• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I am an engineer. Nearly everything in my possession has been paid for by my ability to solve problems. The key to solving problems is to identify the root cause of the issue. There are many ways to work your way back to the cause of an issue. After the root cause is identified then a corrective action plan can be implemented to address the cause.

A simple 5 why analysis:
    26 people are dead
    why
    they had trauma wounds
    why
    the man with a gun shot them
    why
    the man was mentally ill
    why
    the man did not receive proper treatment for his disease
    why
    he or people that should be responsible for him did not seek proper treatment for his disease.

A good way to check if the last effect you got to is reasonable is to go backwards and use therefor instead of why.

When I see all the media calls for gun control it just drives me crazy that they want to strip people of their rights with no impact on the root cause of the issue. The gun(s) is an implement that was used, It could have easily been replaced with a car, explosive device,gas bomb, knife, bat etc. Should we ban all those too? If I thought turning in my guns would resolve the issue they can come get them all. The fact is the gun is not the root cause of the issue and banning \ confiscating them will have no affect on the root cause of the issue. :twocents:

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    A simple 5 why analysis:
    26 people are dead
    why
    they had trauma wounds
    why
    A man with a gun shot them
    why
    the man had access to firearms
    why
    His mother had firearms available
    why
    Because the government allowed her to legally purchase baby killing ar-15s

Im also an engineer, and that method of root cause analysis is very interpretive.

Try a fault tree.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    For the record, I agree with the op. Just showing how his analysis isn't really a valid way of showing that guns weren't the problem. It only shows that the guy should have had mental health assistance of some sort.

timrok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    I think thinking clearly and level headed versus running on passions, hates and political agendas is needed. It is easy to strike out at a perceived evil especially since there is no closure as the mentally ill person took his own life. What we are ignoring is responsible gun owners will act responsibly and irresponsible people will always be problematic whatever means they choose to strike with. The tragic part is that it took 26 people to be murdered to bring it to our collective attentions. The sad thing is they still can’t see the root cause for what it is and are trying to band aid it by suggesting things like arming school teachers, banning of some sort firearms, installing bigger locks on doors.
    When are we going to see and face the real issue? That is what firearms do for us, protect us when the criminal element, mentally troubled, or whatever come through our front door. Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee firearms won’t end up in the wrong hands. But then we can’t prevent the tragic misuse of explosives, automobiles, or whatever becomes the next best mass killing instrument.

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    Amen and Amen

There are laws in place to prevent mentally challenged individuals from posessing fire arms. Did the laws prevent this? No!

Not knowing the mother or Adam, it is easy to armchair what went wrong, but from what I have read the kid seemed to be a shy intorverted gentle kid. Sometimes there is just no way to tell what you are dealing with until they snap.

Best defense would have been to have armed personnel within the school to act as first responders. Just like the rest of the cowards the first bit or resistance they encounter they turn the gun on themselves. Had the principle or front office returned fire, this might have been a much different story...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There are many cultural and psychological effects to take into account as to "why" those who are opposed to firearms theorize the way they do. American people are task oriented, meaning they look for a specific "cause-effect" type of relationships which drives them to identify solutions. This motivation often leads them to not analyze all factors and rather assume the "path of least resistance" by identifying the easiest possible problem.

Also, humans naturally stereotype by which I mean they categorize things for ease of use/memory. We take in too much information on a regular basis so our brains naturally categorize not only for ease, but also as a "defense mechanism." When things cause us pain, whether physical, emotional, or psychological we categorize certain features of what caused that pain in order to attempt to avoid a repeat.

Given this, when they have no rationale based in proper firearms education they identify the weapon as the "cause" of the problem because it's easier than exploring the TRUE "root causes." They need to blame SOMETHING and the gun is the easiest thing to rationalize because they have no formal education in them.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    The 5 why method can definately be very subjective. When people have a skewed opinion, it tends to taint the RPS/RCCA. I prefer the old navy method of the 7 step troubleshooting method. All these used properly in conjunction without letting personal opinions (otherwise known as qualitative data), can lead to verifiable, and repeatable results.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Just trying to give a very basic example no need to go all "rocket surgeon" on them from the get go. I just haven't seen any call for a methodical approach to resolving the root cause vs pitch forking the gun owners\ industry.

Sometimes a corrective action can not be implemented because the root cause is not fully understood yet, the fix is too expensive (perhaps not a good reason in this case) ,etc. In these cases "short" term countermeasures are implemented to treat the symptoms before a permanent corrective action can be implemented and confirmed. Perhaps one of these should be training willing volunteers\staff at schools or any place of business for that matter.

The various outlet for firearms and accessories pulling products is a horrible move in my opinion because it gives a "yeah you caught us red handed" message as far as I am concerned.

I'll carry my pistol until my last breath or until the corrective action is implemented and confirmed. I fear my last breath will be the shorter time period though.

BTW I've been carrying for 14 yrs and my evil pistol hasn't harmed anything yet except a few pair of jeans before taking the edges off. Of course in the media most guns have already completed 2 or 3 genocides before leaving the factory.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom