people like to romance the idea of a criminal getting away with something,
    (I don't know why, but they do)
    But the odds are WAY in favor of him being compost where he eventually landed.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't know, I'm starting to suspect JeepHammer might be D.B. Cooper!

Even though I'm an old geezer, I'm still too young.
    I've seen & done some crap, but pulling this off at 10 years old isn't likely ;)
    I get caught every time I exceed the speed limit by 10 mph, or forget my seatbelt, so my criminal career is pretty much non-existent.

I've not really studied the D.B. Dan Cooper thing, but the specific request on parachutes always struck me as odd.

(If he actually did request a specific parachute, I wasn't exactly an investigator at the scene, or anyplace else)

Like maybe that was the specific parachute he was trained on in some skydiving class?

Not exactly an original idea, but one that rang true with me when I read about it.

I froze my butt off out there in mountaineering/survival school, where D.B. Coopers remains were the urban legend,
    And I had all the correct gear, including a parka, not a light weight business suit.

When someone says he had a vehicle waiting...
    Have they even seen a topographical map of the area?

Roads are few & far between, trees/terrain would block even vehicle lights from the air, how would you drop on something you couldn't see?

The British troops had a saying,
    "Death has three children, hungry, cold & wet, and they will find you."

We were properly supplied, supported, equipped & trained, and it was MISERABLE...

I have to vote compost, bear crap, bones at the bottom of a lake or river...

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I ended up listening to the entire thing. It's interesting, but with some better editing and not repeating things over and over, it could have been about an hour long.

Not knowing a ton about it other than it being a mystery that always piques my curiosity when the subject comes up, what is shown in the video is pretty compelling. When you get the info about a second hijacking that occurred with the same basic MO, it seems to pretty much seal the deal.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Anyone remember the hijacker that copied D.B. Cooper and landed near Peru, Indiana in 1972?

June 23, 1972: In the 9th copycat D.B. Cooper-style hijacking Martin J. McNally under the pseudonym of Robert W. Wilson hijacked American Airlines Flight 119, a Boeing 727 bound from St. Louis to Tulsa and demanded $502,500. The plane flew back and forth between Tulsa and St. Louis while the loot was raised. In St. Louis, live news reports about the hijacking prompted David J. Hanley, a 30-year-old businessman, to crash his 1972 Cadillac at 80 mph through two airport fences, travel down the runway at high speed and crash into the nosegear of the plane, which was beginning to taxi. The demolished car lodged under the fuselage and one wing. Hanley suffered multiple injuries and was charged with willfully damaging a civil aircraft. The hijacker transferred to a new 727 and jumped out of the plane over Indiana. The full loot bag and gun were discovered by searchers near Peru, Indiana. Fingerprints led to McNally. While in Marion Federal Prison McNally and fellow inmate and hijacker Garrett Trapnell (see January 28, 1972 below) were involved in an attempted prison escape on May 24, 1978, after Trapnell's girlfriend hijacked a helicopter. The escape attempt ended when the helicopter pilot grabbed the woman's gun and killed her. McNally was paroled from prison January 27, 2010.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Even though I'm an old geezer, I'm still too young.
    I've seen & done some crap, but pulling this off at 10 years old isn't likely ;)
    I get caught every time I exceed the speed limit by 10 mph, or forget my seatbelt, so my criminal career is pretty much non-existent.

I've not really studied the D.B. Dan Cooper thing, but the specific request on parachutes always struck me as odd.

(If he actually did request a specific parachute, I wasn't exactly an investigator at the scene, or anyplace else)

Like maybe that was the specific parachute he was trained on in some skydiving class?

Not exactly an original idea, but one that rang true with me when I read about it.

I froze my butt off out there in mountaineering/survival school, where D.B. Coopers remains were the urban legend,
    And I had all the correct gear, including a parka, not a light weight business suit.

When someone says he had a vehicle waiting...
    Have they even seen a topographical map of the area?

Roads are few & far between, trees/terrain would block even vehicle lights from the air, how would you drop on something you couldn't see?

The British troops had a saying,
    "Death has three children, hungry, cold & wet, and they will find you."

We were properly supplied, supported, equipped & trained, and it was MISERABLE...

