• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Glad to see some folks are having luck. We were close yesterday, got ahead of three toms crossing a field toward the road. We set up on the back side of a hill just across the road and they were coming right for us. Just as they got to the road someone came hauling ___ down the road on an ATV and when they crested the hill 15 yards in front of us they were putting and running in circles full sprint. Couldn't get a shot before they agreed on one direction and were gone. Pretty much the luck we've come to expect hunting our farm for turkeys. I think we average one bird killed here every other year between the two of us. Pretty discouraged at this point and with the weather forecast the next couple of days it looks like I'll be eating tag soup this year.

Yup. Same here unfortunately. My buddy heard several gobble again this morning. Said one got to probably around 60 yards, coming in behind him, gobbling every time he cutt. Some real hens intercepted him at 60 yards and he left with the ladies.

I still haven`t heard a gobble, but did see a hen this morning. She answered me each time I purred and yelped. She came in from my off side, and I was just moving because the Glock 30 was digging into my side. I saw her at about 20 yards going back the way she came, putting...

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    The weather this year has been awful, for anything that works a normal 40 hour week. I can only hunt on the weekends and it just hasnt worked out yet. However, there is still hope yet! Good luck boys and girls. Put some birds on the ground

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The area I hunt, Putnam County is in pretty bad shape for now. Roads under water by Big Walnut, and some roads washed out. Sadly, no hunting for me today, so I`ll be down to only next Saturday left. Hopefully the weather works out to hunt that day. And kill a bird, or not, I hope for at least that one last day out in the spring woods. I love being out in the last of the wild places.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    texted my buddy a few minutes ago. He killed a 22 lb. tom this morning in Putnam County. He said 2 toms and 3 jakes came in gobbling at 7:10 am. Best news is, he`ll be calling for me Saturday morning! Sounds like it may still be possible!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good luck! My partner went out to the farm Monday to do some plot work. He pulled the card from the camera overlooking the plot and we had three long beards on the plot every day for the previous six days either at 7am or 10am. I got off work Monday night around 9:30, drove home, packed my stuff and drove an hour and a half to the farm to be there yesterday morning. Got a few hours of sleep then up and situated on the plot well before dawn. Then it started raining, we anticipated this so we were prepared and although we didn't have a blind we had our rain gear on and were prepared to sit it out. Then the wind started, then the thunder and finally the lightning. Once the lightning got within a half mile we packed it up.

I'm done for the year but thankful for the two birds I got in KY.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Good luck! My partner went out to the farm Monday to do some plot work. He pulled the card from the camera overlooking the plot and we had three long beards on the plot every day for the previous six days either at 7am or 10am. I got off work Monday night around 9:30, drove home, packed my stuff and drove an hour and a half to the farm to be there yesterday morning. Got a few hours of sleep then up and situated on the plot well before dawn. Then it started raining, we anticipated this so we were prepared and although we didn't have a blind we had our rain gear on and were prepared to sit it out. Then the wind started, then the thunder and finally the lightning. Once the lightning got within a half mile we packed it up.

I'm done for the year but thankful for the two birds I got in KY.

I`ve read that turkey hunting in a commercial ground blind almost isn`t even sporting...that unlike white-tail deer, turkeys pay no attention to the blind. I cannot say how much truth there is to that, as I`ve never been in a blind and had turkeys come to the call. But anyway, thanks for the well wishes, and sorry to hear that your last hunt got rained out, and that you`re calling it quits for the spring season. Congratulation though on the Kentucky birds! Wild turkey breast is a wonderful thing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We don't typically use blinds unless its raining, mostly because we like to move around. They definitely have a use when bow hunting though.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Well, the 2017 spring Indiana Turkey season is in the books for me. Got out this morning and had a cool time, but no bird. I set out the Avian-X feeding hen, and 1/4 strut jake dekes, then settled in an hour before legal shooting time. At 6:18 am I clucked softly with a diaphragm call, and I heard a turkey coming through the trees to my left. It was a gobbler, and he pitched into the field 60 or 70 yards out, and took a long look at my decoys. I clucked softly again a couple times, and he started feeding slowly away. I called softly again, but I just couldn`t get him to come back. Saw several deer crossing the field about 150 yards out, but not another turkey, and never heard a gobble. Ah well. I had a wonderful time out in the woods, saw a few birds, some deer, and got to really relax out in Gods` creation. All in all, a pretty good season.

I`m glad everyone was safe, and congratulations to those who killed birds. Next up will be squirrels, then mourning doves, then, finally,Indiana's bow season for white-tail deer.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I was hoping you'd get one Gregr, glad to hear you enjoyed it anyway.

Thank you sir. Of course, I would have preferred to have gotten a bird, but, it was a great time hunting. My buddy wants for a group of us to go to Kentucky next spring. He know`s a guy who know`s a guy sorta thing. Sounds like a good time.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Saw this on our local news website and was somewhat surprised:
    [FONT=&amp]"The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says hunters harvested more than 13,000 wild turkeys during the 2017 spring hunting season.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]That’s good for a seven percent increase from 016. It’s also the third-highest spring turkey harvest on record.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Indiana’s youth turkey hunting season was April 22-23. The regular spring turkey season was April 26-May 14.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The IDNR says weather did not appear to be a limiting factor, despite large amounts of rainfall and flooding."[/FONT]

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Saw this on our local news website and was somewhat surprised:
    [FONT=&amp]"The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says hunters harvested more than 13,000 wild turkeys during the 2017 spring hunting season.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]That’s good for a seven percent increase from 016. It’s also the third-highest spring turkey harvest on record.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Indiana’s youth turkey hunting season was April 22-23. The regular spring turkey season was April 26-May 14.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The IDNR says weather did not appear to be a limiting factor, despite large amounts of rainfall and flooding."[/FONT]

What`s interesting is, how depending on location, some were, and others were not hearing much gobbling, or seeing what appeared to be breeding activity. It`s difficult to see the bigger picture because we`re focused only on our own area, and our own hunting, and don`t really have access to much other information in real time.

Thanks for posting this information. Information, and valid data are always key.

Top Bottom