• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Let us hope they accept.

My personal opinion, I hope I am right, is that this is the case that SCOTUS has been waiting for.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Appeals Court Denies D.C.'s Request for Full Court Hearing on Gun-Carry Law Struck Down in July

From here:
    1) DC caves = more permits
    2) DC appeals to SCOTUS & they decline = more permits
    3) DC appeals to SCOTUS & they accept!

This is great news.

However, I have "faith " in the DC government. It will continue to find other ways to not obey the rulings. I think it will take a major overhaul of the city government to get it to do anything right, guns or otherwise. Maybe when we get a Republican majority in the House and Senate they will sort out the Federal City.

Wait, what's that you say....?

:xmad:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So is this a win for 2a??

It is certainly a win for the 2A in DC. No doubt the city will continue to try to find ways to drag its feet, but their maneuver space has been substantially narrowed once again. And what is notable is that this Circuit court is not exactly populated with conservative judges, yet they chose not to overturn the panel decision, or even look into it.

Also I believe this still sets up a conflict among Circuit Courts, so it provides some more ammo for the SCOTUS to take the "right" case. Preferably after Trump appoints RGB's replacement, maybe a couple others.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is certainly a win for the 2A in DC. No doubt the city will continue to try to find ways to drag its feet, but their maneuver space has been substantially narrowed once again. And what is notable is that this Circuit court is not exactly populated with conservative judges, yet they chose not to overturn the panel decision, or even look into it.

Also I believe this still sets up a conflict among Circuit Courts, so it provides some more ammo for the SCOTUS to take the "right" case. Preferably after Trump appoints RGB's replacement, maybe a couple others.

Yeah, a win's a win. So that's a good thing.

The technical-legal point is complicated. The simple part is that the decision is only binding precedent on those case coming out of the district courts within the circuit. Strictly speaking, as JdsBiff alludes to, this decision only "applies" to DC. Washington, DC, is the only district within the DC circuit (basically because it isn't a state).

But, there is now a published appellate opinion, from a fairly well respected circuit (albeit left-leaning), supporting a 2A win. Certain more conservative circuits, like the 7th IMHO, now have a template of reasoning to follow. And, if any circuits reach a different conclusion, that's called a "circuit split" and those issues are more likely to get reviewed by SCOTUS.

TL;DR - it is a tangible win for the residents of DC. It is more of an intangible win for all other 2A supporters.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

DC and Chicago both get shot down by the courts time and time again only to try some other scheme to restrict their citizens RKBA. I wonder how much money they have pissed away defending these cases.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not pay taxes in either of those jurisdictions, but I object to the misues of their taxpayers money.

Top Bottom