I have to vote compost, bear crap, bones at the bottom of a lake or river...
    You should watch the video...FBI was like 30 miles off searching from where he landed. Easy jump and many have duplicated it included in the video. $$$ landed in the river, he jumped where he did because its all flat terrain where he landed. Really should watch it, he survived and did the same thing again 5 months later becasue he couldn't hang onto the money, he was furious when the $$$ showed up and not in a knapsack like he had asked and tried making a bag, the skydiver in the video couldn't;t hang on to a bag of $$$ and deploy his chute, had to let it go. He learned from all his mistakes and for the next high jacking 5 months later.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Anyone remember the hijacker that copied D.B. Cooper and landed near Peru, Indiana in 1972?

June 23, 1972: In the 9th copycat D.B. Cooper-style hijacking Martin J. McNally under the pseudonym of Robert W. Wilson hijacked American Airlines Flight 119, a Boeing 727 bound from St. Louis to Tulsa and demanded $502,500. The plane flew back and forth between Tulsa and St. Louis while the loot was raised. In St. Louis, live news reports about the hijacking prompted David J. Hanley, a 30-year-old businessman, to crash his 1972 Cadillac at 80 mph through two airport fences, travel down the runway at high speed and crash into the nosegear of the plane, which was beginning to taxi. The demolished car lodged under the fuselage and one wing. Hanley suffered multiple injuries and was charged with willfully damaging a civil aircraft. The hijacker transferred to a new 727 and jumped out of the plane over Indiana. The full loot bag and gun were discovered by searchers near Peru, Indiana. Fingerprints led to McNally. While in Marion Federal Prison McNally and fellow inmate and hijacker Garrett Trapnell (see January 28, 1972 above) were involved in an attempted prison escape on May 24, 1978, after Trapnell's girlfriend hijacked a helicopter. The escape attempt ended when the helicopter pilot grabbed the woman's gun and killed her. McNally was paroled from prison January 27, 2010.

Not good to be asking "how to use a parachute?" while in the middle of a high jacking.....lol.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    What always intrigues me with video of Cooper is the freedom of movement in the airports. Nothing like the crap today you have to go through.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So dude jumped at 10,000ft at 150 knots with penny loafers?

I love crazy theories but this one is out there!

He tied the money to him with string?

Cabin temp was -7 when door opened?

Gonna be a tree landing?

Attended SERE 101 in the area it’s not easy to just walk through!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

June 23, 1972: In the 9th copycat D.B. Cooper-style hijacking Martin J. McNally under the pseudonym of Robert W. Wilson hijacked American Airlines Flight 119, a Boeing 727 bound from St. Louis to Tulsa and demanded $502,500. The plane flew back and forth between Tulsa and St. Louis while the loot was raised. In St. Louis, live news reports about the hijacking prompted David J. Hanley, a 30-year-old businessman, to crash his 1972 Cadillac at 80 mph through two airport fences, travel down the runway at high speed and crash into the nosegear of the plane, which was beginning to taxi. The demolished car lodged under the fuselage and one wing. Hanley suffered multiple injuries and was charged with willfully damaging a civil aircraft. The hijacker transferred to a new 727 and jumped out of the plane over Indiana. The full loot bag and gun were discovered by searchers near Peru, Indiana. Fingerprints led to McNally. While in Marion Federal Prison McNally and fellow inmate and hijacker Garrett Trapnell (see January 28, 1972 below) were involved in an attempted prison escape on May 24, 1978, after Trapnell's girlfriend hijacked a helicopter. The escape attempt ended when the helicopter pilot grabbed the woman's gun and killed her. McNally was paroled from prison January 27, 2010.

My older brother just told he remembers when that happened. The Peru Police Chief saw the guy hitch hiking and gave him a lift ! Dropped him off….. it wasn’t good when they found what had happened! LOL!!!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Dan Gryders you tube channel got hacked awhile back, thats why he lost the above video so posting it again since I don't seem to be able to edit it. I also just saw Dans most recent video from a couple day ago...wow what a story of him being arrested, a cop saying he had a clear shot and wanted to shoot him in the back but a superior said no. He could of been facing 40 years in Federal prison. First time Dan has ever spoke on this. Here is his DB Cooper video again and then I'll post the other about his story. EDIT: Thanks to the Mod that helped get the video back up!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom