• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They should also make everything illegal that makes you shoot more accurate.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    They should make them illegal so they will go away.
    The propaganda is to convince civilians to not only ban the item, but also make it deeply illegal to even have the files for the printing. I'm sure you knew this already, but my point is let's not lose focus of their real game.

Would a 3d printed sear really hold up past a couple magazines? I didn't see in there that the sear is actually being printed.. Did the writer just want to talk about how people use 3d printers?

Also, TB has an interesting point about the (unconstitutional) surveillance devices. NYC also has a fund for tech "workarounds" to the 4th amendment.

From the article
    ...police said they stopped a vehicle at a gas station on Bladensburg Road in Northeast and seized fentanyl, cocaine, three handguns, two with auto sears attached, and a rifle. Police said they also seized 66 rounds of ammunition for handguns and 193 rifle rounds.
    Imagine having two pistols capable of fully automatic firing and only having 3-4 magazines worth of ammo.

D.C. police have only recently begun to track seizures of the devices and don’t yet have a tally.
    What a crock of :bs:It's not at all feasible to me that they don't have a count with computerized records.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They've had ShotSpotter running for a decade or so. No idea how well it works.
    IIRC, it's like a "network" of omnidirectional microphones. Based on volume (decibels) and using triangulation between multiple microphones in an area, they can determine approximately where the shots were fired.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, if the number seized is twice what it was last year then it isn't even keeping up to the increasing rate of violent crimes.

Maybe we should require them to have them and run them all bankrupt from buying ammo?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Have you seen where in San Francisco they are paying felons $300 a month not to shoot people?

It is a trial run, but lets face it, the logic of it is all too apparent...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What a crock of :bs:It's not at all feasible to me that they don't have a count with computerized records.

Want to know how I know you have no experience with law enforcement reporting systems?

If a metric isn't captured by the software, there's no count to be made. If it's not UCR/NIBRs required, there's a real solid chance it's not captured.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Want to know how I know you have no experience with law enforcement reporting systems?

If a metric isn't captured by the software, there's no count to be made. If it's not UCR/NIBRs required, there's a real solid chance it's not captured.
    I'll make no attempt to pretend that I've looking into this in detail, so please take any questions as me wanting to understand and not as attacks.

If they've started keeping track, wouldn't that mean that they've added a slot for the software to keep the tally? Why purposefully expand beyond the data required for the feds if they aren't going to store/analyze it?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If they've started keeping track, wouldn't that mean that they've added a slot for the software to keep the tally? Why purposefully expand beyond the data required for the feds if they aren't going to store/analyze it?

There's a few ways to do it. If you add it to the reporting system, it will not be retroactive but will capture data going foward (assuming, of course, the report makers enter the data correctly).

However if you're buying your reporting system from a vendor, say Motorola, you've got a generic one-size-fits-none reporting system that the vendor may not want to alter or may only alter for $$$$$$$ (as opposed to just $$).

So most departments have multiple reporting systems. Police reports in the "Johnny did a bad thing, here's the details" are done in one system. Evidence storage is done in another. Case management talks to reports but is a seperate thing.

So this could be a software fix or it could quite literally be property room personnel making tick marks on a paper form with a pencil any time one is checked in as evidence.

I'm assuming they will store/analyze it at some point, once data has been collected.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    There's a few ways to do it. If you add it to the reporting system, it will not be retroactive but will capture data going foward (assuming, of course, the report makers enter the data correctly).
    This was my main assumption. Of course, they wouldn't instantly be able to do backrecords, but to be able to have data since the start of the new collection should (another dangerous assumption) be straightforward.

However if you're buying your reporting system from a vendor, say Motorola, you've got a generic one-size-fits-none reporting system that the vendor may not want to alter or may only alter for $$$$$$$ (as opposed to just $$).
    It's somewhat surprising to me that with modern database software that there isn't a "create new index" starting on date MM/DD/YYYY that would just start adding tags to data. (I'm a numerical simulation guy and not a database guy at this point, so I can't give details on that). My impression is that most of the database issues with small companies is because they lack a standardized format from the get-go and have to jam it all together at some point. (I do run into this problem in my work... want to store data, come up with a good format, then go to expand it, and need to extend the format to capture the new features). Yet another assumption is that when buying such software from a vendor, that expansion of the form should be a straightforward task to be implemented by whomever handles the database for the department/city/state/whatever structure is determining the new change.

So most departments have multiple reporting systems. Police reports in the "Johnny did a bad thing, here's the details" are done in one system. Evidence storage is done in another. Case management talks to reports but is a seperate thing.

So this could be a software fix or it could quite literally be property room personnel making tick marks on a paper form with a pencil any time one is checked in as evidence.
    This is very good to know. Also, I very much hope that it's not being done literally in pencil.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A half truth is a powerful fear weapon only because the hearer does not know the whole truth.

To start with, even a trigger mod dos not overcome magazine limitations.

The huge cyclic rate is loud & proud in the first part of the article. People ignorant of any reality believe there is 1200 bullets coming out of the firearm, for a long time, like in the movies. With a 30 round mag, that rate is over in 1.5 seconds.

The first M-16's were not made for 3 round burst. The 20 round magazines were empty before the guy let go, leaving him in worse danger. That is why the burst trigger was developed.

1200 of even the little 5.56 X 45 round weights over 30 lbs. Your local neighborhood thug is not dragging 32 lbs of ammo when he wants to car jack someone. Full auto, semi auto or single shot, the main problem is not the weapon, it is the evil thug that is willing to use the first shot against you.

If a guy is dug in with a belt feed weapon, and 4 grunts carrying ammo, that is a different story.

Top Bottom