• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Anyone have any recommendations on a db meter that won't break the bank but will provide accurate enough readings to test a can on a couple different guns?

I have a few cans in jail but I can shoot them and I wanted to test one in particular on a 556 as there are no tests I've found that show how it performs on a non-30 cal gun. I know it likely won't be as good as a great 556 can but I want to see if it's good enough to warrant me buying a second one so I have 2 fantastic 30 cal cans that would also be solid 556 performers (hopefully) to save some money on another 556 can purchase or two.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    So after looking at other forums and one related to just audio equipment the app and any "budget" or even hobbyist level meter is apparently a complete no go.

I'll likely try the app because why not but the gist of it for anyone else who ever considered this is the microphones in our phones simply will not register the levels of sound we need OR have the ability to capture the levels as fast as the sound is. They'll get the after echo but not the initial blast.

The $20-800ish stuff won't work either for basically the same reason (speed).

According to the "experts" this type of measurement can only be accurately captured by a very small handful of devices and the cheapest refurbished older units would run $6K minimum. A new model brand new condition is well above 5 figures.

At this point I totally understand why people pay pew science for his data that isn't public. I just wish he did more tests on calibers for the cans he gets in but they're all contracts and if the mfg only wants one caliber tested that's all he can do unfortunately.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    So after looking at other forums and one related to just audio equipment the app and any "budget" or even hobbyist level meter is apparently a complete no go.

I'll likely try the app because why not but the gist of it for anyone else who ever considered this is the microphones in our phones simply will not register the levels of sound we need OR have the ability to capture the levels as fast as the sound is. They'll get the after echo but not the initial blast.

According to the "experts" this type of measurement can only be accurately captured by a very small handful of devices and the cheapest refurbished older units would run $6K minimum. A new model brand new condition is well above 5 figures.

At this point I totally understand why people pay pew science for his data that isn't public. I just wish he did more tests on calibers for the cans he gets in but they're all contracts and if the mfg only wants one caliber tested that's all he can do unfortunately.
    Interesting.
    So does this shortcoming apply to electronic hearing protection microphones that detect high db's?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bummer that it isn't available on android phones.
    Look at the notes.

Its only for iphone due to the consistency of iphone hardware. Androids vary so greatly that they cant guarantee the accuracy based on the different flavors of hardware it runs on.

makes perfect sense really.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg

I agree with your research. Those apps are a waste of time. When I first got into silencers, I was really caught up in sound pressure levels, but eventually realized that every gun is different. I always shoot with hearing protection even when shooting suppressed because even just the action noise is loud. I've started to prioritize weight and length over dbs because I will have on ear protection when shooting anyways.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I agree with your research. Those apps are a waste of time. When I first got into silencers, I was really caught up in sound pressure levels, but eventually realized that every gun is different. I always shoot with hearing protection even when shooting suppressed because even just the action noise is loud. I've started to prioritize weight and length over dbs because I will have on ear protection when shooting anyways.
    Now I'm going to have to remember to whip my NIOSH app out next time I'm at the range. Just curious how well it works.

I know it must be fairly accurate. I had a beef with the isotunes shooting plugs. I was detecting a cut at 60db, (20-25db short of what everyone else cuts at) and after emailing my concerns to them, in not so many words was told that they were cutting out where they were designed to and that I had accurately described where they should cut out. (to their credit they gave me a full refund, even 6 months, and only 2 uses because many had complained it was lower than they should be ) out since they were still in mint condition. I still highly recommend isotunes for their other ear pro. Top notch!

Maybe its the shortness of the sound that makes it difficult to measure. Who knows? But it will be interesting to see what they say is the sound level.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Now I'm going to have to remember to whip my NIOSH app out next time I'm at the range. Just curious how well it works.

I know it must be fairly accurate. I had a beef with the isotunes shooting plugs. I was detecting a cut at 60db, (20-25db short of what everyone else cuts at) and after emailing my concerns to them, in not so many words was told that they were cutting out where they were designed to and that I had accurately described where they should cut out. (to their credit they gave me a full refund, even 6 months, and only 2 uses because many had complained it was lower than they should be ) out since they were still in mint condition. I still highly recommend isotunes for their other ear pro. Top notch!

Maybe its the shortness of the sound that makes it difficult to measure. Who knows? But it will be interesting to see what they say is the sound level.

Yeah there could be multiple things at play. The app may be good in the sub 100 db range, but may not be accurate in the 130 to 170 db range. It also may only consider the maximum db but not the average or something that accounts for exposure duration. If you just change the host firearm or the ammo, the db numbers can change significantly. There is also a significant difference between sound pressure levels at the muzzle and the shooters left and right ears. Thunderbeast and Griffin both have some good metering videos online where you can see the differences when they are using their fancy equipment for measurement.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I tried the NIOSH app and didn't like it. I was being the DJ at the VFW and using 4 stereo amps with a variety of speakers. All were tied into a bluetooth receiver so I could play music from iTunes on my iPad. I downloaded the app, and tried to set the volumes all the same with each playing the same song at the same vol on the tablet. The meter of the app (on my phone) was bouncing all over creation, and not in time with the music either. Even during a quiet passage it would suddenly jump up to 130 db. I found another app that worked better. Don't remember what it's called but it's a black square with a red circle. The "d" is lower case, and the "B" is capitol. If I clap my hands, the needle and reading goes up right then.

I was able to synchronize all 4 amps, then control the vol with the iPad.
    Great night.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sorry that I cannot recommend an affordable and accurate db meter. Isn't it sad that the BATF is so stupid on suppressors?

In the late 50's or early 60's there was big story in Popular Mechanics about how they had learned new technology for making silencers and would be able to manufacture them at a reasonable price. They were hoping to make them a popular accessory for hunting for the health of the hunter and the peace in the woods and surrounding areas.

I guess too many cold war era government bureaucrats watched the "Man from Uncle" TV series and thought they were only for combat between spies.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Sorry that I cannot recommend an affordable and accurate db meter. Isn't it sad that the BATF is so stupid on suppressors?

In the late 50's or early 60's there was big story in Popular Mechanics about how they had learned new technology for making silencers and would be able to manufacture them at a reasonable price. They were hoping to make them a popular accessory for hunting for the health of the hunter and the peace in the woods and surrounding areas.

I guess too many cold war era government bureaucrats watched the "Man from Uncle" TV series and thought they were only for combat between spies.
    I blame Hollywood

Everyone who isn't really into firearms believes everything with a suppressor on it will sound like a 300BO shooting subsonic with a wipe. Or 22lr subs on a 8" can.

If they knew just how loud the majority of them are- especially on those evil black "assault rifle 16's" - I think things *might* have gone differently.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Stuff for phones and the like may get you in a ballpark - but definitely not ideal.

First there are hardware limitations. The microphones on the devices have a range wherein they work. Outside that range and...it's outside range. Same with not picking up quiet stuff, right?

Then there's limitations of the software that's tied to said hardware.

If you want accurate data, then you're going to need good hardware AND software - and that's going to be in separate devices that are made for doing the work.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Stuff for phones and the like may get you in a ballpark - but definitely not ideal.

First there are hardware limitations. The microphones on the devices have a range wherein they work. Outside that range and...it's outside range. Same with not picking up quiet stuff, right?

Then there's limitations of the software that's tied to said hardware.

If you want accurate data, then you're going to need good hardware AND software - and that's going to be in separate devices that are made for doing the work.
    And for the price of that hardware alone (new] I could buy one of every suppressor released in the last 3 years and still have money left.

Top Bottom