• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    yeah i dont get it. the twins chose the lethal injection instead of living the rest of their lives in complete darkness. can you imagine being deaf and blind for the rest of your life?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    yeah i dont get it. the twins chose the lethal injection instead of living the rest of their lives in complete darkness. can you imagine being deaf and blind for the rest of your life?

A lot more easily than I can imagine being dead and leaving my husband abandoned and my children motherless.

Hellen Keller wasn't all that anyway.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We could just go back to the old British law that prescribed the death sentence for attempted suicide.
    Just stab or shoot the wall, claim you missed, and turn yourself in. The state claims to have the most humane methods of killing people.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    How is it not a Godwin? Because it's not a direct reference? (Seriously - want to learn. LOL)

Because while it fits part of the Law, the inevitable comparison to Hitler or the Nazis, it doesn't fit the need for the comparison to be hyperbole. There are a significant percentage of people who genuinely believe that legal assisted suicide to be a form of state sponsored eugenics.

Godwin was hoping to reduce the hyperbolic use of comparison to Hitler or the Nazis in his meme experiment, not eliminate it when it was actually appropriate. For instance, comparing gun confiscation to Nazi Germany is actually appropriate and thus would not be cause for invoking Godwin's Law.

One of the corollaries is that you can't deliberately invoke Hitler to end the discussion, and another corollary is that once invoked, all useful discussion in that thread is over.

I was participating in a USENET discussion where Godwin first posited the Law.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think Himmler would just be happy that the "defectives" are killing themselves and saving the "Master Race" the trouble of exterminating them.

This way the Affordable Care Act won't have to withhold care when it is no longer affordable.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Man - that's all way over my head. And I'm tall. :-(

Simple explanation: if, during an online discussion, you compared refusing to sell a gun to someone because you don't like the way they looked to the actions of the Nazis, that would be Godwin's Law. If you compared roving bands of state sponsored vigilantes pulling people out of their homes and beating them up to Nazis, that wouldn't be Godwin's Law.

He was pointing out that as online discussions evolved into more and more ludicrous claims, the odds of whatever non-nazi like thing being compared to Nazis or Hitler increased to the point of certainty.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    People who are against making Nazi comparisons are people who want others to forget the lessons learned from dealing with the Nazis. Now, the question is WHY?

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    It's narcissistic to try to understand the pathos of being completely removed from all sensory functions that define our reality until you have to live it.

I can't imagine their despair in realizing the fate that awaited them in this world.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    theysayisagorilla
    Top Bottom