• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    I see sears has the 14-26 gun safes on sale this week for 579.00 supposedly 150 bucks off. Cannon is the brand? Are these good safes? Any ideas? Thanks in advance

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Maybe not so relevant to this discussion, but I got a hell of a deal on a gun safe. $150 for a like new sentry 10 gun safe. woot woot! And yes I know a cement encased armor plated jobber with automated offensive countermeasures would better secure my valuables. But my wallet no likey.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Note it ws the electrical lock and not the cannon safe "per safe" that had the issue for that blogger. As cannon stated they don't make the "electrical lock" for their safes. I think they use the same company the other heavy hitter liberty, etc... use for the electrical lock.

Get yourself a MECHANICAL LOCK instead. Ya'll be able to open your safe should an EMP blast occurs. :D

With that said all the safes "physcially" are going to do the job (ie. help deter someone from getting your guns). The more expensive the safe the more time it takes to break into it or take (lift out of house). So you can't compare a $150 Wal-Mart safe locker to a $700 Cannon/Liberty to a $3000 Ft. Knox safe.

You need to understand what you want your safe for?

1) Keeping the little hands off the guns (safe locker is ok)
    2) Keeping your extra guns in a secure place (enter/mid level safe is OK - BOLTED to the floor so long as you understand it's not fully secure)
    2) Keeping your "safe queens full auto MG" safe the a custom made $3K+ is what you need.

The OP does not say but me thinks its #2.

What are you concerned about? Theft or fire/water damage? If thefy they you need to look at the weight of the safe (more weight = better harder to take) and gauge of steel. The lower the guage the thicker the steel and thus it takes longer to pry out.

In terms of fire/water yes there are features to look at but the one most OVERLOOKED is not the safe itself but the CUSTOMER SERVICE from the company that made the safe. Since in a case of fire/water you are going to have to contact the company to come open the safe for you and all that jazz. So how have other customers who have had this occur have been treated? What expenses if any occured? Does the company give you a new safe of equal of greater value, etc...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Mechanical lock is probably a good idea for the EMP blast issue. Does Cannon say up front that the lock is not covered, if they don't say that then the warranty is misleading. Maybe the hinges are made in China by Hong Kong Fooey Hinge Company and they are not covered either, I think Cannon is wrong here or at least they have made a very poor business decision.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Johnson Safe

I know...They cost more....but you ever heard. you get what you pay for?? I will promise you that is the case with these. Also, he is a site supporter/advertiser. All of his safes are made with 100%USA product and they are made in Indiana. Just check it out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Mechanical lock is probably a good idea for the EMP blast issue. Does Cannon say up front that the lock is not covered, if they don't say that then the warranty is misleading. Maybe the hinges are made in China by Hong Kong Fooey Hinge Company and they are not covered either, I think Cannon is wrong here or at least they have made a very poor business decision.

I did not fully follow the prior blog postings that the guy wrote but in a nutshell Cannon "service" did a **** poor job and it was documented. The guy (safe owner) had his heart set on a mechanical lock but against his own thinking went with an electrical instead. Something messed up on the electrical (a thing so common @ the time that lots of owners had the issue) and I guess he tried to get Cannon to replace it and they said no (not part of warranty) he explained that's not what there papers said they had a hissy fit, he blogged, the world got wind of it, VP of cannon spoke to him and had a hissy fit, and in the end fixed the issue anyways.

Moral of the story BAD service but good product. Note sure if the service has changed or not. Me would think if that VP is still there then no. :dunno:

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Im in a holding pattern too then. Maybe its time to get a nice one from Johnson safes and know its warranty is good.

I would buy from no other than Jeff at Johnson's safe. He shoots straight and after immense research I believe builds a high quality product. His welds (and where and how much he welds) is terrific. His doors are either 1/4" or 3/8" steel and he uses Ceramic blanket material instead of fiber board) for a very high fire rating.

He charged me $125 to deliver and install and that included bolting it to the cement floor with four anchors.

Also, being in electronics and computers for a living I'd suggest staying away from an electronic safe. Go mechanical and your grand kids (and their kids) will still be using that safe!

And...no, I get no kick-back or incentive for saying this... just a very happy customer.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I would also consider Don's Liberty Safe. I was very pleased with my experience and also with the pricing. Its American made and he is great to deal with.

Welcome to Don's Liberty Safe - Liberty Safes

*Disclaimer* I also do not get paid, I am just a happy customer and I guarantee you that he will be Gander Mountain on the Fat Boy 64 or the Jr's.

PS Steer clear of electronic locks if you can, for many reasons.

Top Bottom