• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    what is a dead length bullet seating die? do they make one for 9mm? i read this type of die helps maintain an accurate COAL.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never really saw a need for a special die for this. Every press I own moves the ram up the exact same amount when I make a full stroke. Unless you have a really cheap press with a lot of flex in it, how could the measurement change? (If your press flexes on bullet seating, which requires very little pressure, I do not know how you could possibly resize a rifle case). Maybe I am missing something does this die compensate for someone who does not push the handle all the way down?

The Max COAL for 9mm is 1.169". I set up my conventional seater for 1.160" and pull the handle until I run out of bullets. They all measure 1.160".

What have I missed?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I always thought the benefit of the dead length seating die is that it had no crimp shoulder, thereby imparting no crimp on the bullet that could effect COAL by potentially moving the bullet. Could very much come in handy if you're seating just a few thousanths off the lands and need repeatability.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    the COAL when running progressive on my load master varies up to .010" somtimes but mostly .005". i only load range ammo and this is ok for range ammo but i now want to be more consistent with it. is there one for 9mm?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would be VERY surprised if you can see .010" bullet seating even on a quality chronograph. I gaurantee you will not see it in your groups on the target. If a person is loading for precision rifle, you do not measure off the tip of the bullet anyway. You need to measure from the max diameter at the end of the ogive.

Any hand held pistol you decide to load for cannot tell the difference, load and enjoy, you are not handicapping yourself in any way.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I would be VERY surprised if you can see .010" bullet seating even on a quality chronograph. I gaurantee you will not see it in your groups on the target. If a person is loading for precision rifle, you do not measure off the tip of the bullet anyway. You need to measure from the max diameter at the end of the ogive.

Any hand held pistol you decide to load for cannot tell the difference, load and enjoy, you are not handicapping yourself in any way.

+1.....

Top Bottom