• Trijicon or Vortex?

• Total voters

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I'm just going to be honest and say while I would not say I'm an elitist, I certainty like big brand name items. everyone has a budget myself included however the difference between a five or $600 scope versus $1000 scope doesn't mean much to me. I just want something that's good and going to last. This is going to be a fun all out build. Guns are my one vice and I like to spend money on them. Makes me want to go to work so I can make more. Lol. I have $250 glass on my kidd rifle and that's fine for that gun but I want to kick it up a notch on this one.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Because the rifle and optic are a system. And that system is only as good as the weakest link.

If it suits your purposes, that's great. But it also means you probably don't NEED a DD, and you certainly aren't using it to its potential. If you were, a $300 optic wouldn't be on it. A budget optic on a high end rifle is a mis-match.....that's not elitist, it's a true statement. You get what you pay for with optics. You can't have cheap, robust, good glass, and repeatable mechanics.

But not everyone has to NEED something to buy it. I certainly don't use my KTM 990 to its full potential.....but I have it because I like it. It's your money, spend it how you see fit, we're all adults here.

It's not a mismatch because it meets my needs for the rifle perfectly. I wanted a medium-high mag scope FIXED magnification, tough as nails and dead-nuts accurate. My scope has all that. For an SPR-style rifle that mostly shoots paper, it works well.

I don't need a DD. Nobody does.

But I find quality a special kind of satisfaction. It's nice that I didn't have to spend a fortune to get than an an optic for this particular usage.

For a different usage-- a shorter range carbine for a class, HD nor SHTF gun, whatever, I would have bought a red dot and it would be an Aimpoint. Cheaper red dots are affordable and good, but if I really, really need the gun to run all the time, it's getting an aimpoint, end of story.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Apples/oranges.
    :bs:It is exactly as I said, wad blown on "X" gun, so, gud enuf makes the package complete! To tell a person that they bought a quality rifle, capable of MObetter than most can shoot, that a bargain basement optic is gud enuf is a disservice. You yourself may make the compromise, because it meets your needs(and or budget), but to tell another that is the way to go is, again, a disservice!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    :bs:It is exactly as I said, wad blown on "X" gun, so, gud enuf makes the package complete! To tell a person that they bought a quality rifle, capable of MObetter than most can shoot, that a bargain basement optic is gud enuf is a disservice. You yourself may make the compromise, because it meets your needs(and or budget), but to tell another that is the way to go is, again, a disservice!

So tell me what I'm lacking. The turret accuracy is dead on. The glass is clear and bright enough even in marginal light. It's a bit heavy, but I can live with that in my usage.

I'm not proposing a one-size fits all. To the contrary, I'm arguing precisely the OPPOSITE. It's the sheep who think you have to spend X amount of money because you spent X on the rifle that are performing this disservice.

Someone who is building up an SPR with a 4x carbine optic has a "mismatch" even if they spend $1200 on that optic. Match the optic to the purpose and usage of the rifle.

Not the budget. Matching by budget is foolishness.

For example, if the gun it for goofing at range, a Primary Arms is perfectly fine. Going to war? You better have an Aimpoint or real combat-proven optic. And spending $800 more than the Aimpoint just so it "matches" a pricey rifle is absurdity.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So tell me what I'm lacking. The turret accuracy is dead on. The glass is clear and bright enough even in marginal light. It's a bit heavy, but I can live with that in my usage.

I'm not proposing a one-size fits all. To the contrary, I'm arguing precisely the OPPOSITE. It's the sheep who think you have to spend X amount of money because you spent X on the rifle that are performing this disservice.

Someone who is building up an SPR with a 4x carbine optic has a "mismatch" even if they spend $1200 on that optic. Match the optic to the purpose and usage of the rifle.

Not the budget. Matching by budget is foolishness.

For example, if the gun it for goofing at range, a Primary Arms is perfectly fine. Going to war? You better have an Aimpoint or real combat-proven optic. And spending $800 more than the Aimpoint just so it "matches" a pricey rifle is absurdity.
    Seedubs actually stated exactly that on page 2. "Good glass" usually costs more than the rifle to begin with. Vortex actually is probably the best "value" on the market as far as glass, turrets, and repeatability. They aren't cheap, even for a "cheap" optic. As far as "matching" by budget goes, you started that with your $300 scope on your $1000 rifle? Most people buying optics spend as much, or more, on the optic for their rifle. I've yet to find your situation($300 scope with good everything) but I guess there's a chance unicorns exist?

Top Bottom